I think the top 3 in the Metro are going to be pretty good come the playoffs.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
We are shooting for one of the top 3 spots, and hoping for some help before the deadline.
Watching a team that actually plays defense is a treat after last year.

Trotz is a really good coach. He took the Caps from being a total mess post the Adam Oates dark ages to two Prez Trophies and a Stanley Cup.

The Isles are an interesting team. I don't think their centers are near the quality of Toronto, Tampa, Washington, or Pittsburgh, or Boston for that matter, and I don't think they're deep enough on the blueline to be labeled as a contender but they're going to be a tough out. I do wonder if they can keep up both their shooting percentages (currently 9th in the NHL) and their save percentages (currently 1st).

gadiamon72

Jun 13, 2013
Trotz is a really good coach. He took the Caps from being a total mess post the Adam Oates dark ages to two Prez Trophies and a Stanley Cup.

The Isles are an interesting team. I don't think their centers are near the quality of Toronto, Tampa, Washington, or Pittsburgh, or Boston for that matter, and I don't think they're deep enough on the blueline to be labeled as a contender but they're going to be a tough out. I do wonder if they can keep up both their shooting percentages (currently 9th in the NHL) and their save percentages (currently 1st).

The game they play is to not give up quality chances and they aren't. Their system also plays to taking quality shots and not throwing pucks at the net. Hence the reason for their high shooting percentage.

I disagree about blue line depth. They have a group of young defensemen who have been underrated and are finally coming into their own (Leddy being the exception). Talent wins out in the end and I agree, their talent up front falls short of many teams in front of them. We'll see what happens.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
The game they play is to not give up quality chances and they aren't. Their system also plays to taking quality shots and not throwing pucks at the net. Hence the reason for their high shooting percentage.

I disagree about blue line depth. They have a group of young defensemen who have been underrated and are finally coming into their own (Leddy being the exception). Talent wins out in the end and I agree, their talent up front falls short of many teams in front of them. We'll see what happens.
Actually, talent doesn't always win out. Yes, all things being equal, the more talented team will prevail, but sports history is littered with cases where the more determined and better coached team has come out on top. As you said, we'll see, but the Islanders have certainly been a fun team thus far.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
The Islanders are a nice story this year but I don't think that roster can compete over a 7-game series with the top teams in the east. What Trotz is doing with them is really impressive, though.

I think in a 7 game series Isles are definitely going to be annoying physically but also defensively suffocating. Could really bite some teams in the ass If they can't figure out how to put the puck in the net.

Figgzfood

Nov 15, 2017
The top four teams in the metro are a combined 30-8-2 over their last 10 games combined.
Columbus had to go 8-2-1 over the last 11 to hold on to 3rd in the metro, with NYI one point behind and a game in hand.
Looks to be another wild finish for the metro.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
The top four teams in the metro are a combined 30-8-2 over their last 10 games combined.
Columbus had to go 8-2-1 over the last 11 to hold on to 3rd in the metro, with NYI one point behind and a game in hand.
Looks to be another wild finish for the metro.
Same thing happened the last two years. You basically have to go 7-2-1 every 10 games just to keep up with Washington and Pittsburgh's post January play.

Reactions: Figgzfood

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
There's only one division that doesn't look like there's 3 good teams for the playoffs, which is surprisingly the Central. Not sure there's a lot of easy outs in 2-3 series anywhere this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad