Salary Cap: I wonder if the leafs go full cap next year.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Quite possible that they go up against the cap to utilize Horton's Contract.I am pretty sure that was the whole idea of the Clarkson deal actually. Everyone can figure out some cap options mow that this trade deadline is finally over.

We are relieved of the debate on how much Franson should get. I am glad for that. He will likely get $5,000,000 plus that we are not to be concerned with. Clarkson added to that has relieved possibly $11,000,000 in space alone. That's pretty much plenty of flexability.

Main question I would like to have discussed in this thread is: How much cap space would you prefer to be left next season from game # 1?

I think we should start the season with a minimum 10% below counting in Horton's hit.

We have to build a competitive team with built in cap space options. I would like to never be against the cap as a way of doing business in the future. Its a position of strength on many ways at and previous to deadline days like today.

I am hoping the leafs stop these long term deals and start trading players who want anything longer than 3 or 4 years. We don't need these deals unless they ate franchise players we are giving them to.

Looking forward to your thoughts on how you would like to see the cap managed through this rebuild.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I dont think they will push the cap limit, but it depends what comes out for like 24-25 age players that maybe some other teams will want to dump or deal, because they are pushing the cap limit

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Take as many cap dump + asset deals as possible to the cap. Just as long as the cap dumps have contracts under 3 years.

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
Maybe if they take on dumps but who will they have to spend money on? Kessel, Bozak and Phaneuf are all goners and probably Luplul as well that's a lot of cash, some will go to kadri and Johnny burns. Other then that can't see them getting a big name FA. Sooooo that's a lot of dough to replace, only happens if they take on dumps.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
short answer: no.

we'll be going young, maybe adding a vet or two in ufa that's about it. this season and next will be our tank seasons, I think they will try to start competing again in 2016-2017, as guys like Nylander, brown etc. will be starting to mature by then.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Quite possible that they go up against the cap to utilize Horton's Contract.I am pretty sure that was the whole idea of the Clarkson deal actually. Everyone can figure out some cap options mow that this trade deadline is finally over.

We are relieved of the debate on how much Franson should get. I am glad for that. He will likely get $5,000,000 plus that we are not to be concerned with. Clarkson added to that has relieved possibly $11,000,000 in space alone. That's pretty much plenty of flexability.

Main question I would like to have discussed in this thread is: How much cap space would you prefer to be left next season from game # 1?

I think we should start the season with a minimum 10% below counting in Horton's hit.

We have to build a competitive team with built in cap space options. I would like to never be against the cap as a way of doing business in the future. Its a position of strength on many ways at and previous to deadline days like today.

I am hoping the leafs stop these long term deals and start trading players who want anything longer than 3 or 4 years. We don't need these deals unless they ate franchise players we are giving them to.

Looking forward to your thoughts on how you would like to see the cap managed through this rebuild.

Leafs should spend to the cap before every season. If you have the space you might as well use it.

We are destined to be a bad team and seller again next year and it'd be good to have some vets to deal.

Just need to make it shorter term deals unless its a piece worth locking up long term. We need more moves like bringing in Winnik, Santorelli types who we can insulate youngsters and deal for picks/prospects to further add to our depth. And we should also be looking at taking on a bad contract like we did with Lombardi to gain an asset like Franson.

What we absolutely don't need is to get into bidding wars for secondary pieces. That is how you get screwed with a Komisarek or Clarkson contract.

Cap wasn't an issue this season either. Very few deals happen after July and up until near the deadline. We were still able to take on a bad contract to gain a pick by taking on a bad contract in Brewer.

Last edited:

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
As far as I know, if we don't hit the cap then we don't get the extra cap space associated with having Horton on LTIR, which was the whole point of trading Clarkson.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
we should always try and be a cap team every year by signing people to really expensive 1 year deals. St. Louis comes to mind. the only reason for not being a cap team is if we're actively trying to lose or we plan on taking on a big contract and are keeping the space free for something specific.

It's fine to be up against the cap, as long as you don't sign any bad contracts. You can always move a good contract if you need cap space.

Keeping people on short deals gives you a lot of flexibility... that's the key.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Maybe if they take on dumps but who will they have to spend money on? Kessel, Bozak and Phaneuf are all goners and probably Luplul as well that's a lot of cash, some will go to kadri and Johnny burns. Other then that can't see them getting a big name FA. Sooooo that's a lot of dough to replace, only happens if they take on dumps.

I'll believe that when I actually see that one is traded. Since not one was traded today, I'm not so sure the rebuild is on!

If the Leafs take on any cap dumps, we better also get top draft picks and prospects!

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
If I were the Leafs I'd be telling teams send us your bad contracts with 3 years or less but give us something for doing it. Just like we did with Lombardi to gain Franson. Then we dealt Lombardi the next off-season well retaining some cap hit for a 4th rounder.

A short list of candidates is:
Stalberg: 2 years at 3 cap hit. Real dollars go 3.5, 3.5. Not even playing in the NHL
Vinny: 3 years at 4.5 cap hit. Real dollars go 4.5, 3, 3
Semin: 3 years at 7 cap hit. Real dollars go 7, 7, 7
Weiss: 3 years at 4.9 cap hit. Real dollars go 6, 6, 4

There are other names like Laich, Ference, Hemsky, Greening who teams would like to unload.

We can keep these guys for a season or two or trade them right away by taking up to half their cap hits which could make some of the above a desired piece

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Doubtful.

We got rid of 5.25M off the cap for next season, which will essentially go to the raises of Nazem Kadri, Richard Panik and Jonthan Bernier. We'll still have some left over as well.

2.9M + 1.6M = 4.5M for Kadri
2.9M + 1.6M = 4.5M for Bernier
0.735M + 2M = 2.735M for Panik

That's 5.2M. We still saved 50K.

Assuming we move some of Phaneuf, Kessel, Lupul and Bozak, that is up to 27M of possible salary out.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I don't think so. Don't think it would make sense to use the LTIR space just for the sake of using it. Who will they even have to fill that much cap? Kessel, Phaneuf, Bozak and Lupul will likely be gone, who are they going to get to replace their cap hits? Not like free agency has many big names. They'll no doubt take on some cap dumps to move guys and to gain picks, but not enough to go right up to the salary cap.

This team is rebuilding, no point being right up against the cap just for the sake of using LTIR space.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I doubt we'll be pushing the cap but I also doubt we'll be shedding cap for the sake of shedding cap. We'll take back dollars where we need to and sign guys who have the character and work ethic we want to infuse into the roster where it makes sense to.

I'm more concerned with contract terms moving forward than I am dollars

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I'd say somewhere between 65 and 67 million, including Horton. I'd say Bozak is off the books, but thats it. I doubt we get rid of Phaneuf until next offseason and we'll probably get jack all back (A couple picks + prospect + an overpaid bottom pairing D). Kessel's staying through the rebuild for when we get an actual centre of him to play with.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Well Clarkson was probably so other player can't use him as a comparable.

Overall I am happy with the moves we made sans Bozak not being moved.

Feb 24, 2004

If the Leafs want to ice a $62M team next season, they will. If they want to ice a $69M team next season, they will. Pretend like Horton isn't even there.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They should keep going for Winnik and Santorelli type free agents with a mind towards selling at the deadline. Use the offseason to unload as many of Bozak, Kessel, Phaneuf and Lupul as possible.

And closely monitor Stamkos, and be ready to make an offer.

Re-emerge as a leaner, better built team with upside and cap space.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Doubtful.

We got rid of 5.25M off the cap for next season, which will essentially go to the raises of Nazem Kadri, Richard Panik and Jonthan Bernier. We'll still have some left over as well.

2.9M + 1.6M = 4.5M for Kadri
2.9M + 1.6M = 4.5M for Bernier
0.735M + 2M = 2.735M for Panik

That's 5.2M. We still saved 50K.

Assuming we move some of Phaneuf, Kessel, Lupul and Bozak, that is up to 27M of possible salary out.

not sure how panik putting up 12 points is worth 2.7m, he'll get like 1m-1.5m max

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Sign rentals in the UFA for 1 year and no more. Show them the money Winnik receives in the free agency and tell them that could be you next year. Entice them with exposure. Make the deal as cheap as you can so we can trade them at the TD.

I am I

Feb 18, 2010

Good lord! Why would we sign them to long term deals after they ate our franchise players? :amazed:

But seriously, it is always better to have the flexibility when you are under the cap. Lets us pick bad contracts that facilitate deals, or to "help" teams out with their expensive (but talented) players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad