Post-Game Talk: I Will Have The Soup With That Win

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
We won and I’m happy BUT what’s up with this great PP in the past 20 opportunities? Teams have adjusted? I can’t believe how bad the PP is.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I want to see Marner as bumper. His creativity will be better utilized there when he gets the puck in other areas of the ice. Nylander and matthews are more traditional half wall types.

Rielly doesn't help either though. We have 0 defense that can run point on PP.

Brodie could, easily and he has an actual shot.

Agree with your Marner comment.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I want to see Marner as bumper. His creativity will be better utilized there when he gets the puck in other areas of the ice. Nylander and matthews are more traditional half wall types.

Rielly doesn't help either though. We have 0 defense that can run point on PP.

PP points per 60min, last 5yrs (min 500min)

1. Hedman 7.08
2. Krug 6.18
3. Rielly 6.05
4. Carlson 5.93
5. Burns 5.46

Captain14

Jan 3, 2018
Buffalo, NY
Great win!
The Jumbo experience has to end, now.
He should be a spot starter at this point, he’ll understand.
Gally for Simmonds on PP1.
Brodie for Reilly on PP1.

Reactions: klmdg

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Ya the Jets are so dirty cannot believe it. The stuff they get away with is incredible. At least the refs gave the Leafs the benefit of the doubt most of the game to make up for it and gave them a pp in ot cause they did not want the leafs to win in the skills competition.
The only reason we got the PP in OT was the refs knew there was two minutes where we were not going to score.

Reactions: therealkoho

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
The PP dies as soon as the puck gets on Marner's stick, which explains a lot of our woes considering the puck is on his stick the most.

I notice that he's carrying too long instead of quick, sharp passes. As with all set structures, they need to give different looks.

There was a time Marner needed to shoot more to ensure space for Matthews, now a little less fancy play might catch the opponent off guard.

Reactions: Marmoset

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Don't know if Campbell is good goalie or just a guy on a roll, but I've seen enough to say we need to ride him for the rest of this season.

Please stay healthy.
He was the goalie they should have rolled with once he came over from LA. He was winning his games then too.

Hopefully Leafs management doesn't overthink this one.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
The PP dies as soon as the puck gets on Marner's stick, which explains a lot of our woes considering the puck is on his stick the most.

Why do all this team's problems seem to get directed at one particular player all the time?

A team game with 6 players on the ice and all the blame for all misfortunes seem to always get directed at just one specific player.

Baffling.

Reactions: Tarmore

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I'm hoping he is not, hence the post.

I'm not his biggest fan either and I'm not convinced he is what this team needs.

Would it be an upgrade somewhere? Sure. I'd prefer 10 other forwards before him though. Heavy forwards who have game often become all stars in the playoffs. Not easy to find though and Leads are short on cap space.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I notice that he's carrying too long instead of quick, sharp passes. As with all set structures, they need to give different looks.

There was a time Marner needed to shoot more to ensure space for Matthews, now a little less fancy play might catch the opponent off guard.
In fairness to him, I don't think he has many options. They have traffic going to the net when he has the puck, so he's either putting pucks on net, trying to force pucks through or outletting to Rielly. None of those are dangerous plays for him.

For all he does well, saucers cross ice and shooting aren't anywhere near the top of the list. They'd be better off using him downlow IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad