I think the Philly media has a complex

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
They're our rivals. This isn't so much about an inferiority complex as it is just a natural comparison to a team they (and us) have been comparing themselves too for a decade +.

We all hate Flyers here but this article provides no new information and is nothing special. Honestly, the only thing to take out of it is that we're 25 (!!!) points ahead of them.

They've having a bad year and we're not. Will they have a bad year too next year? Are they just bad? Was last year a fluke? No idea. Only one way to find out.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Philly cant have two bad seasons in a row or else their fans may beat them to death with lead pipes.... the real question is do they go into panic blow up mode at the deadline or not.... Patience is not a virtue with that team....

PensFever71

Apr 7, 2008
Pittsburgh
Good read.

I've always thought Philadelphia was bred to hate the Penguins. It sometimes feels like their ultimate goal is to beat us / finish better than us as oppose to winning it all. The series victory from last year's playoffs is something Flyers fans (at least ones I have come into direct contact with) will hang their hats on for awhile.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I look at their line up and really question whats going on with them. I know that Jags isn't there and they've had some injuries but it seems a little tankish to me.

Master Shake*

I am almost hoping they get into the playoffs just so we can sweep them out and watch them meltdown

But ideally they will just miss out on the playoffs and get a middle of pack draft choice

picture.php

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
That's what writers do. I wouldn't be surprised AT ALL to read a similar article from Cook or Smizik.

Piss people off a bit but more importantly get them to read your article...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I can't stand that org, but if the rumors about Richards and Carter were true, I give them props for trading guys they perceived to lack strong character. I truly respect what they did there.

I know those guys went off and won the cup in LA, but their leader was Brown, not Richards.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
I smell a tank...disgusting. ;)

Love how all Flyers fans are on board with tanking and are having a draft pick watch going on.

They can say whatever they want about the Pens and their fans but the proof is right over there in black and white that they are absolute morons doing what they've accused Pittsburgh of doing. Something ain't right with the water in Philly I guess.

Last edited:

Fire Shero*

I really thought last year was a huge fluke for the cryers.

That JVR trade was absolutely horrible. Trading bob didnt work out well either.

Xavier Laflamme*

Love how all Flyers fans are on board with tanking and are having a draft pick watch going on.

They can say whatever they want about the Pens and their fans but the proof is right over there in black and white that they are absolute morons doing what they've accused Pittsburgh of doing. Sometime ain't right with the water in Philly I guess.

It's called being a cynical *******.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

They can say whatever they want about the Pens and their fans but the proof is right over there in black and white that they are absolute morons doing what they've accused Pittsburgh of doing. Sometime ain't right with the water in Philly I guess.

This isn't something new. The year they landed JVR they were all aboard the tank train.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Flyers are just far to willing to not only make bad hockey decisions, but sign them to contracts that are cap killers. Now they have to make a decision on who to buy out, Pronger or Briere. Maybe the goalie who has years to go. They have a sense of entitlement that just is going to continue to go after over rated players with offers that are just not going to work.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
They are tanking, big-time. There is no way that team is 14th in the East bad... no way at all. If you look at the talent their team has vs. what we had post fire-sale it's not even close. Our best players in those years would be 4th liners on this Flyers team or not even on the team. If you're really trying, you don't end up 14th with:

Giroux
Voracek
Simmonds
Cotourier
Fartsmell, etc

Those guys aren't all-world but they're still very good hockey players with well-rounded games. Those guys + decent role players + avg D/G talent, should at a minimum get you to finish somewhere 8-10 (in a bad year). Finishing 14 (where they're headed now) is pure tank.

Sorry but the article is nothing more than bulletin board material for them. It totally glosses over the fact that Holmgren INTENDS to lose at this point, to get a crack at an NHL ready F or D early in this draft. In fact I won't be surprised if he moves someone to get a late 1st or 2nd round pick in addition to their own.

Philly is done and they're playing for the Draft. Nothing more to discuss really. This isn't about coaching messages or player quality. They fell apart early, couldn't regroup and Holmgren decided the best course from there was keep the coach and players and keep losing. Chalk it up to the lockout and come back strong next year.

They'll have a strong draft, they'll buy out Bryzgalov, trade for Luongo or Bernier in the off season and will be right back to being a thorn in our side come October. Can't wait. ;)

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Also, since they made it to the Finals three seasons ago they've had one hell of a roster turnover, for the bad.

Danny Briere, Claude Giroux, Scott Hartnell, Simon Gagne & Kimmo Timonen are the only key holdovers from that team. Briere is on his way out. Gagne left, came back and is about washed up. Timonen is old. That's a lot of personnel change. The never ending revolving door hasn't worked as well for them. Core players and complimentary players both.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pronger retiring due to an injury is that still carried as a cap hit? If so, they will have to take that hit. They don't have very much wiggle room presently and will need to unload Briere and the goalie perhaps. They still have three D men with two and three years to go. Cap geek has them at 2 million of space next year. So they take a big financial hit to clear space. No one will trade for these guys with out a big contract pick up anyway. Next they have to shell out some bucks to the new over paid bozo who goes there.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Flyers have a complex for a reason. The Pittsburgh Penguins have won 14 games in a row. The Philadelphia Flyers have won 13 games this season. Enough said.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

Hypocrites never die.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Wait you're just figuring out that people from Philly have issues?

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
To be fair (and I do this begrudging), they have made some moves over the past few seasons that must really sting that roster. This is hard to ignore, as a player and as a fan:

images

JVR for Schenn? Tough to ignore that.

Last season, people were saying how Giroux makes guys better on his line. Then Jagr leaves and plays at an even higher level with the Stars, while Giroux plays like he did prior to Jagr's arrival in Philly. For someone whose coach has inflated his ego to the extent that Laviolette has, that's probably a pretty tough and humbling pill to swallow.

And Hartnell has been out for half (I think) the season? He is a huge part of their team dynamic.

I don't like the Flyers. At all. But I can absolutely understand how their morale is shot to **** at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad