Proposal: i think habs sign caufeild 8 year deal

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
.25 assists per game during his career to date is pretty awful. He did have 8 assists in that one playoff run but it seems like a mirage (if you factor in those games, it boosts him up to a whopping .27 per game to be fair). He should probably figure out the art of the "pass" before committing longterm.
Auston, COUGH COUGH.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Probably something close to 8 x 7.5m if it's long term. He's not getting more than Suzuki imo

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I don't think Caufield has the leverage to ask for 8+ mill. Then again on a 8 year deal maybe he does. I know Habs fans are quick to want to pay him alot but the kid has missed alot of time why not use that as a way of bargaining with the player instead of just giving up the bank for free

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
He was being wasted under Ducharme. Guy almost ruined him. Since St Louis took over he has 48 goals in 83 games. That’s a better indication of what he’s capable of.
If that’s the expectation he should be looking for $10m+ long term.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I don't see CC wanting a 8 year deal, IMO he likely will go much shorter deal 3-5 years so he reaches his potential first and allows cap to rise before wanting his 8 year max dollar deal.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I don't see CC wanting a 8 year deal, IMO he likely will go much shorter deal 3-5 years so he reaches his potential first and allows cap to rise before wanting his 8 year max dollar deal.
It's been pretty widely reported in the market that the expectation is an 8 year deal.

There's a lot of weird takes in here including his assists, he was trending towards a 49 goal season and he's still leading the habs in goals this year despite not playing since January. His assists will go up when either Slaf or another goal scorer appears on the other wing.

I'd be happy with an 8x8 and I think it'd be a bargain contract as soon as next year

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
It's been pretty widely reported in the market that the expectation is an 8 year deal.

There's a lot of weird takes in here including his assists, he was trending towards a 49 goal season and he's still leading the habs in goals this year despite not playing since January. His assists will go up when either Slaf or another goal scorer appears on the other wing.

I'd be happy with an 8x8 and I think it'd be a bargain contract as soon as next year

I just can't see 8x8 hugely risky for the Habs for a tiny winger, soft, not good defensively and had a long injury with no proven track record. I mean if I was the Habs GM and his agent asked for 8x8 I would have a hard time not laughing out loud in his face. You really would give him that? Honestly? Not me in a million years at this stage at least.

• Haha
Reactions: Canadienna

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I just can't see 8x8 hugely risky for the Habs for a tiny winger, soft, not good defensively and had a long injury with no proven track record. I mean if I was the Habs GM and his agent asked for 8x8 I would have a hard time not laughing out loud in his face. You really would give him that? Honestly? Not me in a million years at this stage at least.
Depending on your valuation I guess. Seems to me these Habs fans are expecting his 48G pace with MLS to not only to continue but get better due to his age.

Based on that 8 x 8 is an insult to be honest. Laine’s 2 year bridge was 8.28% if the cap goes up by $2m that near $7m. I some how doubt these Habs fans think Laine is as good as Caufield when Laine was on a 33 goal pace. The question for just two years is how much better do Habs fans think Caufield is that Laine not just goal scoring but overall. I feel it’s significant. $8m might be the Habs first offer for 2 years not 8 years. Matthews was only on pace for 44 goals in his contract year. Caufield isn’t a center but for the production they expect Caufield might be closer to a Matthews contract.

Last edited:

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Depending on your valuation I guess. Seems to me these Habs fans are expecting his 48G pace with MLS to not only to continue but get better due to his age.

Based on that 8 x 8 is an insult to be honest. Laine’s 2 year bridge was 8.28% if the cap goes up by $2m that near $7m. I some how doubt these Habs fans think Laine is as good as Caufield when Laine was on a 33 goal pace. The question for just two years is how much better do Habs fans think Caufield is that Laine not just goal scoring but overall. I feel it’s significant. $8m might be the Habs first offer for 2 years not 8 years.

yeh i agree it depends on a persons valuation, I was never a big fan of Laine, just not a big fan of one dimensional type of players. CC has potential, but so far his sample size is smaller then he is so giving him a huge contract of 8x8 IMO is a huge risk that he might never be worth that.

Reactions: TS Quint

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
yeh i agree it depends on a persons valuation, I was never a big fan of Laine, just not a big fan of one dimensional type of players. CC has potential, but so far his sample size is smaller then he is so giving him a huge contract of 8x8 IMO is a huge risk that he might never be worth that.
Im not really disagreeing with your valuation but either way we got to look to other contracts to compare. Even you saying you don’t like one dimensional Laine that puts Caufield’s contract equal to Laine’s 2 year contract as the very lowest floor In your opinion? Or is a bridge just better to let him prove it?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Im not really disagreeing with your valuation but either way we got to look to other contracts to compare. Even you saying you don’t like one dimensional Laine that puts Caufield’s contract equal to Laine’s 2 year contract as the very lowest floor In your opinion? Or is a bridge just better to let him prove it?

If I'm CC and Habs want to offer me 8x8 I take that immediately and run. If Habs offer a bridge, which is what I would do, no chance I give him 8 million.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
An 8 years deal takes him to +/- 29 years old.

Then what?

The Habs have their back against the wall to sign him to another 8 years contract as a UFA? Untill 37 yo?

In my opinion the best alternative would be to sign him to a 3-4 years deal, around the same numbers as Suzuki, and then sign him to an 8 years deal after this contract, at around 25 yo (+8 years so untill +/- 33 yo).

I think it would be the best case scenario.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
An 8 years deal takes him to +/- 29 years old.

Then what?

The Habs have their back against the wall to sign him to another 8 years contract as a UFA? Untill 37 yo?

In my opinion the best alternative would be to sign him to a 3-4 years deal, around the same numbers as Suzuki, and then sign him to an 8 years deal after this contract, at around 25 yo (+8 years so untill +/- 33 yo).

I think it would be the best case scenario.

Exactly, I would be offering him a bridge now.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I agree fully with the OP.....Caufield is the real deal.....8 years at 7-8 mill will be a bargain eventually....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad