Friedman: "I wonder about Dustin Byfuglien" (asked about surprise player who may be available)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You obviously haven’t watched him play if you think he has been bad. The jets have asked him to play a more responsible defensive role, and take less chances making unnecessary pinches, and look where it has the team. Classic case of someone not watching games, and making matter of fact statements based on looking at the stats pages.
Well the quote "from what I've seen of him" describes that when I've seen him, he hasn't played well. Simple enough, really. I don't watch him every game, but I highly doubt he turns into a Norris calibre defenseman when I'm not.

Regardless, he's a $7.5m defenseman. I'll be surprised if he returns a windfall.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Well the quote "from what I've seen of him" describes that when I've seen him, he hasn't played well. Simple enough, really. I don't watch him every game, but I highly doubt he turns into a Norris calibre defenseman when I'm not.

Regardless, he's a $7.5m defenseman. I'll be surprised if he returns a windfall.
From what I've seen of Seguin this year, he's been really bad. I don't really watch Dallas games at all, maybe I've seen a few minutes of Seguin but he sure didn't impress me during those minutes! Obviously, I'm justified in stating that he's not very good based on that.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
Yeah if we trade Buff it won't be for a similarly aged dman. It'd be for futures or a younger dman and less futures. Poolman could easily step in as the third RHD.

I doubt they'll trade him unless he asks for a trade.

You have to wonder here. the Jets have drafted so well, I almost wonder if it's even possible to put together a package of futures that would be worth it. When you have that kind of prospect depth, you try to package it for an individual star. If I'm trading Byfuglein and looking for futures, I'm probably looking for a kid that maybe a team undervalues and who I think has a reasonable change at becoming a Buff level player, rather than a package of useful/interesting prospects.

I'm not a Kulikov fan, and I think the left side is probably the most obvious place for the Jets to upgrade. Obviously if you trade Buff for another right-shot guy, you're just delaying the same problem, and the Jets aren't exactly hurting for scorers. I know we always make everything about the Leafs, but I wonder if there's a deal to be made around Travis Dermott. It sounds like they love the kid, so I'm not sure their willingness to move him, but if you figure the Leafs are a tire fire on the right side (Carrick is competent when sheltered, Zaitsev has been caved in his entire time in North America, Roman Polak is maybe the worst player in the NHL), and Dermott has an uphill climb to supplant Morgan Rielly and Jake Gardiner, he could be an interesting starting point for that kind of trade. Not sure what else would have to go in, but it's worth considering.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
if he will play the right side less then whats the issue? trouba-buff pairing would be good

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
if he will play the right side less then whats the issue? trouba-buff pairing would be good

Playing two D who shoot the same way together costs an average of like, three shot attempts per 60 minutes at even strength. Over the long haul, that's a pretty big cut. Of course, I honestly think Tyler Myers sucks, so I would just play both Byfuglien and Trouba a lot of minutes and play Myers a lot less, but I'd also play Chiarot over Kulikov.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Playing two D who shoot the same way together costs an average of like, three shot attempts per 60 minutes at even strength. Over the long haul, that's a pretty big cut. Of course, I honestly think Tyler Myers sucks, so I would just play both Byfuglien and Trouba a lot of minutes and play Myers a lot less, but I'd also play Chiarot over Kulikov.
Yikes

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
So much bad in one post!

Instincts

Jan 11, 2012

There are you 3 shots. You're out :laugh:

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
If we ever move Buff I would want a young good prospect defenceman to come back our way.

I don't think Buff's contract gets you a good young defenceman. Best Jets could hope to pull off is a lateral contract move for someone Like Vlasic or Fowler (as a base of a trade not saying striaght up value) where there's a better fit situation for the Jets and another team to make that happen.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Will be interesting this summer for the Jets. I can’t imagine that he loves the reduced mins and being asked to play a defensive style. To his credit this year he hasn’t complained about either.

Funny you mentioned that and you may not of heard when you wrote this but Buff has one game below 20mins and he complained to the media. After this season the Jets need to move him. That is assuming Trouba signs long term.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
The Jets will have at least 26.6m in cap space next year. They don’t need to move any of their players. Why would they cheap out now that the team actually looks good?

It not only about next year it is about signing all of our young guys longer term and hold onto Wheeler. Can't do that with Buffs contract. If Trouba signs long term then Buff has to go even if the Jets don't get fair value back. It's about dumping his contract. Personally if all we get is a couple of draft picks but do not retain any of his wage I'd be happy with that. Again none of this happens if Trouba does not sign long term.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
It not only about next year it is about signing all of our young guys longer term and hold onto Wheeler. Can't do that with Buffs contract. If Trouba signs long term then Buff has to go even if the Jets don't get fair value back. It's about dumping his contract. Personally if all we get is a couple of draft picks but do not retain any of his wage I'd be happy with that. Again none of this happens if Trouba does not sign long term.
Show your work. None of what you’re saying is true. If the Jets choose to they can afford all their players (except Enstrom obvs)

If they spend to the cap they can keep their team intact if they choose. Trouba getting a 3m dollar raise is not the end of the world when the cap is raising at least 5m minimum next season.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Show your work. None of what you’re saying is true. If the Jets choose to they can afford all their players (except Enstrom obvs)

If they spend to the cap they can keep their team intact if they choose. Trouba getting a 3m dollar raise is not the end of the world when the cap is raising at least 5m minimum next season.

It is my opinion just like what you say is yours. Please do not call me a liar.

Cap rising 5 million? Hope your right but I'll wait until that is announced before I count on it.

To sign all of our most important young talent (Laine, Trouba, Morrisey, Helly, Lowry) long term to keep this core together will cost a lot and Wheeler will not resign cheap so it is my opinion that this cannot be done with Buff's contract on the books. I've said this before that to sign all the young guys long term one of Wheeler or Buff have to go. I'd prefer it be Buff.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Cap raising to 78-82m has already been announced friend. The Jets will be fine capwise. They could also (and probably would) move Myers if they needed the cap room that badly. Doubt either Buff or Wheeler isn’t around for awhile.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Would Sekera or Klefbom be of interest for Buff? If yes to the latter would you retain $1 million AAV?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Klefbom yes, Sekera no

So you would retain $1 million AAV for Klefbom then? It would be a tough trade for us to make even though Klef has had a rough go this season. Buff's booming RH shot would be a sight to behold for us though.

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
If Buff gets traded, would Trouba re-sign with Winnipeg? Or would that not make a difference?

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
If Buff gets traded, would Trouba re-sign with Winnipeg? Or would that not make a difference?

Well it's all going to come to a head soon.

If you believe Trouba and his camp, the whole issue was around playing his proper side and getting big minutes. Since then, he's been given both.

If you believe what everyone else says, then he hates Canada and can't wait to get south of the border.

Since Trouba is getting what he wants, he has no excuse to sign a big contract with a team that's on the rise.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Friedman is getting closer and closer to Darren Dreger. Why would Winnipeg who is doing so well this season trade a player like Byfuglien? There is no reason to make any change at least not till after the season once they know what the team has accomplished and what needs to be done to go further.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad