I think it's time to talk about the Wild...

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Jinx thread.

The Wild are currently on a 10 game tear having just beaten both Montreal and the Rangers back to back. They have a goalie who's the leading candidate for the Vezina, the best defense in the league, and a top 5 offense led by veterans like Eric Staal, Zach Parise, and Mikko Koivu, but also by a group of talented 24 year olds in Charlie Coyle, Nino Niederreiter, Mikael Granlund, Jason Zucker, and Erik Haula.

How far can a team with elite goaltending, arguably the best d group in the league, and the ability to roll 3 lines with capable 30 goal scorers on every line be?

The only thing is they don't have an ELITE superstar...

Cheers

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Blue Jackets vs Wild finals confirmed

26FxCOdhlvEQXbeH6.gif

J/K, it's all good. I'm sure they're all getting exciting.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
Boudreau is a great coach

But I feel like the Wild are a slightly above average team with incredible goaltending

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
A lot of people argue that their great defense is supporting the goalie not the other way around.

Meh dubnyk was actually pretty good in edmonton other than one year. He's not a bad goalie either way.

Yes Minnesota has better defense than edmonton did but he still managed around a .915 in edmonton other than the year he was traded 3 times after the gm destroyed his confidence

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
They got really average possession stats. Dunno if they're gonna keep going the rate they're going.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
They look really good but...Boudreau. He's been at the helm of two different franchises that served up chokes of epic proportions year after year. I wouldn't bet on them in a series against Chicago.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
They look really good but...Boudreau. He's been at the helm of two different franchises that served up chokes of epic proportions year after year. I wouldn't bet on them in a series against Chicago.

Did they serve up chokes or did he make them seem better than they should.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010

Chicago does not have the depth to be a contender anymore. I doubt they win a series no matter against who.

The Wild have been just about the best team in the league for three years without their mid-season slump. A very very good team that just got better in the off-season.

And the slump is coming for the anti-jinx if nothing else.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
A lot of people argue that their great defense is supporting the goalie not the other way around.

those people wouldnt be completely incorrect but dubnyk is playing out of his mind, good defense or not. team defense doesnt affect sv% as much as some think. dubnyk deserves most of the credit for his great play.

minnesota is a good team with a great coach on a hot streak right now. i wouldnt say theyd be an easy out come playoffs but i doubt theyre considered a real threat for the cup.

then again the league, and the west in particular, is wide open this year so who knows.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Best defense in the league :laugh::handclap:

They're on a PDO high and will come down, unless Dubnyk stands on his head for the entire season. Montreal west is a great description.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Let's not have a main board discussion. People use these threads to trash teams they know nothing about. Funny how people always go out of there way in GDTs to say they avoid watching a team, then proceed to pontificate about that same team on the main board.

Wild are Cup Contenders if any team besides Pittsburgh is. The Staal and Koivu lines can match up with any Top 6 group when it comes to two-way play and we know that the Wild can defend as well as anyone. Also, the Parise-Haula-Pominville 3rd line (when healthy) gives them 3 lines that can defend and score to go along with a top 3 Goalie/Defense.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Let's not have a main board discussion. People use these threads to trash teams they know nothing about. Funny how people always go out of there way in GDTs to say they avoid watching a team, then proceed to pontificate about that same team on the main board.

Wild are Cup Contenders if any team besides Pittsburgh is. The Staal and Koivu lines can match up with any Top 6 group when it comes to two-way play and we know that the Wild can defend as well as anyone. Also, the Parise-Haula-Pominville 3rd line (when healthy) gives them 3 lines that can defend and score to go along with a top 3 Goalie/Defense.

parise cant stay healthy.

i just dont see them having the offensive talent or speed up front to go deep. theyre kind of like last years blues, but they dont have a tarasenko level talent.

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
Chicago does not have the depth to be a contender anymore. I doubt they win a series no matter against who.

The Wild have been just about the best team in the league for three years without their mid-season slump. A very very good team that just got better in the off-season.

And the slump is coming for the anti-jinx if nothing else.

Best team in the league aside from slumps, including those pesky slumps getting swept by the hawks

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Bruce Boudreau's regular season record into his 3rd team now is ridiculous. the moment he wins a Cup he becomes the best coach of a generation.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Bruce Boudreau's regular season record into his 3rd team now is ridiculous. the moment he wins a Cup he becomes the best coach of a generation.

Yeah, but just imagine if the Wild go one and done after losing Game 7 on home ice...

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
This year's version of the Wild almost always give up more shots than they take, unless they are really dominating the other team. The shots they give up tend to be garbage while the shots they take are more likely to be dangerous chances. I don't know if Boudreau is purposefully trying to troll advanced stats but it does put them in the position of routinely out chancing their opponent while also being out shot themselves.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Yeah, but just imagine if the Wild go one and done after losing Game 7 on home ice...

Wild are probably the worst perceived looking team he has had to work with so it won't be a big deal. First coach I would hire If I wanted to make the playoffs or win the presidents trophy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad