"I want to win cups" (All Drew Doughty Proposals here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
take out the dumps and its basically

voracek,myers, 1 and 3 for doughty and 2

not enough. they would want a young piece in any deal. provorov. patrick. etc

This guy gets it. To get Doughty Philadelphia would need to start with Provorov or Patrick and add to it.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
This guy gets it. To get Doughty Philadelphia would need to start with Provorov or Patrick and add to it.

And that is why this proposal is totally unrealistic. The Flyers just went through a rebuild on the fly and now just have to be patient and let those assets mature. It makes no sense for us to trade away to top end of those young players to get a guy that doesn't put us over the top TODAY. If LA we're to trade Drew they would be looking to do what we just got finished doing. The Flyers are the wrong team to look to trade him to. A team like To, Buff or Edm would be more realistic as they are ready to complete TODAY and Drew really could be that piece that puts them over the top. All 3 still have very good young talent that they can afford to part with and still end up a much better team with Drew afterwards.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Historically, franchise cornerstones like Doughty are not traded until a) are getting up there in age or b) are getting sour on the organization and start setting fire in the locker room or c) an equally valuable piece is made available.

None of the conditions apply. It's not happening.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
This is a bad deal for the kings and really in my opinion if Ron is going to make a deal at all it would be for a high end scorer not a defenseman. With Provorov, Gostisbehere and Sanheim he has to feel comfortable with the backend. Plus Gudas, Morin and Hagg are not chopped liver,as they are good complimentary players who will give the Flyers three very nice pairings with good balance. Also he has Myers in his back pocket. A player who by all accounts has the makings of a top pairing defenseman in the near future. Hextall's approach has been to rebuild on the fly slow and steady and unless someone calls him with some outlandish proposal I do not see him changing his philosophy.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Philadelphia should just keep their defenseman. They will probably have one of the best defensive cores in the future if not the best.

Provorov-ghost
Sanheim-Myers
Hagg-morin

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Philadelphia should just keep their defenseman. They will probably have one of the best defensive cores in the future if not the best.

Provorov-ghost
Sanheim-Myers
Hagg-morin

That'll depend on when the next expansion is. We'll have to pay a decent price to keep them if its in 2-ish years.

...unless McPhee loses his job as VGK GM and gets hired as the new teams GM somehow.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
That'll depend on when the next expansion is. We'll have to pay a decent price to keep them if its in 2-ish years.

...unless McPhee loses his job as VGK GM and gets hired as the new teams GM somehow.

I'd imagine it would take quite a few years for the next expansion. What cities are willing to pay the 500 million dollar expansion fee?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'd imagine it would take quite a few years for the next expansion. What cities are willing to pay the 500 million dollar expansion fee?

There were rumors of seattle at one point(someone was trying to get approvals to build a new basketball and hockey arena), Kansas city, and quebec, if im not mistaken.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Naw. We will bite the bullet and lose a good Dman and that's why it's important to keep the pipeline coming.

I fully expect us to add a Dman with one of our 2 1st rounders in 2018 draft. Keep the high end talent coming.

As for the OP, no need. We are not 1 trade away from competing for a cup yet. In a few years, once we are a legit playoff team, Hextall will look to make 1-2 big trades to try and push us over the edge. This trade is 2-3 years too early right now.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
This seems like a specifically odd idea. Are the Kings really giving up on the idea of competing? (Sure, Voracek is still more of a re-tool than a rebuild piece, but you don't give up Doughty without taking a short-term hit.) Are the Flyers really ready to stop their rebuild and force their window to close in, to a time frame that doesn't really match their core going forward? I don't think the concept works for either side given where the teams are.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
This seems like a specifically odd idea. Are the Kings really giving up on the idea of competing? (Sure, Voracek is still more of a re-tool than a rebuild piece, but you don't give up Doughty without taking a short-term hit.) Are the Flyers really ready to stop their rebuild and force their window to close in, to a time frame that doesn't really match their core going forward? I don't think the concept works for either side given where the teams are.

Some people have not accepted that the Flyers possibly winning a cup, will be on the backs of the young D coming, as well as they young F and goalies. It will not be on the backs of guys like Giroux, Jake, and Simmonds. Those guys could be the vets instead that play a Hossa like role in Chicago's wins. Important, but not a top guy.

Hextall just traded Schenn for futures. That should make it quite clear that he is building for a few years from now vs today. The OP deal is the reverse of that. Makes no sense. If any of Giroux, Jake or Simmonds get traded in the next 1-2 years, the Flyers are likely the team losing the deal short term, to possibly win the deal long term.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Naw. We will bite the bullet and lose a good Dman and that's why it's important to keep the pipeline coming.

I fully expect us to add a Dman with one of our 2 1st rounders in 2018 draft. Keep the high end talent coming.

Eh, if they all turn out ok, and we can make it work, we may be able to trade one for an exem0pt forward or d, as everyone expected Minnesota to do.

In theory, if it happened in two years, we'd be protecting G, Voracek, Konecny, and Couturier on the forwards, Prov, Sanheim, Morin Ghost/Whoever.

this is, of course, assuming the rules dont change.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
The price for Doughty would be way higher than that. Voracek is overrated to me and wold be the completing piece in trade for Doughty, not the main one.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hextall just traded Schenn for futures. That should make it quite clear that he is building for a few years from now vs today. The OP deal is the reverse of that. Makes no sense. If any of Giroux, Jake or Simmonds get traded in the next 1-2 years, the Flyers are likely the team losing the deal short term, to possibly win the deal long term.

Hextall did deal Schenn for futures, but he is also adding three forwards as full time players for 17-18 who he expects to be top 9 contributors - Patrick, Lindblom and Weal. If they Flyers had picked 13th in the draft then Schenn is most likely still a Flyer.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hextall did deal Schenn for futures, but he is also adding three forwards as full time players for 17-18 who he expects to be top 9 contributors - Patrick, Lindblom and Weal. If they Flyers had picked 13th in the draft then Schenn is most likely still a Flyer.

The point was that trading for Doughty is a win now move. If that was Hextall's plan, he doesn't trade Schenn.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Any chance Doughty wants out with the way things are going in LA., Don't see them in "cup contention" any time soon

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
To Los Angeles :kings: RW Jakub Voracek, LD Andrew MacDonald, RD Philippe Myers, PHI 1st round pick 2018, PHI 3rd round pick 2019

To Philadelphia :flyers: RD Drew Doughty, RW Dustin Brown a 2nd round pick 2018 and a 6th round pick in 2020.

Kings get top line winger, bad contract 3 seasons at 5 per, top prospect RHD-man and two high draft picks.

Flyers get top pairing defensemen, exchange bad contract 5 seasons at 5.875 per, and a 2nd rounder

I don't like it at all, it screams i want to offload all my expendable crap for your top pairing norris level dman. The difference between your first and our second in 18 would also be f*** all if we traded you doughty.

Edit, apologies op , someone necroed the thread, i'll pull my head in

Last edited:

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Why don't the Kings just sign Panarin in the off season rather than lose their best player and take on salary dumps for Voracek?

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
If the Kings are committing to a rebuild, Doughty is a player you build around. That said, if they decide to trade him, they can get a far better haul than that.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
just signed a brand new 8 year extension, and we're going to trade him? Ya, it's happened, but not for a franchise player who wants to play for a team he was a fan of all his life.
And for the love of god, do not bring up Gretzky.

Reactions: BallPointHammer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad