Speculation: I Was Wrong About Tanking

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
For most of Buffalo Sabres hockey history, It has been generally positive. An organization that won more often than it lost, and although didn't win a cup ever, made the playoffs pretty consistently.

Coming off a competitive late 90s surge, a slight dip early in the 2000s and after the lock out, a President trophy winning season, back to back conference finals appearances, we were starving for a Cup.

Heart broken by Drury and Briere leaving the Sabres never replaced that talent and asked Vanek, Roy, Pominville and others to replace that core. As fans, frustrated by the yearly fight to make the playoffs and lose in the first round, we became obsessed with the idea of needing a Patty Kane or Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin, all whom were 1st overall picks to lead us into a new era. New ownership with endless money promised Hockey Heaven and finally ceded this was the way to do it.

We became obsessed with acquiring a number 1 pick nd traded everything to ice the worst possible hockey team to secure a bottom pick. We lost out to Florida but got Sam Reinhart in a weaker year. Then stripped down even more because of the Eichel/McDavid sweepstakes. We lost out on McDavid but secured surefire Jack Eichel. After securing Eichel, we acquired few players and spent a lot of draft capital to do it and had no depth after that and couldn't climb in the standings again. We acquire more top picks, Rasmus Dahlin. In 2019, we had 3 top 2 draft picks in Eichel/Reinhart/Dahlin and we still were 6-games under 500.

Since 2010, we've lost more than any other team in the NHL. It's been since April of 2011 since we played in a playoff game. Terry Pegula bought the team in February of 2011. We thought tanking and securing high draft picks was the answer to it all. Yes there would be some suffering as alluded by Darcy Regier but it would be worth it.

A few of the things I've learned from the Sabres:

- It starts at the top, you are a representation of your leadership
- Leaders build culture, culture drives behavior, behaviors achieve results
- We've created a culture of losing, that we can't overcome, we lack leaders who build winning behaviors in the group and demand it
- You need smart people and need to allow them the resources to be successful
- You need to draft and develop - It doesn't matter where you draft, it matters that you draft smart and have elite development
- You can't sacrifice the short-term for the long-term benefits of the program
- The best organizations don't rebuild, they reload because their leadership allows and supports it

In summary, I am sorry that we tanked. Winning is an all the time thing and we've built a losing culture. I would never support it again in any sport. We need a complete overhaul and it may start at the top or for Pegula to realize he has failed, admit it, learn, and hire someone who's qualified and give them the full green light.

Here's hoping that they get it right.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I don’t think the tank is why we’ve developed a losing culture. I’m more prone to blame it on the organizational mismanagement. Go all the way back to firing Darcy, and we have not been able to put competent hockey people on the right places.

What the hell happened with Pat Lafontaine? That’s often a footnote in the drought era, but right at the beginning of the franchise restructure, the franchise somehow destoys its relationship with one of our all time greats. And we still don’t know the real story behind it.

We went from wack job Tim Murray to the complete opposite end of the spectrum in Jason Botterill, and after that didn’t work, Pegula just decided it’s not worth spending anymore money, just hire from the bargain basket even if they don’t have any experience.

And if you look at PSE, it’s much the same. The Pegula’s just don’t know what they are doing when hiring, and this is the result. It’s really amazing that he managed to get as rich as he did when he gets things so wrong so often.

Hire Darcy

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
What do you mean intentionally? You don't accidentally tank
There's a difference between having a bad roster after selling off your good players to restock versus sending players back down to the AHL or scratching them when they were performing well in said year.

Reactions: joshjull

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
There's a difference between having a bad roster after selling off your good players to restock versus sending players back down to the AHL or scratching them when they were performing well in said year.
Wait did we scratch and send players down to AHL when they were playing well?

I don't recall that

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
What do you mean intentionally? You don't accidentally tank
He means gutting the roster so thoroughly that it was impossible for any reasonable offseason or string of offseasons could add enough talent to get the team competitive any time soon again. It completely severed the Sabres from competitive NHL hockey for two full calendar years. The offseason after the tank they added 4 20+ goal scorers and a few other guys and a goalie, the vast majority of whom had plenty of team success elsewhere after leaving here, and it was still only enough to be an 81 point team (ie bottom 10 EASILY). There was no real path back to contention outside of obscene luck, because it is unreasonable to ever expect an offseason as good as 2015's was in terms of net talent added to an organization. I know hindsight will lead everyone to say that "well they should have done this or that instead and they would have been fine." Sorry, everyone here and everywhere else was over the moon in those days. And the results were never even close to competitive because the starting point was as far back behind the pack as it is possible to be. Putting yourself there on purpose is a major reason why we are still where we are today, even if competent management since could have eventually fixed it. It's hard to get that competent management when you build the reputation that began to take hold in those tank years.

Wwhatever intangible substance they lost by severing themselves from the NHL, they have never come close to recovering it. They are the ghost of a baseline NHL franchise, let alone the sterling franchise they once were.

• Love
Reactions: Diaspora

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I don't recall that either.
Maybe I'm misremembering but I could've sworn we did that with a couple goalies in the tank season. Or Amerks call ups would have hot games and get sent down quite quickly after.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Maybe I'm misremembering but I could've sworn we did that with a couple goalies in the tank season. Or Amerks call ups would have hot games and get sent down quite quickly after.

I remember the Center of the Hockey Universe losing their shit over the goalies being traded. But then the next guy would come in and be good...

I don't recall any players who deserved to be in the lineup getting sent back down. In fact, I thought one of their problems was they had rushed so many guys that it hurt their development and those players never reached their top end - Gus, Greg O'Renko, Risto, Zads all spring to mind.

Reactions: Bones Malone

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
An error of their tank was not having the robust depth players ready to step into an NHL roster. They had high-end guys who they pushed in early but they didn't have a strong farm system in that the prospects had not moved on to being good pros. In retrospect, Murray's ignoring the farm - what the Broome County folks mentioned about what a dink he was when running the baby Sens, that they won in spite of him - is another part of the problems he had as a manager.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He means gutting the roster so thoroughly that it was impossible for any reasonable offseason or string of offseasons could add enough talent to get the team competitive any time soon again. It completely severed the Sabres from competitive NHL hockey for two full calendar years.
Hawks just did that. They stripped their team pretty much like no other team before, they even sold their young players like Dach and Hagel.

We'll see how it works for them.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
In summary, I am sorry that we tanked. Winning is an all the time thing and we've built a losing culture. I would never support it again in any sport. We need a complete overhaul and it may start at the top or for Pegula to realize he has failed, admit it, learn, and hire someone who's qualified and give them the full green light.

Here's hoping that they get it right.

I agree with your general sentiment and unbridled enthusiasm behind this thread.

Would a complete overhaul just be another (unintentional) tank though? Or are you talking management only.

I also don't buy the spoiled kids that don't know what it's like to have money and keep competing. If NFL players can get rookie deals worth 5X the NHL, then the NHL players can keep striving and competing too.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
We did...Enroth was playing too well so he was traded to Dallas. Then Neuvirth was playing too well and he was traded to the Islanders.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Sabres: waiting over a half a century for a cup

Vegas: Really? It only took us 6 years

Seattle: LOL we've made the playoffs more than you in the last 13 years

Ugh...

Reactions: oldgoalie

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Tank was unavoidable. Could have been postponed a year but there was nothing of quality left on the team.
Imagine drafting multiple players in the first round 2015 and then not rushing the rebuild getting another good pick in 2016.

I guess you could point to a 100 different things but we were always going to ebd up a bottom 3 team.

Reactions: KeyserSoze81

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Tanking was still the right call.
v90qu4954bx51.png

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Somebody said this in yesterdays GDT ...... (can't put it in quotes because it's not exact....)

The common thread through all of these changes and rosters has been Terry Pegula.
Terry doesn't like to hire anyone with balls. It seems like Terry surrounds himself with ass kissers and view valid criticisms as being negative.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I agree with your general sentiment and unbridled enthusiasm behind this thread.

Would a complete overhaul just be another (unintentional) tank though? Or are you talking management only.

I also don't buy the spoiled kids that don't know what it's like to have money and keep competing. If NFL players can get rookie deals worth 5X the NHL, then the NHL players can keep striving and competing too.
Leadership overhaul. Look at Dave Tallon track record building the Blackhawks Dynasty, turning around Florida and now Vancouver is getting better.

Neither Florida nor Vancouver “tanked”.

Reactions: Selanne00008

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille