Salary Cap: I wonder if the leafs go full cap next year.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I had an idea, I may be crazy but it seems crazy enough to work. FAs that seem as though they'll be valuable at the TD, offer them much more than they are worth. E.g. If a contender is willing to pay 2 mill for a player offer 3-3.5 on a one year deal with a promise they'll be dealt to a contender. That was we poach valuable talent away from any contenders, and at the TD retain 50% and deal them off.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Just pick up a bunch of guys on 1 year deals and flip them at the deadline for assets like we did this year.

Let the prospects continue developing in the AHL.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Quite possible that they go up against the cap to utilize Horton's Contract.I am pretty sure that was the whole idea of the Clarkson deal actually. Everyone can figure out some cap options mow that this trade deadline is finally over.

We are relieved of the debate on how much Franson should get. I am glad for that. He will likely get $5,000,000 plus that we are not to be concerned with. Clarkson added to that has relieved possibly $11,000,000 in space alone. That's pretty much plenty of flexability.

Main question I would like to have discussed in this thread is: How much cap space would you prefer to be left next season from game # 1?

I think we should start the season with a minimum 10% below counting in Horton's hit.

We have to build a competitive team with built in cap space options. I would like to never be against the cap as a way of doing business in the future. Its a position of strength on many ways at and previous to deadline days like today.

I am hoping the leafs stop these long term deals and start trading players who want anything longer than 3 or 4 years. We don't need these deals unless they ate franchise players we are giving them to.

Looking forward to your thoughts on how you would like to see the cap managed through this rebuild.

Some food for thought (I miss capgeek)...

The Leafs were a cap team this year.... notable changes to next year include the following:
Cody Franson +$3.3m
Mike Santorelli +$1.5m
Dan Winnik +$1.3m
David Booth +$1.1m
Tim Gleason -$1m
David Clarkson +$5.25m
Cap Increase +$2.2m

Total increase in usable cap space so far: $13.6m, 5 Roster Players to Replace

Now, let's look at the likely resignings, with a rough guess as to their increases:
Nazem Kadri -1.6m
Jonathan Bernier -1.6m
Richard Panik -300k
One of Kozun/Smith/somebody else on an ELC: $200k

That $13.6m becomes $9.9m.

If the Leafs make just one reasonably sized addition (say, $4.5m), that leaves them with an average of $1.35m per player to fill out the roster. I don't think they'll be as tight on the cap as they are this year because of Horton's LTIR status, but I think this board will be disappointed with just how close they will end up to the cap....with the (relative) success Toronto has had picking up "reclamation projects" in unrestricted free agency (Raymond, Santorelli, Winnik), I'd imagine it's a strategy they continue to pursue.

Last edited:

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
We won't spend to the cap, but we won't be a floor team either. Leafs will probably be somewhere within 10 million of the cap ceiling

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Some food for thought (I miss capgeek)...

The Leafs were a cap team this year.... notable changes to next year include the following:
Cody Franson +$3.3m
Mike Santorelli +$1.5m
Dan Winnik +$1.3m
David Booth +$1.1m
Tim Gleason -$1m
David Clarkson +$5.25m
Cap Increase +$2.2m

Total increase in usable cap space so far: $13.6m, 5 Roster Players to Replace

Now, let's look at the likely resignings, with a rough guess as to their increases:
Nazem Kadri -1.6m
Jonathan Bernier -1.6m
Richard Panik -300k
One of Kozun/Smith/somebody else on an ELC: $200k

That $13.6m becomes $9.9m.

If the Leafs make just one reasonably sized addition (say, $4.5m), that leaves them with an average of $1.35m per player to fill out the roster. I don't think they'll be as tight on the cap as they are this year because of Horton's LTIR status, but I think this board will be disappointed with just how close they will end up to the cap....with the (relative) success Toronto has had picking up "reclamation projects" in unrestricted free agency (Raymond, Santorelli, Winnik), I'd imagine it's a strategy they continue to pursue.

This is assuming we still have Bozak, Lupul, Phanuef, and Kessel on the team among others.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
This is assuming we still have Bozak, Lupul, Phanuef, and Kessel on the team among others.

Yeah, I think Leafs nation is going to be sorely disappointed as to the degree of substantial salary structure change we see in the offseason.

Toronto isn't going to dump Kessel and/or Phaneuf so that they can let Nylander and Rielly take the heat for what would likely be a very poor season. Similarly, they're not going to dump Bozak to have Kadri/Holland/Strome/reclamation project as their centres next year. These players may be made available for the right return, but that return will likely have a comparable contract.

Lupul strikes me as the more likely odd man out... but that really depends on whether the Leafs are confident in having basically 1 line, and a bunch of kids combined with reclamation projects for scoring depth.

One of our problems the last few years is that the team has basically gone as Kessel has.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Sign cheap, 1-year free agents.

Flip them at next year's deadline for assets.

Rinse and repeat for a few years.

Build up the picks / prospects pool.

Carry on.

The reason you don't overpay + salary retain, is because you will more than likely be heading into next season with the maximum 3 contracts retained (Gunnarsson, Phaneuf, and one of Kessel / Bozak / Lupul).

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Doubtful.

We got rid of 5.25M off the cap for next season, which will essentially go to the raises of Nazem Kadri, Richard Panik and Jonthan Bernier. We'll still have some left over as well.

2.9M + 1.6M = 4.5M for Kadri
2.9M + 1.6M = 4.5M for Bernier
0.735M + 2M = 2.735M for Panik

That's 5.2M. We still saved 50K.

Assuming we move some of Phaneuf, Kessel, Lupul and Bozak, that is up to 27M of possible salary out.

way to overpay all 3 guys especially Panik you REALLY think he goes from 735K to 2.7 million? I am telling you now not a chance in hell

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Just pick up a bunch of guys on 1 year deals and flip them at the deadline for assets like we did this year.

Let the prospects continue developing in the AHL.

That would be my play as well but I imagine MLSE will trade the big 4 and have to take back perhaps a long in the tooth star or two. They are keen on near NHL ready prospects as well so I think they are aiming for bubble again...

For entertainment purposes.

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
Take as many cap dump + asset deals as possible to the cap. Just as long as the cap dumps have contracts under 3 years.

This ^^^... The leafs should be using the cap flexibility as means to acquire additional assets / picks until such time that they have built a strong and large prospect pool. 3-5 years of taking advantage of this would make a lot of sense to me. Even using it during the trade deadlines for taking back UFA's for better picks should be done (similar to deals completed this year).

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
If we are rebuilding we shouldn't be spending to the cap. MLSE will enjoy some cost savings for the drop in revenue.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If we are rebuilding we shouldn't be spending to the cap. MLSE will enjoy some cost savings for the drop in revenue.

We aren't full rebuilding until.

Bernier, JVR, Kadri, Kessel, Lupul, Dion, Bozak Jake are all traded. If we are keeping Bernier JVR Kadri Rielly Jake we are just retooling.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
As far as I know, if we don't hit the cap then we don't get the extra cap space associated with having Horton on LTIR, which was the whole point of trading Clarkson.

Wasn't the whole point of trading Clarkson to get rid of Clarkson?

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
I'll believe that when I actually see that one is traded. Since not one was traded today, I'm not so sure the rebuild is on!

If the Leafs take on any cap dumps, we better also get top draft picks and prospects!

Those trades don't happen at the deadline. They are just too big. More teams can get involved in the summer and at the draft is when you usually see the block buster trades go down. Just the simple fact that Dion was for sure being offered and a deal was being worked on, to me anyways, proves that everyone on this team minus Rielly and maybe Kadri are avalible. Dion is not the problem and in my opinion would be the last guy moved outta Bozak, Kessel and Lupul.

Dmen of his caliber are very hard to come by. Say what you will about him but cup contenders wanted to bring him in. He is more important then any other vet on this team hence if you are trading him and not getting back a same caliber dman 1 for 1 and are getting back picks, prospects and a salary dump (which was rumoured) then the other guys have no use to you because your obviously not building on this roster and the biggest position, D, your stripping it down.

Trust me. This roster will not have Kessel or Phaneuf or Bozak and possibly Lupul on it come October. So the question is what do the leafs do with the extra cap space? salary dumps to enhance the return on these guys and salary dumps by themselves to stack picks and/or prospects.

For the first time in a long time they are picking the correct path and going down it. I have full faith in Shanny. I've never said that about any other leaf Managment group, check my post history, I've shat on all of them for good reason. This time it's different, I know it, I can feel it and I'm starting to see it. Be ready for us to suck hard the next 2-3 years but after that the cupboards are gonna be full and we will have a foundation for the first time that we have drafted and developed coming through the ranks and giving hope to us all on a level that we never had before.

Book it.

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008

Although we may not get to the cap all the time the Leafs should be taking on bad contracts in exchange for assets / picks. It would be pretty dumb if the Leafs didn't take advantage of the cap space they have during the rebuild.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
excluding Horton they should be below 60 million imo, if you spend to the cap and you miss the playoffs you have signed bad contracts period, there is no reason to spend to the cap if you don't have a good team, no need to be near the cap to potentially have that become an issue in season if a good trade presents itself. the more flexability, the better imo. they should continue the 1 year contracts to players like Santa, MacArthur, Raymond they seem to be paying off, but those are cheap contracts that wont bring you close to the max.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Leafs are not spending. They still have part of Gunnarsson's contract on their cap. Some of Winnik's money on their cap. Don't forget Horton.

Leafs will have tons of cap and expect zero free agent signings other than resigning Kadri and Bernier.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think we'll be seeing a lot of million dollar signings (and I would say it like this - we're planning on rebuilding,m but if you work hard, etc because we're the Leafs - you know your hard work will be noticed - and it will get you a better contract (or at the very least get you on a contending team).

buttman*

Yes the Leafs will go full crap next year. Just like this year and every other year.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Leafs are not spending. They still have part of Gunnarsson's contract on their cap. Some of Winnik's money on their cap. Don't forget Horton.

Leafs will have tons of cap and expect zero free agent signings other than resigning Kadri and Bernier.

Zero free agent signings isn't going to happen. What will happen is they will find guys in the Winnik and Santo mold and flip them at the deadline just like they did this year

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Quite possible that they go up against the cap to utilize Horton's Contract.I am pretty sure that was the whole idea of the Clarkson deal actually. Everyone can figure out some cap options mow that this trade deadline is finally over.

We are relieved of the debate on how much Franson should get. I am glad for that. He will likely get $5,000,000 plus that we are not to be concerned with. Clarkson added to that has relieved possibly $11,000,000 in space alone. That's pretty much plenty of flexability.

Main question I would like to have discussed in this thread is: How much cap space would you prefer to be left next season from game # 1?

I think we should start the season with a minimum 10% below counting in Horton's hit.

We have to build a competitive team with built in cap space options. I would like to never be against the cap as a way of doing business in the future. Its a position of strength on many ways at and previous to deadline days like today.

I am hoping the leafs stop these long term deals and start trading players who want anything longer than 3 or 4 years. We don't need these deals unless they ate franchise players we are giving them to.

Looking forward to your thoughts on how you would like to see the cap managed through this rebuild.

I doubt they will be up against the cap. That being said, it isn't out of the question to think that they might have a high payroll if they take on cap dumps from other teams in exchange for draft picks. If they do that and get themselves a bunch of picks I won't mind too much.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
They better, I don't care if they overpay for a bunch of one year deals that they can flip at the deadline, they make too much money to not do everything in their power to make that into an advantage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad