I think Tampa Bay needs to close the deal with a Cup, who else?

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Of course it's disappointing for us, it's Cup or bust for us. Doesn't mean it's a bad result, but disappointing as hell.
Disappointing for fans but that’s probably 5 teams in the league right now not just us

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
They should. They have 10x the talent the Rangers had when they made the SCF and 2 ECF in 4 year span.

Bolts should have won a Cup by now.
To be fair, the Lightning have also made the SCF and 2 ECF in a 4 year span, and the East is WAY better now than it was during the Rangers era.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Kinda weird for Yzerman to build up this great team and then dip before the fruits of his labour can be realized. If they win this year he should still get his name on it.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
The pressure is on them and Nashville.

It was on Washington, and they got it done. San Jose has had pressure forever but it seems like they never will win.

Toronto and Winnipeg are gonna be treated like cup contenders now, but they can afford to go a few years before they reach a boiling point like TB/NSH. But, because of the fanbases I'm sure it's reversed.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
The pressure is on them and Nashville.

It was on Washington, and they got it done. San Jose has had pressure forever but it seems like they never will win.

Toronto and Winnipeg are gonna be treated like cup contenders now, but they can afford to go a few years before they reach a boiling point like TB/NSH. But, because of the fanbases I'm sure it's reversed.

I came to mention San Jose. If they gel at the right time, they absolutely have the pieces on paper to surprise people.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If Tampa doesn't win a cup during this window it will go down as one of the biggest failures in sports history. The team is absurdly stacked. Between the tax benefits allowing them to sign talent on the cheap, their great drafting always getting them top guys on ELC's and the Rags bending over for them and sending them assets on the cheap you really can't ask for more help to succeed. I honestly think they're more stacked than the Caps teams that didn't win. Nashville probably resembles those caps teams more as they've been consistently dominant for some time while Tampa has been all over the place, even missing the playoffs a few years back.

Agreed. Unpopular opinion but it's shit or get off the pot time. They're going to be entering SJS territory soon. Window is firmly open, players are in their prime, they've been considered a favorite for at least a couple of years.

HM to Nashville.

Kinda weird for Yzerman to build up this great team and then dip before the fruits of his labour can be realized. If they win this year he should still get his name on it.

I'm sure he'd get a ring, he'd be very deserving.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Over the past four years, TB has a made a SCF, two ECFs, were the #1 EC seed last year and are first overall currently. I think anything else other than a Cup is disappointment for them and need to close the deal like the Caps did.

Capitals were the cup favorites for how long? My guess is at least 8 years. Since 2010 when they annihilated the whole NHL with 121 points and 318 goals for. And they won only one cup, you know, last year. So winning the cup requires a huge amount of luck.

Am I disappointed as a Tampa fan? Sure thing. But I would be much more disappointed if I were say a Carolina fan. One cup and then no play-offs for ten years in a row.

So, I say: "take this cup back and give me a play-off fun every year". And as long as Tampa is competing for the cup (winning or not) I am happy enough to watch the ride itself.

Last edited:

PittsburghPens8771

Oct 1, 2017
The NHL is far too volatile for any team to be considered a disappointment if they, say, lose in the ECF.

With that said, I think Tampa is the current cup favorite, and the high expectations of them are mostly warranted.

Tampa was supposedly the cup favorite the past 4 seasons. They just have players that can’t get it done when their season is on the line. Why will this year be any different?

PittsburghPens8771

Oct 1, 2017
Capitals were the cup favorites for how long? My guess is at least 8 years. Since 2010 when they annihilated the whole NHL with 121 points and 318 goals for. And they won only one cup, you know, last year. So winning the cup requires a huge amount of luck.

Am I disappointed as a Tampa fan? Sure thing. But I would be much more disappointed if I were say a Carolina fan. One cup and then no play-offs for ten years in a row.

So, I say: "take this cup back and give me a play-off fun every year". And as long as Tampa is competing for the cup (winning or not) I am happy enough to watch the ride itself.

You would be in the minority with that thought process. Who cares if you make the playoffs every year? I rather have a cup?

Ibanezrokr

Mar 22, 2018
Not a leafs fan at all, but between matthews, nylander, tavares, marner all being on the payroll, and andersen having a career year, there is some serious firepower and immense pressure. I have no idea how they are going to be able to afford that roster ever again, so I see this as their one and only shot.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Who needs to close the deal? San Jose for the last 15 years.

They've been very good for a very long time.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I would say San Jose tops the list of teams that need a cup a.s.a.p.
Other contenders look to have a bit more time with a few just entering a likely 4+ more years where they should remain highly competitive.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Tampa was supposedly the cup favorite the past 4 seasons. They just have players that can’t get it done when their season is on the line. Why will this year be any different?
The same was said for the Capitals for years.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
It's funny that non-Bolts fans have higher expectations of the team than actual fans do. Am I disappointed that they haven't won with this core yet ? Sure. Do I think they've failed in some way ? Not at all. Winning the Cup isn't easy. Just ask Vancouver or Buffalo or Toronto. There's never a guarantee. I'm just glad my team has a realistic shot.

Reactions: Hoek and Dustin

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
The NHL is far too volatile for any team to be considered a disappointment if they, say, lose in the ECF.

With that said, I think Tampa is the current cup favorite, and the high expectations of them are mostly warranted.
When you have Tampa’s roster, it is Cup or bust

Dont try and downplay the expectations

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
outside of stamkos and miller the bolts dont really have any players who normally choke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad