i still like our team

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
we have some young kids that havent learned how to win in the playoffs yet... Big deal.. We have a good hearted team, that tries and are really good people. The lack of sticking up for eachother isnt due to lack of heart its just not in the personality of our players. Gentlemanly players are great to have but we need some mean guys similar to Kadri. But thats not to fault our gentlemanly players...But 99% of our team played their heart out. This hurts Marleau, Gardner, Kadri and Babcock more than anyone else so just keep that in mind.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Thank you for this. Sadly this thread will either get drowned out or turn negative.

It was still a good season, sucks it ended earlier than any of us wanted it to, but them's the breaks sometimes.

There will likely be changes, I just hope nothing too stupid is done. Build on this and come back stronger!

Reactions: PlietscherDassel

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
The curse is, we will have 40+ mil tied up between Matthews, Marner, Tavares, and Nylander. And that crop of forwards couldnt get us out of the first round this season. We are entering a cap hell like no other, and we dont have any long playoff runs or Stanley Cups to show for it (like the Kings or Hawks before cap troubles came)

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I think the season was a regression to be honest.

This was supposed to be the year that legitimate in your face progress was made.

But it’s important to note that I don’t think there is an issue with the team, I believe this is one of those situations where the coach needs to be held accountable.

Tavares only got 20 minutes, Matthews got 17 minutes. Every other team rides there too guys 23-24 + minutes a game. Babcock doesn’t even like to ride the #1 PP unit and frequently prefers to use our 4th line against other teams top lines.

His roster management skills are non existent. He is holding this team back and stifling them.

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
See I just dont see what the point of this is honestly. We have a good hearted team? Are you saying other teams arent good hearted? (i mean most likely not Boston :P) This team showed for a lot of this season that they did NOT have the type of heart you need in sports, they were coasting on skill alone. Being a good person does not bring you success in the arena. Coaching also had a lot to do with what happened this year, but this team lacked the heart and desire it so desperately needed.

Reactions: hudster

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
I understand the saying is you need to learn how to win but how does that happen when the young core has lost at the same step the last 3 seasons. The playoff vets like Hainsey and Marleau can’t teach young players much when they do nothing on the ice to help you win.

dosages

Oct 16, 2017
We have a team that's good, a few little tinkers on the roster and we are fine, but the problem is the coaching staff.. people really underrate how much a coach can change the playstyle of the team and get them to perform to their abilities and not playing a different style than they should be like they are now..

We should focusing on puck possesion more and cycling rather than just throwing puck at the net for 2nd/3rd chance plays and generating HD chances that way. 5V5 that's how most of our goals are scored, just rebounds and puck luck mixed with when our skill does show.

Now where our skill should show is on the man advantage and this year it was in a freefall around december onwards I think, We don't run a PP setup built for our players, everyone plays on their strong side so there is not many setting up the shooter plays and not a lot of shooting as a result of that, we literally try to pass the puck in close and try to get deflections and rebounds, that's a part of hockey but really you can't have that as your main point of attack on a PP, and Matthews has shown that he is a very capable shooter on his offwing in the playoffs so I dont understand. Hiller is most likely gone and hopefully replaced by Keefe in AC role.

DJ Smith runs a defensive structure where we do not defend the point, he leaves it open which against teams like St Louis and NYI showed how f***ing bad of a scheme it was just letting point shots fly. IDK what they are going to do with DJ Smith but whatever.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think there are legitimate things to be upset with but honestly I'm not giving up on this young core, they're barely in their 20s this point.

Theres still plenty of things to be excited about moving forward

This team needs some surgery and a change of leadership

Our special teams are an abomination, our defensive structure looks non existent half the time and how we dole out ice time is beyond bad into the down right atrocious

This team was good enough to win and was better longer throughout the series yet we still lost badly

Something isn't right

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This team needs some surgery and a change of leadership

Our special teams are an abomination, our defensive structure looks non existent half the time and how we dole out ice time is beyond bad into the down right atrocious

This team was good enough to win and was better longer throughout the series yet we still lost badly

Something isn't right

Imo most of what you're describing is a coaching issue.

They're is probably some tinkering still to be done regarding the roster, but theres a foundation here for success moving forward once the chips start to fall at the right times

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Imo most of what you're describing is a coaching issue.

They're is probably some tinkering still to be done regarding the roster, but theres a foundation here for success moving forward once the chips start to fall at the right times

Not if you have the wrong coach in place, we've got roster holes and a coach that seems incapable of correcting our tactical and systematic issues

Until those are corrected were going to spin our tyres

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
It's just really unfortunate we had to play the Bruins again, with Kadri again suspended. They match up well against our young team, and even they were outplayed, but won the series.

I see no need to worry, they are growing still. Let's see what moves are made, if they can free up some space and focus on some balance in the lineup. All great teams have it.

Reactions: Rob Brown

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
we have some young kids that havent learned how to win in the playoffs yet... Big deal.. We have a good hearted team, that tries and are really good people. The lack of sticking up for eachother isnt due to lack of heart its just not in the personality of our players. Gentlemanly players are great to have but we need some mean guys similar to Kadri. But thats not to fault our gentlemanly players...But 99% of our team played their heart out. This hurts Marleau, Gardner, Kadri and Babcock more than anyone else so just keep that in mind.

You should. They are a great team when all things are considered.
There are flaws, there are some major issues here and there.
At the same time, all 31 teams have flaws and big issues here and there as well.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
We've gotten better just not good enough yet.

We need guys we dont have in our system, guys like Bracco, Sandin and Lilly aren't gonna make a difference in this type if series IMO.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I am not satisfied with this team.

Coach and GM included

A long way to go before we contend.

I do like Muzzin though.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Thank you for this. Sadly this thread will either get drowned out or turn negative.

It was still a good season, sucks it ended earlier than any of us wanted it to, but them's the breaks sometimes.

There will likely be changes, I just hope nothing too stupid is done. Build on this and come back stronger!

I didn’t like our season personally, and was pleasantly surprised we went 7 with Boston in the postseason.

I felt as a team we stepped backwards this season, we didn’t seem to have confidence or an identity as a group, our defense was dreadful and for the depth we had/our pp was disappointing. Overall I thought the team lacked heart all season long. It was a breath of fresh air to get muzzin and have someone throw a hit.

Reactions: frog

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Thanks for the post. I agree that it’s some time to take real stock. We wanted a rebuild right?

Leaf fans in 2016 were so sure they were all in on a 5 year rebuild.......

3 years later: fire everyone!!!!!

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I'm all for being positive but you can't polish a turd. Most of us saw this coming with the way we've been playing since the new year. This season can be seen as nothing other than an complete and utter failure

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
First I think most people like the team. I'd say that's a base line status for everyone.

And it's nice that our team is full of good people. But if we just wanted to be fans of good people we'd be on a board about charity workers. Those are really good people. I wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars to see them doing charity work though.

The future isn't dead or anything. But this season was a failure. They went out there and as good gentlemen, failed. That can't be considered good enough and they have a lot of work. Serious examination from top to bottom needs to happen from the coach to the personnel.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
2 things i got out of the interviews.

1.) babs said that we have some guys coming up front who will make us bigger...

2.) rielly said that the team wants gardiner back.... there have been multiple mentions of gardiner coming back.

It would be impossible to bring hi. Back. Unless marleau is gone....

I think that’s why we played marleau so much. In my mind..... it kinda makes sense.

Play him in the playoffs. Give him a good sendoff and let him leave

I mean. With Kadri out who else would we play 6 on 5

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I'm all for being positive but you can't polish a turd. Most of us saw this coming with the way we've been playing since the new year. This season can be seen as nothing other than an complete and utter failure

How many teams have been complete failures this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->