I think it's time to talk about the Wild...

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Chicago does not have the depth to be a contender anymore. I doubt they win a series no matter against who.

The Wild have been just about the best team in the league for three years without their mid-season slump. A very very good team that just got better in the off-season.

And the slump is coming for the anti-jinx if nothing else.

lol

you cant juat discount "slumps"

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
lol

you cant juat discount "slumps"
No, but it is starting to look like the mid season slump was a Mike Yeo thing. They began when he became the head coach and there is no sign of one yet this season. In the Yeo era the wheels would come off in mid December like clockwork, and they would become one of the worst teams in the league for a couple of months and then play lights out to get back to seventh or eighth seed. It happened every season. If it was going to happen this year it should have started two weeks ago.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Doesn't work that way.

Good defenses deflate save percentage.

Wouldn't it depend. A defense that bled shots from the outside and didn't let any high scoring chances would inflate a save percentage wouldn't it ? I think dubnyk is a good goalie but isn't shot quantity what sways save percentage more.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Wouldn't it depend. A defense that bled shots from the outside and didn't let any high scoring chances would inflate a save percentage wouldn't it ? I think dubnyk is a good goalie but isn't shot quantity what sways save percentage more.
There is a point where the guy getting shelled is just facing too much traffic to post good numbers, but goalies in good systems usually face more quality opportunities as a percentage of shots/chances faced.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
There is a point where the guy getting shelled is just facing too much traffic to post good numbers, but goalies in good systems usually face more quality opportunities as a percentage of shots/chances faced.
Plus goalies are better when they get more work. But I bet you could figure out a good defensive system that inflated the goalies save percentage.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
There's nothing to see here! Look, Blue Jackets have won 12 in a row! Price is better than Dubnyk! Mediocrity! Go away!

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I like the Wild a lot, got a ton of respect for how these group of players work so cohesively well. Eric Staal is playing at a high level and has given this team a much needed boost. I expect Cliff Fletcher to make a deadline deal to improve this teams chances in the playoffs. Right now, I seriously think the Wild are the best team in the Central division and I got this team pegged for the Conference Finals this year.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I like the Wild a lot, got a ton of respect for how these group of players work so cohesively well. Eric Staal is playing at a high level and has given this team a much needed boost. I expect Cliff Fletcher to make a deadline deal to improve this teams chances in the playoffs. Right now, I seriously think the Wild are the best team in the Central division and I got this team pegged for the Conference Finals this year.

You mean Chuck or are you saying Cliff on purpose?

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Plus goalies are better when they get more work. But I bet you could figure out a good defensive system that inflated the goalies save percentage.

It all depends on what you consider good defense.

A good shot suppression defense does not inflate SV%. Minnesota does not have that. They allow 30.7 shots per game which is 20th in the league. If they allowed around 25 shots per game, Dubnyk's SV% would probably be lower.

I can tell you it's practically impossible for Quick to ever win the SV% title due to the fact the Kings are the best shot suppression team in the league.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yes, we are coming to burn down your village.

Wild are doing it with quality depth, and what brilliance they have ( Suter, Dubnyk) is packaged in a very economical, mundane wrapping.

Almost all their young players ( Coyle, Nino, Zucker, Granlund, Dumba, Brodin, Folin, Graovac)have improved significantly this year, while the older players are still playing well with the exception of Parise. IF he starts to play like he normally does( and he was showing signs of that recently), and IF Dubnyk and Suter stay healthy, then the Wild have a chance to go far in the playoffs. The scoring depth and defensive depth is pretty impressive. The only thing that is average is the fourth line of Stewart, Graovac, and Gabriel, but they will ensure that the Wild won't be bullied like they have been in the past with the Blues, Ducks, Jets, etc..

Bottom line, though, is that the Metro is where all action is at, and CBJ deserves all the attention, not the Wild. I'm convinced that the Caps are going to be a force in the playoffs this year, NYR and MTL will challenge also. Can't believe that TB will spin their wheels forever, though FLA looks messed up.

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
It all depends on what you consider good defense.

A good shot suppression defense does not inflate SV%. Minnesota does not have that. They allow 30.7 shots per game which is 20th in the league. If they allowed around 25 shots per game, Dubnyk's SV% would probably be lower.

I can tell you it's practically impossible for Quick to ever win the SV% title due to the fact the Kings are the best shot suppression team in the league.

Yeah I've seen you talk about it before. But shot suppression vs low quality shots are different. Kings don't give up lots of shots but they give up hard ones when they do normally.

2advanced4u

Jun 15, 2016
Doesn't work that way.

Good defenses deflate save percentage.

that is completely false, if you're talking about just shots against there is absolutely no correlation between shots against/60 and save percentage.

and also minnesota is indeed the best defensive team in the NHL

Oct 18, 2011
Jinx thread.

The Wild are currently on a 10 game tear having just beaten both Montreal and the Rangers back to back. They have a goalie who's the leading candidate for the Vezina, the best defense in the league, and a top 5 offense led by veterans like Eric Staal, Zach Parise, and Mikko Koivu, but also by a group of talented 24 year olds in Charlie Coyle, Nino Niederreiter, Mikael Granlund, Jason Zucker, and Erik Haula.

How far can a team with elite goaltending, arguably the best d group in the league, and the ability to roll 3 lines with capable 30 goal scorers on every line be?

The only thing is they don't have an ELITE superstar...

Cheers
they don't have a single player on pace for 30 goals, so there's that.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
Beating the Rangers isn't as tough as one might think.
The other teams we beat on this streak were the Leafs, the Oilers (twice), Florida, St Louis, Arizona, Colorado and Nashville. So basically this streak didn't really count until the Habs and Rangers games because the only other good team we beat was St Louis (I guess you could count Nashville too because they are good at home and the game was in Nashville).

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
The other teams we beat on this streak were the Leafs, the Oilers (twice), Florida, St Louis, Arizona, Colorado and Nashville. So basically this streak didn't really count until the Habs and Rangers games because the only other good team we beat was St Louis.

Not really sure what you mean by that but okay.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
that is completely false, if you're talking about just shots against there is absolutely no correlation between shots against/60 and save percentage.

and also minnesota is indeed the best defensive team in the NHL

Using shots against / 60 is flawed because it has a carryover effect from game to game which is what you want to avoid. You have to segregate each game.

A goalie who faces 25 shots per game is at more of a distinct disadvantage SV% wise than a goalie who faces 30 shots per game.

Just look at this table. It's all the starting goalies in the league for their careers. And please note that this is for complete games only (games where the goalie played 55 minutes or more). Also it doesn't include this year's stats. I made this in the offseason.

Goaltender | 29 or fewer shots SV% | 30 or more shots SV%
Frederick Andersen|.922|.928
Craig Anderson|.899|.928
Ben Bishop|.912|.937
Sergei Bobrovsky|.910|.930
Marc Andre Fleury|.909|.924
Jaroslav Halak|.915|.931
Braden Holtby|.920|.931
Jimmy Howard|.911|.929
Robin Lehner|.899|.930
Henrik Lundqvist|.916|.933
Roberto Luongo|.913|.932