I predict that Cam Talbot will be the bounce back player of the 2019/2020 season

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I have no doubt that your stats in regards to saving high danger shots is accurate but I would say that his timing of the saves was pretty terrible. He made a lot of saves when the game was over. He didn’t let a first shot in once or twice, it happened a lot. He was really poor to start games.

I will 100% agree with the brutal work load. The Oilers drive their goaltending into the ground even after the season is over. It is ridiculous. They did it with Koskinen at the end of the year as well. They never seemed to have a plan for their goaltending. For this reason alone, I could see him bounce back.
Just so actual numbers, rather than hyperbole are out there. Talbot allowed a goal on the first shot he faced 5 times as an Oiler in 2018-19.

2 of those were more than mid-way through the first period, so while they are goals on the first shot, it's simply not as crippling as if it were in the first minute.

The 3 in the first minutes were Game #1 of the season and 2 of his last games as an Oiler, which I believe adds to the hyperbole.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Just so actual numbers, rather than hyperbole are out there. Talbot allowed a goal on the first shot he faced 5 times as an Oiler in 2018-19.

2 of those were more than mid-way through the first period, so while they are goals on the first shot, it's simply not as crippling as if it were in the first minute.

The 3 in the first minutes were Game #1 of the season and 2 of his last games as an Oiler, which I believe adds to the hyperbole.

I wouldn't really say it's hyperbole. Take a look at the season prior too.

Pretty sure he's close to allowing a goal on the first shot in 40% of his losses over the past two seasons.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

It happened 14 times over his final 92 starts as an Oiler, and once in 3 starts with the Flyers.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I think this guy has a very good chance in getting his game back and I expect to see him steal the starting job from Dave Riddick by Christmas of this year. Talbot is absolutely a clear upgrade over Smith and he could turn out to be a steal if he gets back to his old form.
Don't hold your breath waiting for everything you've predicted to happen... happen. It won't. The best the Flames can hope for, with regards to Talbot, is that he's a competent backup goalie that won't cost us too many games this season.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Talbot is a career .915 and hasn’t even been average for 2 seasons. Good luck with that. I never understood what the oilers saw in him to begin with, but it seems clear he’s a great backup/below average starter at this point.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Rittich. I just spent a few minutes googling this name wondering who the hell you're referring to.
v1.bTsxMTE3MDc2NjtqOzE4MjE5OzEyMDA7ODAwOzEyMDA

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
I'd be happy if he isn't complete arse for the 25 or 30 games he'll play.

Going to be fun to see which of the Flames/Oilers cast offs turn it around.. though not expecting much for any of them.

RemTheWiz

Jul 27, 2019
rebound back to mediocrity? He wasn’t really good to being with and it will remain that way. #bringbackramo

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
To be fair, both were very good players before they arrived in Edmonton and both of them were very good in 2016-2017. I’d argue that the Oilers don’t make the playoffs without those 2.
Yet here I thought they just didn't get outscored to the tune we are used to seeing. Thats without 97 on the ice.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
I think alot of goalies are going to bounce back this season. It's probally taken them some time to get use to the new goalie equipment.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yet here I thought they just didn't get outscored to the tune we are used to seeing. Thats without 97 on the ice.

Hm? Not sure what you mean by this. Here is Lucic's entire tenure with Edmonton:

Oilers with Lucic, without McDavid: 49.79% CF, 48.36% xGF, 45.33% GF
Oilers without Lucic or McDavid: 47.76% CF, 47.41% xGF, 42.89% GF

Lucic wasn't good in Edmonton, but it does seem like he made the 3rd and 4th lines better when he played with them.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
rebound back to mediocrity? He wasn’t really good to being with and it will remain that way. #bringbackramo
His first four seasons were pretty good. The last two have been a real mess though.

2014-17: 186 games, .922 SV%, 2.32 GAA
2017-19: 102 games, .902 SV%, 3.15 GAA

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Hm? Not sure what you mean by this. Here is Lucic's entire tenure with Edmonton:

Oilers with Lucic, without McDavid: 49.79% CF, 48.36% xGF, 45.33% GF
Oilers without Lucic or McDavid: 47.76% CF, 47.41% xGF, 42.89% GF

Lucic wasn't good in Edmonton, but it does seem like he made the 3rd and 4th lines better when he played with them.
I mean it still was a team that was grasping at the straws not get burried with mcjesus there.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Don't hold your breath waiting for everything you've predicted to happen... happen. It won't. The best the Flames can hope for, with regards to Talbot, is that he's a competent backup goalie that won't cost us too many games this season.
Talbot is sure making me eat my words.
After 17 starts and 20 games played he has a 2.57 GAA and a .924 Sv% and he had a 44 save shutout last night.
Talbot is definitely a strong contender for bounce back player of the year and a serious upgrade over Mike Smith.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Talbot is sure making me eat my words.
After 17 starts and 20 games played he has a 2.57 GAA and a .924 Sv% and he had a 44 save shutout last night.
Talbot is definitely a strong contender for bounce back player of the year and a serious upgrade over Mike Smith.

If there was such an award (is there?) - it'd probably still go to Nylander.

Bouncing back in a big way after his self-inflicted disaster of a season last year.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Thing to note is that he's been much better than his record. He was quite good in November when the rest of the team couldn't score a goal to save their lives.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad