Post-Game Talk: I really wanted to beat these arseholes. But we lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Demko can only do so much. Can't expect him to steal *every* game.

I've joked that Green is probably yelling at Demko to find a way to make unsustainable goaltending sustainable but we're probably not that far off the mark...

It's utterly weird seeing people get dazzled by Benning doing the equivalent of waving car keys in front of an infant's face while ignoring far more pressing issues for the team. "Ooooh, Garland, shiny..."

wow this one stings. Wether you are team tank or pro Canuck, this one kinda hurts. 1-0? to Chicago?

Off the heels of getting beat up by Connor McDavid and the Oilers in a back-to-back.

Canucks should've been coming out of this hungry and ready to rock the Blackhawks. Instead, we get a 1-0 grind fest that basically would be Chicago's strategy going into this game, lol.

But Green lets our players play! Imagine the looks on everyone's faces when he wins the Jack Adams...

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Demko can only do so much. Can't expect him to steal *every* game.
How does Demko stole this game even come into this discussion? He played solid. Fleury played better by one goal. It is completely reasonable to say they lost because of Fleury. This is the NHL. Goalies are good.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It's really hard to argue in either direction given that the team has essentially made lateral moves this offseason. Garland is about the only real significant upgrade. I'd consider OEL to be a sidegrade to last year's Edler. Podkolzin isn't really playing meaningful minutes and is about inline with what Virtanen was contributing.

We've also had a lot of crap getting shoehorned into roles that they aren't suited for. Poolman and Dickinson immediately come to mind.

Honestly, this year's and last year's rosters aren't really different in any meaningful way, IMO, and we're seeing it bear out with the on-ice product.

More and more that Covid Bubble is looking like a mirage.
Our center depth looks actually worse than last season which is real achievement.
Edler-Schmidt is probably the same as OEL-Myers and the 3rd paring is actually more tragic than last years paring which is also an amazing feat.
Our wings improved with the addition of Pod and Garland but then it’s hard to really see them shine when the centers are worse.
Oh, Halak>>>Holtby.

Reactions: tantalum

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I said it in the other thread, but it bears repeating. That 3rd period, when you consider the context, was the worst period the team has played this season.

We had a great last 10 minutes of the 2nd period. It's 0-0. The game is there for the taking, against a tired, terrible team on the 2nd night of a BTB and down to 5 defenders. Last game of a homestand, team badly needs a win in this very winnable game.

And they just came out in the 3rd and wanted it more than we did. Shots 12-2 through the first 15 minutes. Didn't get a shot from a forward until the late PP. All kinds of sloppy turnovers and careless plays.

I don't really care if we outplayed them through 40 minutes. When you play a 3rd period like that in that situation, you deserve to lose.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
How does Demko stole this game even come into this discussion? He played solid. Fleury played better by one goal. It is completely reasonable to say they lost because of Fleury. This is the NHL. Goalies are good.
That seems to be the strategy of the Canucks in recent history. Expect our goalie to outduel the other goalie (which Demko almost always does). But that isn't enough. Marty Turco got three shutouts against us in our Dallas playoff series years ago , and we still advanced.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Could say the team was unlucky and maybe deserved to win. But in the third when they had to take over the game against a tired mediocre Chicago team they couldn't. Give Fleury lots of credit and maybe recognize he was a little lucky but the team just is not completing or finishing plays around the net.

Good

Podkolzin - best forward. Looks ready to break out but may not because of poor play by centers.

Garland - not every shift but our most constant danger. Still looking like he has chemistry with Podkolzin but its the two of them against the other team in the offensive zone

OEL - didn't like the call on the late penalty and not his fault the forwards keeps turning the puck over coming out their zone leaving the defense flat-footed coming out their zone

Motte - creating turnovers and helping make the PK little more respectable. Trouble is he is with a couple of plumbers who can do nothing with anything Motte creates.

Bad

Hamonic - puck movement and stick handling was tragic. Lots of effort but very crudely done. Prone to turnovers in his zone and mostly just beating the puck to death. Hard to develop any sort of smoothness when you are drifting in and out of the lineup. Looking a great deal like he looked at the beginning of last season.

Dickinson - again ineffective. Muffed away any chances that he had and contributed basically nothing. Thought I heard the boring imac say he was fitting in well. If so, then just one more example of how ridiculous he is.

Miller - maybe he needs glasses or better contacts. Continuously passed the puck to Chicago players. Too bad b/c players on his line like Podkolzin were going. Might be hurt but puck movement was creating problems all game. Good player but is fighting it and definitely out of sync. And his play points to a very deep problem with the team -poor play and very poor production from the centers.

Pettersson - Have to worry about the wrist given how he can't get his shot on the net even from close in. Being put in position to do something and is not getting it done. Fact he has 3 goal in 18 games is a huge reason for where the club is and points out just how very poor he has been. Tonight was simply a continuation of what we have seen all season.

Chaisson - guy has no business being in the NHL. Worst player on one of the worst teams in the NHL.

Others

Horvat - better but still getting nothing accomplished. Needs to be a difference maker and isn't

Boeser - looks very average. Still struggling with the skating and not getting to positions were he can make a play. There is very little flow in the Flow's game. Like Horvat continues illustrate a slow first step and lack of quickness.

Hughes - seems to be trending down. Was controlling play earlier in the season but not recently.

Buroughs - overall good effort but he is prone to the type of gaffes that loses games. Did a good job skating Hawk players off the puck and in stepping out in the neutral s zone but ends up too often playing pucks from deep in his end. If he could anticipate and skate better he could reduce the gap between him and the forward when moving the puck up and in joining the rush.

At least the PK looked better but they desperately have to start looking for something different on the PP.

Last edited:

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
You can’t still be thinking that the COVID team was what this team really is.

To be perfectly, emphatically clear: I have never thought the Covid team was anything more than Markstrom (and later Demko) going on a hot streak. My statement was meant to be a point saying that it is becoming increasingly hard for the folks who insistently cling to that as being the 'real' Canucks and everything immediately preceding and following it was 'fake' to point to that.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
To be perfectly, emphatically clear: I have never thought the Covid team was anything more than Markstrom (and later Demko) going on a hot streak. My statement was meant to be a point saying that it is becoming increasingly hard for the folks who insistently cling to that as being the 'real' Canucks and everything immediately preceding and following it was 'fake' to point to that.

Ahh my bad; I read it like you were holding out hope.

but don’t worry I got friends that think it was real and this is all TGs doing

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
We are beyond the “oh well… oh but… oh if…”

Results are the only remedy. Otherwise, see yourself out (management/ coaching). I have no more patience for this garbage. It’s been 8 yrs bloody years of this hot garbage. Heard all the excuses. Enough!
Yes 8 years of that garbage, and before that 3 years of living off that 2011 bust, then a couple of good seasons before almost a decade of bunk.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Typical Green. Makes it sound like all is well yet fails to acknowledge the basic fact that the lowly Chicago Blackhawks playing on the road back to back shutout and beat HIS team

yet another loss of Green’s pathetic nhl coaching record

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Firing the coach is sadly the move that has to be made. If the room is close as I’ve heard some players say, that may be what turns things around. Shock treatment, in a way.

Reactions: Indiana
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad