I will always love the Leafs

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
I tell myself “it’s just a sport” and wonder if I need a life, but I am heartbroken today, like I lost my best friend, like something is gone. Better I guess than last nights utter shock. And it was only 48 hours ago that tears welled up in my eyes at the sight of their utter dominance over the Penguins-a gusher of emotional release after suffering through so much disappointment.

I remember reading a few years ago an interview with Brendan Shanahan-in this interview he expressed his view that the team would stress skill and speed-further he talked about the death of pugilism and aggression. What really stood out as best as I can remember is how he described this desirable player as one “above getting into the muck and grime “, a sort of new breed.

A few years later, his words ring prophetic: we have the ultra nice Morgan Rielly, the polite Frederick Gauthier, a gentle Pierre Engvail, stick checking William Nylander, frail and clean Mitch Marner, gentlemen John Tavares, Tyson Barrie, Rasmus Sandin, Justin Holl, Ilya Mikheyev, Timothy Liljegren, etc.

These are choir boys, young men who you’d introduce to your Mother. Oh for a charging Josh Anderson, a dirty Wayne Simmons or Cody Perry, a never quit Jonathan Toews, a chippy Brad Marchand. Players who get mad, who antagonize, who show emotion, a few players who were Saskatchewan farm boys, . More and more we are “Team Sweden”.

But I’ll be there Tuesday, I couldn’t not be. It is so often painful now to watch, but I’ve never turned it off, not even a minute. If we are losing 9-3 with 5 minutes left, I’m still hoping to see one of the boys get a goal. I’m 64 and I still remember the oh so special texture of that Maple Leaf sweater I adored at 6.

But it hurts to hear those boos last night, don’t the perpetrators realize that this is a big reason players don’t want to come here? That it hurts our future? That the players tense up, grip their sticks tighter, that it’s counter productive. I get it, I’ve never been to a game but if you’re laying out $300 a seat to watch that, it’s tough. But please do it in private.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
They deserved more boos imho. These are multi-million dollar super athletes. And couldn't get past a 42 year old Zamboni driver who looks like a dude in line at Cinnabon.

I love my Leafs as much as the next guy but BOOOOOOOO. That was pathetic.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
What you need to realize is that you care more about this team than anyone playing for it. Except maybe Morgan Rielly.

What would unravel this team? Could it possibly be money? Player's pointing the finger at each other?

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
What you need to realize is that you care more about this team than anyone playing for it. Except maybe Morgan Rielly.

Rielly was playing awful as well before he went down with the injury. He honestly wasn't doing any better than Barrie.

Reactions: Al14

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Rielly was playing awful as well before he went down with the injury. He honestly wasn't doing any better than Barrie.

Rielly had been playing injured since the beginning of the season...the broken foot was his 2nd injury that knocked him out for good. He hasn't played great this season, but his heart is in the right place unlike some of those other kids.

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
He's been injured the whole year. Besides, I said care about. He's not going to be confused for a Norris winner but Rielly at least gives a shit about being a Leaf.

Yeah fair enough. He does seem to care about the team. Hopefully he plays a whole lot better when he comes back though.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
They deserved more boos imho. These are multi-million dollar super athletes. And couldn't get past a 42 year old Zamboni driver who looks like a dude in line at Cinnabon.

I love my Leafs as much as the next guy but BOOOOOOOO. That was pathetic.
Yeah, so much this!
Cheers to the Zamboni dude!
It gives hope that even we stand a chance vs our Leaf idols!

Reactions: yubbers

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
I tell myself “it’s just a sport” and wonder if I need a life, but I am heartbroken today, like I lost my best friend, like something is gone. Better I guess than last nights utter shock. And it was only 48 hours ago that tears welled up in my eyes at the sight of their utter dominance over the Penguins-a gusher of emotional release after suffering through so much disappointment.

I remember reading a few years ago an interview with Brendan Shanahan-in this interview he expressed his view that the team would stress skill and speed-further he talked about the death of pugilism and aggression. What really stood out as best as I can remember is how he described this desirable player as one “above getting into the muck and grime “, a sort of new breed.

A few years later, his words ring prophetic: we have the ultra nice Morgan Rielly, the polite Frederick Gauthier, a gentle Pierre Engvail, stick checking William Nylander, frail and clean Mitch Marner, gentlemen John Tavares, Tyson Barrie, Rasmus Sandin, Justin Holl, Ilya Mikheyev, Timothy Liljegren, etc.

These are choir boys, young men who you’d introduce to your Mother. Oh for a charging Josh Anderson, a dirty Wayne Simmons or Cody Perry, a never quit Jonathan Toews, a chippy Brad Marchand. Players who get mad, who antagonize, who show emotion, a few players who were Saskatchewan farm boys, . More and more we are “Team Sweden”.

But I’ll be there Tuesday, I couldn’t not be. It is so often painful now to watch, but I’ve never turned it off, not even a minute. If we are losing 9-3 with 5 minutes left, I’m still hoping to see one of the boys get a goal. I’m 64 and I still remember the oh so special texture of that Maple Leaf sweater I adored at 6.

But it hurts to hear those boos last night, don’t the perpetrators realize that this is a big reason players don’t want to come here? That it hurts our future? That the players tense up, grip their sticks tighter, that it’s counter productive. I get it, I’ve never been to a game but if you’re laying out $300 a seat to watch that, it’s tough. But please do it in private.

I'm with you Stuart. I don't like the boos and I don't see a lack of effort.

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
I too will always love the Leafs. It just sucks that a team with Auston Matthews (a player I've dreamed of having for most of my life), Mitch Marner and John Tavares can be this bad.

Something big needs to happen to right the ship - it may not change the culture overnight but clearly the less 'greed' in that dressing room, the better. I want players that give a **** about winning.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
You will always love the Leafs and invest your time/money to watch/pay for athletes who could care less about the Leafs and just care about their paycheque and social media appearance. If that's your thing then go for it.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I love the Leafs. Always have, always will.

our office looks out onto the parade route. As brilliant as the Raptor run to the championship and parade was, it can’t have the same impact as a Leaf win would. This goes back to being a little kid, to foster and Bill Hewitt, MLG, living with Harold, the team being gutted by the WHA, trading Lanny, trading The Big M....sigh.

Reactions: Rogie and Dave92

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
My grandfather moved to Toronto in 1971 and died without seeing his leafs win a cup. I’m 30 years old, yet share the same fate.

Reactions: Kamiccolo

Pete2000

Nov 10, 2019
I still wear Leafs’ underwear older than 90% of the present day Buds... so, yeah, I’m in it for the long haul.

Pete2000

Nov 10, 2019
I still wear Leafs’ underwear older than 90% of the present day Buds... so, yeah, I’m in it for the long haul.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
If it's not lack of effort, do you think they are just not talented enough?

I thought what Dave Poulin said on the HNIC broadcast before this game, it might have been a few games ago, I'm not sure, but, it resonated with me, and it's what I've been trying to say on here for a while.

Work ethic, and working hard, and effort, these qualities, they take time - Poulin mentioned how older veteran teams had many many more playoff series and LOSSES and experiences to learn from. I kind of agree with this.

I said it in a post a couple of weeks ago, you can THINK and truly BELIEVE that you are working hard, but, it's just not as easy as that. There's always another HARDER level to get to, and you get there by failing and learning from the failure.

I still don't think that these group of guys, our TEAM, are incapable of playing HARDER, I honestly think they can.

But, they have to learn how to do that and they'll learn it from failure.

I'd like to see the team stay pretty much as they are.

Just leave them to figure it out, and I think, they'll eventually learn how to play harder.

It's not easy to just play harder because it also requires, when you play harder, that you are playing smart, this is the hard part. Right now, they're in the phase of thinking about how to play smarter, but, they have to get to the 'play harder and play smarter together' phase, and that only comes from experience.

THE SKY IS STILL NOT FALLING

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Work ethic, and working hard, and effort, these qualities, they take time - Poulin mentioned how older veteran teams had many many more playoff series and LOSSES and experiences to learn from. I kind of agree with this.

THE SKY IS STILL NOT FALLING

I have also argued in the past that these qualities take time.

If that is in fact true, then IMO Dubas has completely failed them by thrusting the young core into "leadership" roles before they were ready, eliminating the ridiculed "gud pros" from the roster, and installing a rookie head coach that has also never navigated a team through the rigors of the NHL.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I have also argued in the past that these qualities take time.

If that is in fact true, then IMO Dubas has completely failed them by thrusting the young core into "leadership" roles before they were ready, eliminating the ridiculed "gud pros" from the roster, and installing a rookie head coach that has also never navigated a team through the rigors of the NHL.

I think I am saying the opposite of what you are saying, or rather, I'm saying yeah, these highly skilled players, yes, PUT them in over their heads, put them in places and let them fail, put them in leadership roles and let them fail and then maybe they'll figure it out.

Putting them in leadership roles, and having them fail in those roles is how they learn, is what I am suggesting might be what is needed.

The good pros you mentioned, who have leadership qualities, that's all good, and I don't disagree with that, they were important. The 'Marleaus and Hainseys' etc.

edit: another thought, you mentioned Dubas has completely failed by thrusting them into roles they aren't ready for, and I'm saying, GOOD, let them fail and learn.

But, in case they are learning, and in case they do learn, let's not throw it all out, let's see if they can figure it out. They are still really (the core) SO YOUNG.

Really, look at how many teams with veterans (26 years and older for eg) on the teams and all the failing that the players on those teams have gone through and still haven't got to the pinnacle. There's a lot of talented skilled players, WITH GREAT WORK ETHICS on teams who haven't barely gotten a sniff at the cup.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad