I wonder if the Bruins will follow suit to repay fans?

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
From NHL.com...

The Pittsburgh Penguins will offer FREE selected concession items and “half off†all merchandise at the team’s first four games at CONSOL Energy Center.

Every fan attending each of those games will receive a voucher for three free concession items. Fans may choose from among hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches, nachos, popcorn, pretzels, salads and fountain drinks.

All merchandise at “PensGear†stores will be half off for the first four games. The PensGear store in the main lobby of CONSOL Energy Center and PensGear at SouthSide Works will offer the half-off discount throughout the day on the first four home dates.

In addition, the Penguins will hold a week-long program of contests for fans to win exciting prizes leading up to the home opener. The contests will be held via social media and the team’s website. Prizes include:

A pair of tickets to every home game during the 2013 regular season
A road trip for two to see the Penguins play the Rangers in New York City (airfare, accommodations, tickets)
Three autographed jerseys – one each from Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Marc-Andre Fleury
Four seats in the first row at the home opener, including dinner in the Lexus Club and limo service to and from the game
Two five-game mini-plans
Six lower bowl tickets to any regular season game
$700 of merchandise at PensGear
Training camp sessions at CONSOL Energy Center will be open to the public (free admission).

The Penguins will distribute promotional items at each of the first 15 home games. All fans attending the home opener will receive a gold “Great Day For Hockey†t-shirt.

The team will provide single-game ticket information as soon as the NHL schedule is released. Updates about fan initiatives will be announced in the coming days.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
My guess is the Bruins will give away posters with the team lineups on the back.:laugh:

To the first 1000 to arrive, I'm sure.

Tampa already sold season tickets for $200, if you saw that on the main board. We'd be lucky to take a friend/kid/someone for $200 :laugh:

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Coyotes seem to get it too:

“We have made it a priority to stay in touch with our season ticket base throughout the work stoppage and have held family skating events at the Ice Den and Jobing.com Arena,†said Coyotes president and COO Mike Nealy.

Nealy said the team hopes to allow fans to attend for free an intra-squad game during the Coyotes short training camp next week.

He said once the 48-game schedule is finalized and released the team will announce some special deals for regular season games aimed at fan appreciation.

“Once the NHL schedule is officially released, we will identify certain games where we will be offering special value to thank our fans for their incredible loyalty and support,†Nealy said.
The Coyotes made the Western Conference Finals last season after winning two Stanley Cup playoff rounds.

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
It never ends with you.

:laugh:

My initial thought too. That said, the Bruins don't have to do this stuff the way TB and Phoenix do. This is a hockey market. The PHX stuff seems sort of like a half measure anyways- family skates??

If the Bruins did the Penguins thing you'd get people saying it wasn't enough, they still make a nice profit margin even on 50% off swag , etc, etc.

That said, I bet the B's do something. My prediction is that it will be met with more derision than appreciation, but given recent events that's not a surprise.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
If I know Jeremy Jacobs, and I like to think I do, I'm sure he's been burning the candle at both ends trying to think of ways to thank Bruins fans for their loyalty. I'm sure we'll all be overwhelmed with his generosity and kindness this season.

Looch

B's, C's, Sox & Pats
Jun 22, 2009
Gilford, NH
My initial thought too. That said, the Bruins don't have to do this stuff the way TB and Phoenix do. This is a hockey market. T

That's because JJ knows we are sheep. Which is why he was leading the way for the lockout.

I expect to get my free small popcorn voucher in the mail with my season tickets some time next week. Not expecting to be able to use my voucher till '13-14 pre-season games though.

It will be a cold day in hell when you see JJ giving away 10k hot dogs, nachos and chicken sandwiches. And if he does, I expect prices to go up a quarter for the rest of the season to pay for the "freebies"

BergyMeister

Overpaid 4th liner
Mar 5, 2010
Tampa Via Vermont.
If I know Jeremy Jacobs, and I like to think I do, I'm sure he's been burning the candle at both ends trying to think of ways to thank Bruins fans for their loyalty. I'm sure we'll all be overwhelmed with his generosity and kindness this season.
I'm sure JJ is working on it as we type.
mr-buns.gif

1 of the 14448

Nov 2, 2005
North Andover, MA
It's called a goodwill effort.

Maybe, just once since his team became good since they bottomed out post-Bourque, he could make the fans who pay huge amounts of money for ticket not feel so taken for granted.

And the concept is as foreign to Jeremy Jacobs as his love of the game of hockey.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
It's called a goodwill effort.

Maybe, just once since his team became good since they bottomed out post-Bourque, he could make the fans who pay huge amounts of money for ticket not feel so taken for granted.

And the concept is as foreign to Jeremy Jacobs as his love of the game of hockey.

but, but....BRAACK, BRAACK...HE SPENDS TO THE CAP PAYS TO THE CAP...BRAACK BRAACK!

Last edited:

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
That's because JJ knows we are sheep. Which is why he was leading the way for the lockout.

I expect to get my free small popcorn voucher in the mail with my season tickets some time next week. Not expecting to be able to use my voucher till '13-14 pre-season games though.

It will be a cold day in hell when you see JJ giving away 10k hot dogs, nachos and chicken sandwiches. And if he does, I expect prices to go up a quarter for the rest of the season to pay for the "freebies"

I am not a sheep and I think that's an oversimplified interpretation of his role in everything.

Sucks that this form of entertainment was on hiatus the way it was, but it is what it is. Just like how I love the movies and didn't boycott those during the writer's strike ('07) or the actor's strike ('00), or expect reduced ticket or DVD prices once each was over.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Honest question...what's the purpose of these initiatives? To draw fans in? To make fans feel good?

Looch

B's, C's, Sox & Pats
Jun 22, 2009
Gilford, NH
I am not a sheep and I think that's an oversimplified interpretation of his role in everything.

My intention was to oversimplify it. ;)

He knows we are all sheep = he knows his fan base is as strong as any team's + he will retain the vast majority of his avid fans.

He will do something I'm sure. But it will be small in comparison to what Pittsburgh and Phoenix did. They offered 50% off merchandise. I would be absolutely shocked if JJ did this. I'm sure he'll offer 15-20%. Keep in mind, Pittsburgh has a very strong ST base. I believe their wait list is projected to be even longer than Boston's. They don't have to do this. They could offer piddly stuff like JJ is going to do. They are making a concerted effort to go above and belong imo. Many will scoff at it. I think it's fairly noble of them though.

Honest question...what's the purpose of these initiatives? To draw fans in? To make fans feel good?

If I had to guess, I'd say both.

Believe it or not, free food is a draw for some. And 50% off overpriced merchandise is a draw for may...including me.

BlackNgold 84

Known Kellyist
Nov 21, 2011
Massachusetts
My intention was to oversimplify it. ;)

He knows we are all sheep = he knows his fan base is as strong as any team's + he will retain the vast majority of his avid fans.

He will do something I'm sure. But it will be small in comparison to what Pittsburgh and Phoenix did. They offered 50% off merchandise. I would be absolutely shocked if JJ did this. I'm sure he'll offer 15-20%. Keep in mind, Pittsburgh has a very strong ST base. I believe their wait list is projected to be even longer than Boston's. They don't have to do this. They could offer piddly stuff like JJ is going to do. They are making a concerted effort to go above and belong imo. Many will scoff at it. I think it's fairly noble of them though.

If I had to guess, I'd say both.

Believe it or not, free food is a draw for some. And 50% off overpriced merchandise is a draw for may...including me.

50% off merch is pretty huge. Doesn't matter who you're owner is. If JJ went out and did was the penguins did or anything resembling that i'd applaud him, and i think MANY fans would.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
My God, what is this Oliver Twist?

We want hockey and we're getting hockey. We pay to watch and get to watch. That's the deal.

It's a business and in reality that is all that is 'owed'.
There is no entitlement.

If getting free stuff means so much then move to Tampa or Pittsburgh.

Cripes some of you would hit the ****ing lottery and then cry about paying the taxes. Nothing is ever good enough.

IntentionallyWide

The poster formerly known as gobruins14
Sponsor
Aug 9, 2006
Can't wait to get my gold rally towel that was leftover from the early playoff exit last year!!!!

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

We want hockey and we're getting hockey. We pay to watch and get to watch. That's the deal.

There is no entitlement.

Cripes some of you would hit the ****ing lottery and then cry about paying the taxes. Nothing is ever good enough.

Pretty much, and this is why I asked what I did.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

There is no entitlement.

No kidding...Piss and moan because there is no hockey...piss and moan now it's back.:help:

Piss and moan about their refunds from the B's. Just don't buy seats next time. You know they will honor the $$$ you "invested". You will get your future tickets that will already be paid for.

We all knew this lockout was a possibility when we signed on last Spring to buy our seats for this year. Good Lord. :shakehead

DROP THE DAMN PUCK !!!

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
shop nhl should do something significant IMO. Let us grab some garb cheap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad