I thought Larry Quinn was the worst thing to happen to Sabres Hockey. I was wrong.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yep. If you could get around Leafs objection, Sabres are worth way more to league as second team in Southern Ontario. I would suggested chances of Sabres ever moving were zero but I am amazed every day how badly Pegulas have ruined team. The people who give them a pass amaze me even more. Terry bragged about Sabres being a cup contender after signing Taylor Hall? Just clueless. People blame GMJB for O'Reilly but the guy gets told a day before $7.5 M bonus due to trade him. You talk about handcuffing your GM. People suggested Torts should come to Buffalo. He's done as a coach but the Pegulas WILL NEVER hire anybody who will stand up to them and their stupid moves. It's why they have hired nobodies. It's why Lafontaine got run out of town.

I pray their legacy is not the end of hockey in Buffalo.

Right now? I'll will take Rigas ownership.
Just stop with this utter nonsense about the team leaving.

Deal prevents new owner from moving Sabres

Future Buffalo Sabres owner Terry Pegula can never move the team from Buffalo under terms of his $189 million deal to buy the franchise.

Although Pegula, a self-described die-hard Sabres fan with ties to western New York, has never indicated he'd want to leave, the no-move provision was a must, said Golisano, who is credited with keeping the Sabres from folding or relocating when he purchased the team out of bankruptcy in 2003.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Really, really, really bad hirings. If they ever luck into a good management team, I actually have pretty reasonable amount of faith it will be fine the Bills are exhibit A for showing they spend (most important criteria for an owner) and can stay out of the way.

The biggest thing, as it has been, is they abso-f'ing-lutely need to get someone in there competent to oversee the entire ship. I don't hold the covid cutbacks entirely against them, and the Kim as bumbling puppetmaster stuff is garbage, but they have never been able to find a competent steward for the organization. I still don't think they want to steer the ship--I do think they want to feel connected to it and involved in that respect, and I don't think the latter is particularly out of character for a lot of owners. I do, however, absolutely hold their inability to get that person and to realize how badly they need that organizational steward against them. They made one, impulsive, half-thought out attempt with Lafontaine and nothing since despite continually circling the drain for years. It's maddening.

The best and simplest thing the Pegulas could do is to back up the Brinks truck and pay someone like John Davidson (as an example) whatever it takes to bring them in. Ironically (given how much they ostensibly value these principles) I think that it would be more economically efficient in the long-run.

Unfortunately, I think we are still going to have to luck into that hiring, as I don't see them doing it.
Nobody of any significance in the sport will come anywhere near this organization no matter how much they are offered.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Yep. If you could get around Leafs objection, Sabres are worth way more to league as second team in Southern Ontario. I would suggested chances of Sabres ever moving were zero but I am amazed every day how badly Pegulas have ruined team. The people who give them a pass amaze me even more. Terry bragged about Sabres being a cup contender after signing Taylor Hall? Just clueless. People blame GMJB for O'Reilly but the guy gets told a day before $7.5 M bonus due to trade him. You talk about handcuffing your GM. People suggested Torts should come to Buffalo. He's done as a coach but the Pegulas WILL NEVER hire anybody who will stand up to them and their stupid moves. It's why they have hired nobodies. It's why Lafontaine got run out of town.

I pray their legacy is not the end of hockey in Buffalo.

Right now? I'll will take Rigas ownership.
If you get told as a GM you re not fit to be a GM

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
ok I get it know, I think the Atlantic deep sea cable must have been damaged

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
Where do we put the statue after Adams and Karmanos initiate wildly unpopular trades of our best forwards but in the end it actually turns into our first playoff berth in 11 years?

Trying optimism today guys. Just trying.

Reactions: Sabre the Win

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
All the important players - Reinhart Risto and Jack - really venting their frustration it seems. And who can blame them? Today they did what this forum and all the fans of this team were doing regularly through the last years, rightfully so.
They put a gun to Adam's apple.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZemgusWho

Jun 19, 2007
Denver
Almost 10 years of evidence suggests that the current ownership group are worse than former politician/land developers or corporate swindlers. I apologize for publicly beating you up, Larry. These new owners have set a new, almost impossible to comprehend, bar of ownership ineptitude.

I don't think I could have believed there was a lower low, a low even lower than that which we've already experienced.

Man, it's depressing being wrong.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Honestly, I just read all three pages of this rant and have no idea what kicked it off or what it is about. Is this about Eichel?

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
The Bills were just on the bad end of mediocre for a long time and never got the elite talent to pull themselves out of it until recently. The Sabres were awful, got elite talent, and still found a way to be awful. f*** the Pegulas.
I'll take a bunch of heat for this. I love Eichel the player, but not so much the person. This surgery thing seems like a "I'll take my ball and go home" scenario. He was clearly hurt and they shut him down, it sounds like they said "do rehab and see where we are" he then followed it up with " no, I'm going to go see a doctor who recommends surgery". I'm sure there a is a lot in between but he has always just come off as selfish. I want to be wrong but it just seems he goes to the beat of his own drum because he has always been the best and when that didn't work here, it went to the I'll take my ball.

I would love to keep him but I would sit him down and tell him to shut his mouth and I will move you when I get a package. I would then call up Detroit and raid their cabinet. I would not send him where he wants to go because I am f***ing Petti LaBelle

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
To be honest, Botterill was horrible. I wonder if competent owners would have figured this out during the hiring process.
Hiring is tough. With the best plans and intentions, who knows how someone ends up in the actual job? I mean based off Jason’s work history and an interview ... could anyone have predicted that he’d dump RoR for a shitty return and sign the Skinner with an NMC?

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Terry and Kim Pegula need to sell the team. The fun times, are about to start The Pegula's need to take their hands off the team. A head of hockey operations with experience needs to be brought in.

Last edited:
Reactions: ckg927

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Just stop with this utter nonsense about the team leaving.

Deal prevents new owner from moving Sabres

Future Buffalo Sabres owner Terry Pegula can never move the team from Buffalo under terms of his $189 million deal to buy the franchise.

Although Pegula, a self-described die-hard Sabres fan with ties to western New York, has never indicated he'd want to leave, the no-move provision was a must, said Golisano, who is credited with keeping the Sabres from folding or relocating when he purchased the team out of bankruptcy in 2003.

He's been consistent for years saying the only reason the Sabres exist is because the high falutin' money of the Golden Horseshoe graces us with their plastic dollars.

It's all bullshit of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad