Friedman: "I wonder about Dustin Byfuglien" (asked about surprise player who may be available)

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Isn't he having a down year? Wouldn't make sense to move him right now IMO. Especially with the Jets on track for the playoffs it makes sense to keep depth on defense.
If anything happens it will be in the offseason. Trouba is set to be an RFA again and will want a raise from his $2.8 mil deal right now. That coupled with Ehlers' raise beginning as well as a new deal for Hellebuyck and signing Morrissey to a new deal probably means that someone has to go. But Enstrom's deal is up as well so maybe they find a way to keep everyone around.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
It will be an interesting summer. Buff and Trouba both want big minutes, Wheeler up in 2019, lots of uncertainty.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Will be interesting this summer for the Jets. I can’t imagine that he loves the reduced mins and being asked to play a defensive style. To his credit this year he hasn’t complained about either.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Myers seems to be getting better after the long layoff last year. I'd dump Buff fast. He wants big minutes but outside of being a physical force he can take dumb penalties and be a defensive liability. If you can find someone to take that contract, you do it and sign Trouba long term.

Reactions: Jets2point0

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Will be interesting this summer for the Jets. I can’t imagine that he loves the reduced mins and being asked to play a defensive style. To his credit this year he hasn’t complained about either.

He literally just complained about reduced minutes last night. Not that I have an issue with that, players want to play.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I wonder about you all the time, baby....

49O4oOi.jpg

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
He literally just complained about reduced minutes last night. Not that I have an issue with that, players want to play.

I don't mind him complaining a bout mins so much (virtually any competitive player will), as long as he doesn't complain about being asked to play defensive hockey which is a huge part of our incredible season.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I badly misread the thread title and assumed buff was asking about a surprise available player and thought holy hell he wants Evander kane back lol.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Myers seems to be getting better after the long layoff last year. I'd dump Buff fast. He wants big minutes but outside of being a physical force he can take dumb penalties and be a defensive liability. If you can find someone to take that contract, you do it and sign Trouba long term.

Myers is having a very good year so far.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Winnipeg seems to agree with him as a player. Might make more sense to roll Trouba-Myers-Poolman on the right side. Trade Buff.

I've said multi times over the last year, wouldn't hate trading buff. He's a high risk, high reward type of player.....personally I'm not fond of that style. He can win games singlehanded but also at times have you face palming.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I've said multi times over the last year, wouldn't hate trading buff. He's a high risk, high reward type of player.....personally I'm not fond of that style. He can win games singlehanded but also at times have you face palming.

Takes a lot of penalties too. Maybe swap for a left handed defenseman to replace Enstrom? Not sure who would have similar value to Buff. I personally don't value him all that highly, the term and his play style scare me.

Unpopular suggestion but Phaneuf? Dekeyser? Alzner? I'd have to think about it some more.

Last edited:

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Unpopular suggestion but Phaneuf? Dekeyser? Alzner? I'd have to think about it some more.

If he is traded, which I boubt, it won’t be for older declining D with costly contacts. In a couple years maybe, but playing defensively he is a huge plus for the Jets right now.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If he is traded, which I boubt, it won’t be for older declining D with costly contacts. In a couple years maybe, but playing defensively he is a huge plus for the Jets right now.

Phaneuf is the same age and the others are younger. Byfuglien has the biggest deal out of them.

Reactions: Jets2point0

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Buff's value is an odd one to determine IMO. When he was a UFA the Jets received lots of calls on him reportedly. Plus the national media claimed there was significant interest in him then. Now about 1.5 years later with a new contract and being asked to play defensively (which he's done fairly well) I'm not sure his value.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Phaneuf is the same age and the others are younger. Byfuglien has the biggest deal out of them.

Buff is still playing at a fairly high level. If the Jets wanted to move him it wouldn’t be for a lateral move imo. I don’t think we will find out until his play falls off and he goes on the market. Hopefully he retires a Jet.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Isn't he having a down year? Wouldn't make sense to move him right now IMO. Especially with the Jets on track for the playoffs it makes sense to keep depth on defense.
Even on a down year I think GM’s are smart enough to know what his value is and what the jets GM would want.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Byfuglien is also a lot better than all of those guys

Cap hit is similar to Phaneufs. The rest are cheaper. I don't think he's $3ish million better then a lot of them. Byfuglien also plays on a better team then them. He also takes a lot of penalties compared to them and whines about ice time publicly. He only has 1 goal this season and has been getting less ice time of late.

If you can get a LHD who saves you $3+ million, it helps you keep Trouba and balance the roster more.

If those names don't appeal to you, look at some LHD with term and a decently high cap hit that may not have much appeal on the market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad