I May Be In The Minority . . . But I Believe That Kaapo Kakko Could Be Selected 1st Overall in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd take Cozens over everybody else in the draft. He has so many tools that most of the players in this draft don't. Like he's a terrific player to build around, Dach is a good alternative option. But Dylan Cozens is very underrated.

But I just hope Cozens ends up on a team that could really use a guy to build around. He is my darkhorse for rookie of the year.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
And we are live! This is my Kaapo Kakko package representing his 2018-19 Liiga season.

Enjoy! All of the plays shown here are from his 2018-19 Liiga season with TPS Turku. All of his goals and assists, as well as numerous other plays are on full display here. Over 60 plays are shown.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
I'm not so sure about that. Kakko is not very fast at all. I think that's a bit of a weakness of his that no one seems to address for some reason. Don't get me wrong, he's definitely an amazing player, but to become a star player in the NHL that's something he needs to improve on.
We’ll agree to disagree on that one.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
I'm not so sure about that. Kakko is not very fast at all. I think that's a bit of a weakness of his that no one seems to address for some reason. Don't get me wrong, he's definitely an amazing player, but to become a star player in the NHL that's something he needs to improve on.
I agree. Hughes is a sublime skater, and will be in the very top echelon of skaters in the league as soon as he gets there. Kakko is a decent skater that generally has enough speed to get to where he's going when he needs to. There's a very wide gap in talent there. However, it's very easy to project Kaako at the NHL level because he plays such a pro style game. He's a very safe bet to be a great player because of his puck protection, strength and shot. Where a team might prefer Hughes would be because he fits the new NHL style to a tee; skating and individual puck skills.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
And we are live! This is my Kaapo Kakko package representing his 2018-19 Liiga season.

Enjoy! All of the plays shown here are from his 2018-19 Liiga season with TPS Turku. All of his goals and assists, as well as numerous other plays are on full display here. Over 60 plays are shown.

12.40-13.00 music from 80’s adult movie scene?

Great video and he has sick hands in tight!

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
I agree. Hughes is a sublime skater, and will be in the very top echelon of skaters in the league as soon as he gets there. Kakko is a decent skater that generally has enough speed to get to where he's going when he needs to. There's a very wide gap in talent there. However, it's very easy to project Kaako at the NHL level because he plays such a pro style game. He's a very safe bet to be a great player because of his puck protection, strength and shot. Where a team might prefer Hughes would be because he fits the new NHL style to a tee; skating and individual puck skills.
Kakko is though (in my opinion) way more agile in tight spaces amd stronger, which is why I think he will be better suited for the NHL. Mikko Rantanen is a great example, and I think Kakko is way more talented than Mikko.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Kakko is though (in my opinion) way more agile in tight spaces amd stronger, which is why I think he will be better suited for the NHL. Mikko Rantanen is a great example, and I think Kakko is way more talented than Mikko.
I agree. Anyone who says Kakko doesn't have good enough straight line speed/acceleration clearly hasn't watched him enough this season.

Yeah, he still isn't elite fast but for a 6'2 guy his acceleration is very impressive.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
I agree. Anyone who says Kakko doesn't have good enough straight line speed/acceleration clearly hasn't watched him enough this season.

Yeah, he still isn't elite fast but for a 6'2 guy his acceleration is very impressive.

Once he gets some muscle to those legs his skating will be great in straight lines (Barkov and Rantanen are great examples)

Reactions: LAINEC

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017

Tremendous work. Thanks for sharing!

I don't see why he couldn't be a center, do you know if he's played at that position this year?

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki

Disagree. I think his speed is underestimated very much. But time will tell.

jaa

Oct 24, 2013
I'd say Kakko's skating is definitely a strenght of his than weakness. Especially when cycling the puck near corners, there are not many players who can keep up with the strong stride and agile turns of Kakko. Combine that with his top notch hands, IQ and a great use of his size, that really is a nightmare to defend against.

Ryan Pat80

Mar 16, 2019
Colorado Springs
Is it just me, or does anyone else see some Peter Forsberg in this kid? He plays the body well while maintaining control of the puck, his playmaking ability is unreal, he can stickhandle in a phone booth and skates hard end to end. Peter the Great 2.0 to the Avs would be a dream come true. Honestly wouldn't be disappointed with Hughes either, must be my sentimental heart lol.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's pretty funny indeed, from my samples Kakko is at least as fast as Matthews was pre-draft. Agility looks better. Matthews was considered a great skater, but Kakko somehow is a slow skater.

From what I've seen Hughes is much more about circling around the perimeter at a safe distance while Kakko's much more about maneuvering in tight spaces with tight turns.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Is it just me, or does anyone else see some Peter Forsberg in this kid? He plays the body well while maintaining control of the puck, his playmaking ability is unreal, he can stickhandle in a phone booth and skates hard end to end. Peter the Great 2.0 to the Avs would be a dream come true. Honestly wouldn't be disappointed with Hughes either, must be my sentimental heart lol.
I'd take the Aho route with him. Season or two at wing, then put him at center. He could be unreal 2C there.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

Cheers! Really enjoyed re-living all of this. It's going to make a crazy highlight video that covers his entire season, national games included (like it isn't long enough already, ha). So much hockey still ahead!

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Thanks, kelsier. I'm glad you enjoyed it. He has accomplished so much this year.

Kaapo Kakko should be the first-overall pick in 2019. He is the best-available player in the draft class. Whichever team drafts him will be adding a star to their organization.

Last edited:

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I'm hoping through some strange departure from the norm, that the Rangers find themselves in a position to pick him. I'm not sold on the new idea that 5'10 165lb players are all going to make it. When that pendulum swings back the other way, I think it's going to be ugly. I like this player a lot.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.

Oh no, soundtrack.

Could you do a version with just the commentating? Then I'd watch it. :thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad