I think the top 3 in the Metro are going to be pretty good come the playoffs.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Assuming the standings go unchanged...

Unless you're the top seed in the Metro, you get to face either Washington, Pittsburgh, Columbus, or Tampa Bay in the 1st round. Have fun.

Geez 1 v WC and 2v3 is a dumb format.

Same goes for the Atlantic and Central btw.

Reactions: varank

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Yeah the metro powers (Caps/Pens/Jackets) are starting to roll. East is gonna be a bloodbath come April.

Reactions: TheTang58

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I don' think anyone considers Columbus a "power". Even when they were an elite team 2 years ago, Bobrovsky ruined all their chances at playoff success.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I never expected the Metro to be out of it for long. All of the top teams of the past few years in that division have had bad stretches any season, Pens in particular early and Caps usually early-mid.

Columbus rolls with Bob. Depends how he’s playing come post season

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Pitt/Washington remain 2 of the absolute top cup contenders this year - as they have been for at least the last 3 years. They will be a very difficult out whoever faces them, so I agree.

I like Columbus. I see them as a darkhorse to make the cup final and I have for a few years. I mean - sorta. In the west they would be. The problem in the east is they have to pass thru Washington or Pitt - to earn the privilege of playing someone like Tampa in round 3. They'd have an easier path in the west, or if some of those teams stumble.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Pitt/Washington remain 2 of the absolute top cup contenders this year - as they have been for at least the last 3 years. They will be a very difficult out whoever faces them, so I agree.

I like Columbus. I see them as a darkhorse to make the cup final and I have for a few years. I mean - sorta. In the west they would be. The problem in the east is they have to pass thru Washington or Pitt - to earn the privilege of playing someone like Tampa in round 3. They'd have an easier path in the west, or if some of those teams stumble.
Yea i like Columbus' team for the most part but they still need another threat or two up front to match Washington or Pittsburgh. I wouldn't consider them a power just yet, they've only finished in the top 3 once (16-17) and haven't been out of the first round.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
I don' think anyone considers Columbus a "power". Even when they were an elite team 2 years ago, Bobrovsky ruined all their chances at playoff success.

I mean they’re quietly 6th in the league in points earned per game right now. I’d say from a divisional perspective they are worthy of mention.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Bob is a great goalie he has to eventually find his game in the playoffs. If/when he does (maybe this year?) they could make some noise.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario

Unless you're the top seed in the Metro, you get to face either Washington, Pittsburgh, Columbus, or Tampa Bay in the 1st round. Have fun.

:help:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Except Columbus. They won't win a thing with Tortz as coach.

Perennial underachieving sqaud.
Sad.

Maybe Torts should pay more attention to his mediocre team instead of talking crap about other players on another team. Oh well, he'll never learn. Another 1st round exit for him.

Reactions: Trade

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007

Sad.

Maybe Torts should pay more attention to his mediocre team instead of talking crap about other players on another team. Oh well, he'll never learn. Another 1st round exit for him.

Maybe he'd get through the first round once in a while if he didn't burn his players by having them block so many shots the entire season.

Reactions: PensandCaps

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
For the Jackets to make a run this year, they need to:

1. Hang on to Panarin and Bob
2. Add a legit 2C so that their opponent(s) can't just focus on stopping the Bread-PLD-Cam line, and
3. Have Playoff Bob play up to the level that he is capable of.

Otherwise it will likely be yet another first round exit.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003

Sad.

They've had a bad draw to be fair. They were stuck in a division with Detroit/Chicago in the west and now Washington/Pittsburgh in the east. They're too good to have never won a series.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario

Sad.

disagree

the most underachieving team in recent memory are the Minnesota Wild

playoffs every year, do absolutely nothing with it. just nothing.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016

Usually I agree with this argument, but as it sits now it would be Washington vs. Boston and Columbus vs. Pittsburgh anyways.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Usually I agree with this argument, but as it sits now it would be Washington vs. Boston and Columbus vs. Pittsburgh anyways.
Yeah the format change would only help so much. And if a team deserves to be in the final they will need to go through another good team eventually.

Also because I can't resist putting in a Super Hans quote: "People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people."

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
The Islanders are a nice story this year but I don't think that roster can compete over a 7-game series with the top teams in the east. What Trotz is doing with them is really impressive, though.
We are shooting for one of the top 3 spots, and hoping for some help before the deadline.
Watching a team that actually plays defense is a treat after last year.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Sad.

Maybe he'd get through the first round once in a while if he didn't burn his players by having them block so many shots the entire season.
Guys? Our coach is John Tortorella, not Bizarro Tortorella. John Tortorella has learned a few things since his days with the Rangers and Canucks. Bizarro Tortorella is too busy trying to beat up Bizarro Sutter to coach hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad