Friedman: "I wonder about Dustin Byfuglien" (asked about surprise player who may be available)

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Friedman is getting closer and closer to Darren Dreger. Why would Winnipeg who is doing so well this season trade a player like Byfuglien? There is no reason to make any change at least not till after the season once they know what the team has accomplished and what needs to be done to go further.

That's pretty insulting to Friedman, comparing him to Dreger. But I think you're right. Friedman seems to write a lot, say a lot but really contributes little.
Agree with you about Buff. Jets maybe just don't change. And Buff's contract is very unappealing. the returns would be minimal or taking bad similarly bad long term money.
Don't think you deal, the one player maybe ever that has a NTC to stay in Winnipeg.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think that's the key right there.

If Trouba does re-sign for 5-8 years, I think Buff will be / should be traded.

If Trouba doesn't want to sign, you've got to trade him instead.

Either way, it took the Jets 5 years to get defensive depth, so if either gets traded, we need an NHL ready D + back in a trade.

I think Myers should be the one traded, I like Buff's 3.5 years more than Myers 1.5years+ new contract.
Gives Winnipeg more breathing space cap wise, and they really can't trade Buff and then later see Myers walk.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Trouba has been pretty pumped during his interviews lately. The past couple years he has done boring interviews without saying much, and didn't seem sincere. A couple of games ago during an intermission interview (he had just scored iirc), he was so giddy he struggled to put sentences together. I think he's here to stay.

About Buff, as much of a liability as he is sometimes, I do think he's a net positive for us, and think he will come in handy during the playoffs. Don't mess with this team's roster, please!

Reactions: Flyerfan52

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Friedman is getting closer and closer to Darren Dreger. Why would Winnipeg who is doing so well this season trade a player like Byfuglien? There is no reason to make any change at least not till after the season once they know what the team has accomplished and what needs to be done to go further.

Buff has a NMC until July 2018. He cannot be trade until after this season. After July it becomes a M-NMC and the Jets can trade him as long as it is to one of 14 teams that he is willing to go to.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Buff is a bit of an engima, and fairly expensive at that, but I much prefer having him on the roster. Bad Buff is frustrating, but we can relegate Bad Buff to 3rd pairing duty if need be. Good Buff on the other hand is a game changing force who brings a physical element to a degree that no other player in the league can match. I'd prefer to have that guy in my lineup come playoff time.

Plus, TNSE is very loyal, considering the business of hockey. Buff being essentially a local, and one who made a commitment to the team is probably closer to family than an employee to Chipman and co.

Odds of Buff being dealt I would suspect are near zero. Better chance there is a bronze of him and Wheeler at True North Square in 10 years than him being dealt right now in my opinion.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
What would you want from TB if SY called in interested? He’s a guy I can see SY target if he wants an upgrade at #1 RD. If he’s available that is. Don’t think he will be since the Jets are near the top of the league in the standings.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Highly unlikely given Chevy’s conservative nature, but I think Jets would greatly benefit from packaging Buff with Roslovic to get some equivalent, but opposite, back in the form of an aging but decent C and a top defensive prospect. Jets might have to give up futures given the value of young defensemen, but it would set the Jets up for a good playoff run now and give them help next year or year after when the defenseman is ready to step in full time.

Any ideas who could fit the bill?

Some quick thoughts, although I know value is way off...

Backes, McAvoy
Brassard, Chabot
Kessler, Montour etc...

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
What would you want from TB if SY called in interested? He’s a guy I can see SY target if he wants an upgrade at #1 RD. If he’s available that is. Don’t think he will be since the Jets are near the top of the league in the standings.

I think the odds of the Jets looking to move Buff are very slim and revolve around cap pressures. That being said, those cap pressures don't begin until Trouba is re-signed (and then Laine adds to it a year later).

If Buff is looked at as a guy the org moves, IMO it won't happen this season. Very likely wouldn't happen even next season.

Reactions: Snowman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad