OT: I wish some leaf players would act like this (Steve Simmons)

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
tk5peME.jpg

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Didn't people call Burke a loudmouth for calling out Simmons during pressers?

hockeyfanz*

I know Simmons is well hated in these parts but this is funny..on his end as well as Jose's response.

Simmons is taunting "joeybats" for his whining at the trade deadline..because the GM didn't make any moves. The Jays went on to implode and choke like Toronto sports teams do and the team who made two of the biggest trade deadline trades fell apart and choked in a more dramatic fashion (Oakland A's).

Classic.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Shouldn't people be more upset at Jose Bautista and the Jays for laying an egg?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I know Simmons is well hated in these parts but this is funny..on his end as well as Jose's response.

Simmons is taunting "joeybats" for his whining at the trade deadline..because the GM didn't make any moves. The Jays went on to implode and choke like Toronto sports teams do and the team who made two of the biggest trade deadline trades fell apart and choked in a more dramatic fashion (Oakland A's).

Classic.

Exactly...but hey it is more fun to hate a reporter who points out the truth....

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

The Oakland A's completely coming apart at the seams might be the best thing to happen to the Jays. All of the baseball world would've been all over them for how they completely **** the bed in August and went from well in a seemingly-secure playoff spot to basically out of it in a month. Now, it's just us Blue Jay fans that are all over the Jays for ******** the bed in August.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is true, Joey Bats complained about Jays not making any deals. I for one would not have liked it if the Jays moved Stralman.

Really the blame here falls on the players and Alex A, for not performing and assembling a team that was not good enough.

J1S

May 12, 2014
This is true, Joey Bats complained about Jays not making any deals. I for one would not have liked it if the Jays moved Stralman.

Really the blame here falls on the players and Alex A, for not performing and assembling a team that was not good enough.

Anton Stralman plays for the Jays?

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Jays didn't perform down the stretch, that part's true.

Steve doing his usual thing of poking fun while linking Jose's twitter account to it is on par with his usual immature shenanigans.

I'm still waiting for him to become a reporter where he prints things in the context in which they're said. I'll be waiting a while I think..

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

Mighty impressive work by a Lightning defenseman to not only play baseball, but pitch at a pro level :sarcasm:

It's Stroman you mean, Marcus Stroman. But yeah, depth was the Jays' biggest killer. As soon as the big boys got injured, we had no one who could even play at an even passable level at the major league level. That falls on the GM.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

Same problem with Phil Kessel and the Leafs, Bautista can't do it all himself. He had an unreal year, including an unreal August and September, after he made his comments about the Jays standing pat.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Now Simmons is going to be in another snit for the next year or two.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Bautista has nothing to apologize for, as he carried this team when it mattered most.

Simmons is a jerk off and deserved to get humiliated.

I just gained even more respect for Joey Bats!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Mighty impressive work by a Lightning defenseman to not only play baseball, but pitch at a pro level :sarcasm:

It's Stroman you mean, Marcus Stroman. But yeah, depth was the Jays' biggest killer. As soon as the big boys got injured, we had no one who could even play at an even passable level at the major league level. That falls on the GM.

Big names were a misread by Alex A, he rolled the dice and Dickey, Rasmus, the Florida trade did not bring in the necessary dividends. Lawrie a disappointment.

Alex's only good moves was signing Bautista and Encarnacion.

For those that remember the Gillick days, this team is a far cry from the days where he assembled talent. No one had a better eye for it than Pat did.

Yeah that Marcus Stralman quite the pitcher, would have been a shame if we dealt him.

Reminds me a young Juan Guzman.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
If Bautista was on the Leafs he would be told to shut up and worry about hockey. And then people would question if he can handle the media in Toronto and demand we trade him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Bautista was on the Leafs he would be told to shut up and worry about hockey. And then people would question if he can handle the media in Toronto and demand we trade him.

I'd argue this is what should happen to him anyway.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

He's on the baseball version of the choke Leafs

hockeyfanz*

I'd argue this is what should happen to him anyway.

Dont know if Id trade him but definitely would tell him to shut-up. I don't think players like being called out by their GMs in public...not sure why they think they can do the same to their GMs. Just do your job and shut up.

If the Jays weren't made up of many many selfish players they would have faired better...Alot of guys who can't hit worth a damn..everybody swinging for the fencecs...hitting percentage with runners in scoring position just awful....Bautista was great but I remember one specific at bat in September where they Jays pretty much had to run the table, he had a 3-0 count and he popped up in foul territory instead of taking the pitch.

Its what I'm talking about.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Baseball is a different spot altogether where young unknown pitching can literally win you a championship if the arms are good enough.

If i'm the Jays I blow it up and move the expensive vets like Bautista while they have value and let the youth play. As long as you have the resources to retain the youth you can afford to take this method.

Another failed year of Reyes, Buerhle, Dickey, Bautista isn't what the Jays need. It's time for the Stromans, Norris', and Sanchez's to make their name.

This thread is a good example of that in that if the Jays were Oakland everyone would be demanding resignations and firings right now. But the Jays didn't even play yesterday and are bringing back the same Manager and GM as if the last 2 years have been meeting expectations.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Perhaps the Leafs Captain Character could conduct a seminar for the other Teams Athletes on how to interact with the media?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad