Proposal: I just became GM!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
can't move Simmonds. he's a top 5 power forward on an amazing contract. it would be sheer lunacy to move him for an unproven prospect or picks. unless we're getting back a top pairing D, he needs to stay.

we can't have a D in 2 years full of kids either. we must have at least 2 solid veterans in there to shelter them a little. MacDonald sucks. i'd try to keep maybe Coburn and Schenn to be those vets. or find someone else via UFA.

I used to think keeping Coburn was a good idea to try and shelter the kids.

But he is going to want 6 million of more...and will declining further thru the contract.

We should move him for a good return before it is too late.

AFTeRMaTH*

I love Simmonds to death but lets say we plan on rebuilding THEN these are some deals I would do:

MON
Scherbak + 2015 1st + de la Rose for Simmonds + Read

NSH
Fiala + 2015 2nd for Simmonds

TB
Palat for Simmonds (We need LW)

STL
If they are serious about winning this year
Barbashev and Fabbri for Simmonds and like a 4th.

Would never do but if PITT wasn't in same state and rivals

Pouliot + Kapanen for Simmonds

DAL
Nichushkin for Simmonds

WAS
Vrana + for Simmonds

CBJ
Milano + Dano for Simmonds

OBVIOUSLY this is all for fun. And this took me 3 minutes just thinking off the top of my head. I dont want to move Simmonds BUT if we were to rebuild these are the kinds of deals I would be interested in doing. Obviously salary would have to come back probably in most of these too, I would only take on expiring contracts.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I love Simmonds to death but lets say we plan on rebuilding THEN these are some deals I would do:

MON
Scherbak + 2015 1st + de la Rose for Simmonds + Read

NSH
Fiala + 2015 2nd for Simmonds

TB
Palat for Simmonds (We need LW)

STL
If they are serious about winning this year
Barbashev and Fabbri for Simmonds and like a 4th.

Would never do but if PITT wasn't in same state and rivals

Pouliot + Kapanen for Simmonds

DAL
Nichushkin for Simmonds

WAS
Vrana + for Simmonds

CBJ
Milano + Dano for Simmonds

OBVIOUSLY this is all for fun. And this took me 3 minutes just thinking off the top of my head. I dont want to move Simmonds BUT if we were to rebuild these are the kinds of deals I would be interested in doing. Obviously salary would have to come back probably in most of these too, I would only take on expiring contracts.

While the value is there for the Pitt deal....I could never do that deal and see him on a Pens jersey for the next 5 years. I wouldn't move him in our division for sure.

With his age, contract and term, he is type of guy that would create a bidding war IMO.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Why would they trade simmonds even if they were prepared for a multi-year rebuild?

If we are going to be bad for 2-3 years..then not good until 3-5 years from now...then why not move him IF the value makes sense?

Adding 2-3 good prospects for him now makes us worse today...which was the goal...and then means that those prospects are aged 22-24 when the kids in D are 23-26.

They all hit their prime around the same time.

But again, I have no issue with keeping Simmonds if the deal wasn't right. FOR ME, getting 2 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder is a good return for him...especially if we are rebuilding. And again, I have always said I would rather a Josi like a Dman as the return instead.

Lately especially, I notice he is hardly mentioned in the GDT.....good or bad. He certainly has slowed down. He is due to go on a point run soon.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
If we are going to be bad for 2-3 years..then not good until 3-5 years from now...then why not move him IF the value makes sense?

Adding 2-3 good prospects for him now makes us worse today...which was the goal...and then means that those prospects are aged 22-24 when the kids in D are 23-26.

They all hit their prime around the same time.

But again, I have no issue with keeping Simmonds if the deal wasn't right. FOR ME, getting 2 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder is a good return for him...especially if we are rebuilding. And again, I have always said I would rather a Josi like a Dman as the return instead.

Lately especially, I notice he is hardly mentioned in the GDT.....good or bad. He certainly has slowed down. He is due to go on a point run soon.

They aren't going to be bad for 2-3 years. They aren't going to win, maybe, but not bad. They've had just about everything go wrong this year (other than Giroux and Voracek) and they are still a three game win streak from mediocre.

If they are going to out-right suck, this is a nice year to do it, but they won't be bottom five again next year, much less the year after.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
They aren't going to be bad for 2-3 years. They aren't going to win, maybe, but not bad. They've had just about everything go wrong this year (other than Giroux and Voracek) and they are still a three game win streak from mediocre.

If they are going to out-right suck, this is a nice year to do it, but they won't be bottom five again next year, much less the year after.

It could be 2 years if we can't unload the anchors on F and D.

And Hextall just seems like he will ride things out.

I see the Habs making moves of trash for trash and get less years back. I just want us to be doing the same....at least with Umberger. Vinny holds the cards.

Just think, our newly signed 5 million dollar, 6 year dman just got benched.

We have so much suck surrounding our team.

AFTeRMaTH*

This is all for fun people. You need to relax.

And by the way I'm pretty sure Scherbak will be better than Simmonds in 3 years. Then you get a 1st in the 2015 draft and De La Rose who is very talented.

AFTeRMaTH*

We aren't winning NOTHING until we get a top dman. If we are going to compete for a cup in 3-4 years one of our dmen have to turn out to be a #1. Moving Simmonds for a package like Scherbak + 2015 1st + De La Rose would be much better for this team in 3-4 years because that pick and Scherbak could both be better than Simmonds then. And we get 3 pieces that will add to our scoring depth. It would be very hard to do but if we aren't competing for a cup in the next few years then I would do it. This all depends on how our dmen prospects develop.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They're not trading Simmonds & they're certianly not trading him for prospects. The moment that happens you can pretty much kiss Voracek goodbye & you're going to have an angry franchise player on your hand with Giroux.

We're not becoming Bufflao nor should we, some of you are really getting carried away with the way things are now.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
This is all for fun people. You need to relax.

And by the way I'm pretty sure Scherbak will be better than Simmonds in 3 years. Then you get a 1st in the 2015 draft and De La Rose who is very talented.

We aren't winning NOTHING until we get a top dman. If we are going to compete for a cup in 3-4 years one of our dmen have to turn out to be a #1. Moving Simmonds for a package like Scherbak + 2015 1st + De La Rose would be much better for this team in 3-4 years because that pick and Scherbak could both be better than Simmonds then. And we get 3 pieces that will add to our scoring depth. It would be very hard to do but if we aren't competing for a cup in the next few years then I would do it. This all depends on how our dmen prospects develop.

1. You'd never get all three for Simmonds. You'd probably be able to get DLR + B prospect + 2nd, maybe a conditional 2016 1st. If they give up Scherbak, there's almost certainly no 1st.

2. I don't know why you are so certain Scherbak will be a better NHL player than Simmonds in general, much less in 3 years.

3. You don't give up guys like Simmonds, with his contract, for scoring depth...

AFTeRMaTH*

1. You'd never get all three for Simmonds. You'd probably be able to get DLR + B prospect + 2nd, maybe a conditional 2016 1st. If they give up Scherbak, there's almost certainly no 1st.

2. I don't know why you are so certain Scherbak will be a better NHL player than Simmonds in general, much less in 3 years.

3. You don't give up guys like Simmonds, with his contract, for scoring depth...

You do if you are rebuilding which is the point of this thread. I mean some of us are just trying to have a little fun because this team isn't giving us anything to be excited about. All I'm saying is IF WE WANTED TO REBUILD then I would do this trade. And why DONT you think Scherbak will be as good as Simmonds? Simmonds isn't a very good 5on5 player.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
You do if you are rebuilding which is the point of this thread. I mean some of us are just trying to have a little fun because this team isn't giving us anything to be excited about. All I'm saying is IF WE WANTED TO REBUILD then I would do this trade. And why DONT you think Scherbak will be as good as Simmonds? Simmonds isn't a very good 5on5 player.

I wish this ****ing myth would die already...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad