OT: I wish some leaf players would act like this (Steve Simmons)

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I don't think much of Simmons either but would you rather he spoke behind Batista's back and didn't have the nerve to confront him at all? I don't think he can win with most folks no matter what he does. He did have a fair point about the public belly aching.

Yes. There's a line in journalism you don't cross in the name of professionalism which he decides doesn't apply to him. In the process bringing down the respectability of sun media.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I wish more athletes would do this in general. So many sports journalists have this air of entitlement about them where they think they should be excluded from criticism despite the fact that so much of their work is either aimless speculation or sensationalist drivel, and on top of it they throw a tantrum when someone isn't nice to them.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
That's probably what irks me most about many of these writers. They frequently make factual errors that your average fan doesn't even have to research to know it is wrong (and research reveals it is). It saddens me that such incompetence is rewarded.
What really bothers me, to add to your point, is that these aren't really "writers" or "journalists" they're sensationalists. One step away from TMZ trash. I recently considered going back to University to take journalism/sports journalism but there's no jobs anymore. Meanwhile, you have hacks like Simmons who are employed by major newspaper publications and major sports networks. It's incredibly demoralizing seeing the truly dimwitted sensationalists not only get jobs, but thrive doing so.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This isn't the army...if he gets "called out", why can't he respond?

What if that was a fan tweet? It'd look pretty bad on Bautista for ripping on a guy for basically calling him out for criticizing management and then failing to deliver as a team...

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
I'm not exactly sure what point Simmons is trying to make here. The jays didnt make any significant trades at the deadline and didnt make the playoffs.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I wish more athletes would do this in general. So many sports journalists have this air of entitlement about them where they think they should be excluded from criticism despite the fact that so much of their work is either aimless speculation or sensationalist drivel, and on top of it they throw a tantrum when someone isn't nice to them.

I'm amazed at the egos these guys have, considering I can't think of a job less essential to the world than "sports analyst."

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Simmons is a ********* but I agree with his point 100%

Bautista's pissing and moaning about deadline deals was pathetic. And it isn't like he had the balls to tell anybody who should have been traded anyway.

Seems problematic to me that one of the most prominent Jays criticizes management and acts like an internet tough guy.

Agreed. Bautista responding just shows that a) he does know who Simmons is (he obviously doesn't reply to everyone who knocks him on Twitter) and b) Simmons' dig got to him.

I think it is a problem that the Jays' "best player" spends so much time *****ing and complaining. This is JP Arencibia levels of pettiness.

Last edited:

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
The guy is a character and you guys are nuts for falling into his publicity trap. His focus is to make sure as many people know his name as possible, and he's reading this and laughing because there's been 100 posts about his tweet in the leafs forum on HF. These guys are all about numbers, they don't actually care what they're saying as long as their popularity (and paycheque/future earnings opportunities) keep rising. He needs to keep his face in your face, and clearly he's succeeding. The Sun has to appeal to a 3rd grade level audience in order to be understood by the common denominator, don't fall into this trap!

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
What really bothers me, to add to your point, is that these aren't really "writers" or "journalists" they're sensationalists. One step away from TMZ trash. I recently considered going back to University to take journalism/sports journalism but there's no jobs anymore. Meanwhile, you have hacks like Simmons who are employed by major newspaper publications and major sports networks. It's incredibly demoralizing seeing the truly dimwitted sensationalists not only get jobs, but thrive doing so.

Agreed. It really boggles me that you don't see anybody consistently writing pieces that allow you to gain insight into the players or things like that. I'd love to read that stuff and these guys have inside access. I remember a very good article on Oliwa.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
What if that was a fan tweet? It'd look pretty bad on Bautista for ripping on a guy for basically calling him out for criticizing management and then failing to deliver as a team...

I wouldn't really care. I'm always amazed how people who throw jabs are surprised (and play the victim) when someone punches them back.

Kyle Doobas*

I'm not exactly sure what point Simmons is trying to make here. The jays didnt make any significant trades at the deadline and didnt make the playoffs.
Simmons logic.

"I picked up this rock, and it started to rain..... I MUST CONTROL THE SKY"

Last edited by a moderator:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Bautista's made his bed and heaven forbid he was made to lie in it!

This is also not the first time that he was been whining to the media about the jays lack of trades etc.

Remember Bautista's whined to the Media....he deserves what he got!

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
This epic conversation needed to be saved in its entirety for all eternity:

iW18hC9.png

Simmons is such a dbag.

:handclap:

hockeyfanz*

Bautista's made his bed and heaven forbid he was made to lie in it!

This is also not the first time that he was been whining to the media about the jays lack of trades etc.

Remember Bautista's whined to the Media....he deserves what he got!

Yup. I think people miss this glaring obvious point. Simmons may be a dirtbag but Bautista had it coming.

I hate when players go to the media and are critical of their coach/manager or heaven forbid team mates. Its class-less and actually shows a lack of leadership. These matters should be discussed behind closed doors.

Players don't like when they are thrown under the bus ala Brian Burke or Ron Wilson....extend these guys the same respect.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
What was said?

First he was telling the host how much more qualified he was to be a journalist then everyone who was blasting him online, and stated his opinion carried much more weight then anyone "not in the business". Then he started getting into all of the insults and harsh words people had for him on twitter. Kind of deflecting the attention away from his stupidity and trying to get sympathy for what he has to put up with on a daily basis. He just came off as a huge wiener, as per usual.

Feb 24, 2004

My personal opinion is that if a fan calls out a player, a player has every right to call the fan out. That isn't even getting into the point that Simmons (as a journalist with access to locker rooms and a platform for his opinions in a recognized major newspaper) is not a fan.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Simmons is a ********* but I agree with his point 100%

Bautista's pissing and moaning about deadline deals was pathetic. And it isn't like he had the balls to tell anybody who should have been traded anyway.

Agreed. Bautista responding just shows that a) he does know who Simmons is (he obviously doesn't reply to everyone who knocks him on Twitter) and b) Simmons' dig got to him.

I think it is a problem that the Jays' "best player" spends so much time *****ing and complaining. This is JP Arencibia levels of pettiness.

I actually like that Bautista says whats on his mind. Too many athletes just say what they're expected to say.

But if I was a player I would give the 100% give it our best cliche every time just to screw the media.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad