i still like our team

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I think the season was a regression to be honest.

This was supposed to be the year that legitimate in your face progress was made.

But it’s important to note that I don’t think there is an issue with the team, I believe this is one of those situations where the coach needs to be held accountable.

Tavares only got 20 minutes, Matthews got 17 minutes. Every other team rides there too guys 23-24 + minutes a game. Babcock doesn’t even like to ride the #1 PP unit and frequently prefers to use our 4th line against other teams top lines.

His roster management skills are non existent. He is holding this team back and stifling them.

Yep. I understand it in the reg season. But the whole point was to be ready for the playoffs.

Matthews is our best player. He should have been out there half the fame

Reactions: leafs in five

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I still like this team. However, this year was probably a much better shot for them then the next couple will be due to cap hell. The year was wasted when management didn't have the guts to fire their coaching staff when the team was playing so poorly in the second half. Things get tougher going forward.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I still like this team. However, this year was probably a much better shot for them then the next couple will be due to cap hell. The year was wasted when management didn't have the guts to fire their coaching staff when the team was playing so poorly in the second half. Things get tougher going forward.

I think next season will be a bit of a transition/tread water one, but thing we only look brighter after that

striker3

Mar 26, 2019
I really wish I could just like the thread title. I said it in a different way in the PGT but this team definitely isn’t where it will be and after tonight I still can’t find a reason to throw this team into a blender like many people are suggesting

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
We get to watch a team with a real young core make the playoffs every year.

These aren't exactly dark times at the end of the day.

Yeah...ain't no Ballard shipping our young players out of town time and time again because he didn't want to pay them.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Too many softies in this team. Add to that there is that entitled brat boy with his smug face as gm. There is skilled players with some size anf grit available. Dubler Dubas is just a horrible gm and needs to be fired.

NetflixandPhil

May 7, 2016
The curse is, we will have 40+ mil tied up between Matthews, Marner, Tavares, and Nylander. And that crop of forwards couldnt get us out of the first round this season. We are entering a cap hell like no other, and we dont have any long playoff runs or Stanley Cups to show for it (like the Kings or Hawks before cap troubles came)

There are creative ways to move out bad contracts to clear up space. If you haven't seen it yet I created a po on the main board where you can pick which 2 of our players should be cap casualties. Always teams willing to take contracts to get to the floor (Ottawa, Arizona come to mind)

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
I still like the team but it needs a retool. Get rid of a couple of players and Babcock. Guy is a dinosaur who won't adjust or adapt

bentharbs

Feb 25, 2018
I definitely still like this team. Time to grow. Cap management will become a bit of an issue but I trust management. We need to fill holes and either get Babs to be creative at times, or ship him. Then we will see what this team is made of.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Im very happy with the playoff performance.

I thought going into this series we were just going to get killed.

We didn't. We played a very even series with a long time nemesis and actually matched them physically with a roster that anyone would consider "soft".

I still would like to see some more grit to balance out our offence, I don't know if we will see it with GM Dumb Glasses at the helm, but fingers crossed.

Marner, Reilly, Muzzin, Tavares, Hyman, Mathews, Freddie.....well done boys.

We have a great core for years to come. We aren't that far removed from lottery pick days.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
We need better defensive players... (Both F and D)...

Look at the team Lou Lamoriello built in NY. That team plays the game the right way.

We cannot play that way simply because we have too many players that don't want to play defensive hockey.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
Bruins fan coming in peace. your team is VERY good and fought quite well. You only fell short because the Bruins got the bounces and that can happen to anyone.

In your shoes I'd be hesitant to make big changes, the only thing I might do is look for some veterans with positive playoff history to instill some confidence in your youngsters. Beyond that, all I'd try to do is learn some lessons from the series and get 'em next year.

You guys are always a tough kill and our 2 teams are fairly well matched so playing you guys is always good television. Congrats on a well fought series and see you guys next year

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
One, I'm not a Bruins fan AT ALL (despite the avatar). I'm a Flyers fan who just wanted to honor Bobby Orr.

And, yes, there is a ton to like about the Leafs moving forward. I would swap my Flyers team for the Leafs team in an instant if I could.

That said, the biggest problems I see as an outside, non-emotional voice, are these:

1. The Leafs are still too top-heavy and have way to much cap space tied up in similar players (offensive, non-physical, scorers).

2. The Tavares contract will prove to be prohibitive. They should have pushed him to really give them a discount and a better AVG cap hit, if he truly wanted to play in Toronto like he said. Having the second largest cap hit in the NHL behind McDavid will keep the Leafs in a hard place, despite what people on here think.

3. I still feel (and this is a just a hunch) that there is "something" off between Babcock and the team's best players. Some of the decisions Babcock makes are puzzling, and it's as if he wants to win an "ego war" of some sort, and let the team know who's boss.

4. Andersen is good-not-great and the Leafs D needs AT LEAST two impact pieces.

But, yes, there's a lot to like.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Too many softies in this team. Add to that there is that entitled brat boy with his smug face as gm. There is skilled players with some size anf grit available. Dubler Dubas is just a horrible gm and needs to be fired.

What I love is that this series proved that our alleged "softness" turned out to be complete bullshit. We outplayed them sizeably at 5 on 5 and didn't get pushed around in corners at all. Even our smaller guys like Moore and Ennis were giving Bruins the business.

The issues are clear as day with this team, and luckily they're verry fixable.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I love our team. They will be fine long term. You have to remember, there are lot more playoff defeats than there are wins but the wins are worth the wait.

It took Ovechkin till the age of 32 to finally win. He's been through some soul crushing defeats against the Penguins and the series against Halak. If he can still win despite that, we'll be fine.

I don't like the guy behind the bench but those guys are easily replaced and it seems that Babcock's time in Toronto will come to an end in a year.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
We need better defensive players... (Both F and D)...

Look at the team Lou Lamoriello built in NY. That team plays the game the right way.

We cannot play that way simply because we have too many players that don't want to play defensive hockey.

:facepalm: The team Lou built in NY won't even make the playoffs next season. Lehner is sporting a .951SV%. That shit is impossible to maintain.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
What I love is that this series proved that our alleged "softness" turned out to be complete bull****. We outplayed them sizeably at 5 on 5 and didn't get pushed around in corners at all. Even our smaller guys like Moore and Ennis were giving Bruins the business.

The issues are clear as day with this team, and luckily they're verry fixable.
I agree. If I have an issue with the Leafs roster, it's that it's pretty heavily invested in a handful of top players, which does hurt the team at times. In the recent game 7 the Bruins did a lot of their damage against the Leafs' depth, and that's typical for a franchise who gets big eyes for big names. Contrast to the Bruins style which is typically to feature a relatively underwhelming top line but feature 4 lines that can skate and play their roles. It's an interesting juxtaposition and does highlight the strengths and weaknesses of both roster styles

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I think the season was a regression to be honest.

Oddly, with our cap situation, it isn't hard to imagine a regression next season. We will be facing some pretty significant roster cuts this summer. IF that materializes, that would be two consecutive seasons of regression.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
2015-16 Dead last
2016-17 Took the 1st overall team in the league to 6 games (5 in OT)
2017-18 Took the 4th overall team in the league to 7 games
2018-19 Took the 2nd overall team in the league to 7 games

Our 5 youngest players? Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, and Dermott
Half the roster under 25

I get that there was some hope that we'd get by Boston this year, and the wound is pretty fresh, but IMO there's no reason to be out on the ledge and screaming for wholesale changes.

But I know that's the HF way, so there's no point fighting it, but for what it's worth, I still like our team too and will in front of my TV for the first preseason game, and rooting for them to win, whoever is wearing the jersey or is behind the bench.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad