I predict that Cam Talbot will be the bounce back player of the 2019/2020 season

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I think this guy has a very good chance in getting his game back and I expect to see him steal the starting job from Dave Riddick by Christmas of this year. Talbot is absolutely a clear upgrade over Smith and he could turn out to be a steal if he gets back to his old form.

Reactions: flamesforcup

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think he will rebound some, but not enough to be bounce back player of the year, or to overtake Rittich. I am cautiously optimistic, yet still apprehensive about his signing. However, I am looking forward to his mask, I really hope he uses a firehouse theme.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Good luck with that..
I don't think I've ever seen a goalie letting in so many bad goals on the first shot of a game, it was comical at times. I wish him well except for the games against the Oilers, though.

Ducksauce

Oct 30, 2010
It's crazy that the Flames ended up with 2 of the Oiler's worst curses.
Same situation in Edmonton though.

Neal was the Flames worst forward by pretty much every metric and Smith was an enigma that cost the team plenty of points in the first half. Despite rebounding near the end of the season and in the playoffs he still didn't finish with a save percentage above 900.

Reactions: flamesforcup

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The Calgary defense is better than what he had in Edmonton so that's a good thing. His 1 year contract should give him motivation to perform well too.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
It's crazy that the Flames ended up with 2 of the Oiler's worst curses.
The Schultz or should I say the Jultz curse helped the Penguins win back to back Stanley Cups. I remember Eberle being lambasted by Oiler fans for his horrible playoff play and yet the irony is that his playoff performance was the very reason why he received his new shiny $27 million dollar contract this season.

I will say though that personally, I'd much rather have Smith than Talbot. But I'd also rather have Lucic than Neal. So it's a bit bittersweet for me.

Reactions: 63 others

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Oilers fan here, I think he could bounce back during the regular season for sure. It’s the pressure that he can’t handle though so there won’t be the Smith like playoff performance from him.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
The curse of:

Dubnyk
Hall
Schultz
Cogliano

Edmonton has suffered from 'cursed' players who ended up being... really good away from that franchise.

And there's 100's that either never played in the NHL after or stayed the same.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Playing in front of that shithole of Edmonton can really drain your confidence. I won't hold my breath on him being his vezina self, but Calgary has more than 2 good players and some good defensemen.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Man, Talbots 2016/2017 season got slept on so hard by HF. Dude legitimately was the 2nd best goalie in the league behind Bobrovsky. He made a truely bad D core look somewhat competent. Its a shame HF only looks at raw sv %, because his underlying numbers were out of this world

I will agree Talbot has a great chance to rebound. He played 70+ games in 16/17, then was rode hard in the years after. Basically suffering shell shock from facing one of the most difficult workloads in the NHL

Swapping Talbot for Smith essentially is going to end up pretty bad for the Oilers

Reactions: Boomstick

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
This will be another Smith situation where a good Calgary team insulates an otherwise mediocre goalie.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
This will be another Smith situation where a good Calgary team insulates an otherwise mediocre goalie.

Agreed. He'll have a decent year but this will be a big part of it.

Rittich will still be the starter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad