Proposal: I just became GM!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That first deal has way too much going on for any gm to contemplate making it.

I'm guessing I'm in the minority that doesn't want to trade Coburn and read to just get Yak and a 2nd rounder. I think yak is overrated because of where he was drafted. Coburn for yak is a deal I could work with but Edmonton fans dint want to trade any players of value to help right the ship. We see it all the time with Dan bases here, we all greatly over value our players. Also Edmonton fans want their coach fired again, mact and the players are responsible. They have gone through enough coaches the last few years now.

No way on the second deal. Not trading Simmonds for prospects and picks. Needs to be a big time defender if I'm moving him

When I said I would trade Simmonds for Josi in the summer, I got run over the coals because everyone said we had the kids coming on D. So I took this approach instead.

Personally...I too would move him for Jost type if I could. But there are few guys out there that have what Simmonds has with age, contract length, and cap hit. Josi was the closest I could find. But with Nashville playing so well, they are not changing anything anytime soon.

Another deal for Coburn that was talked about was with Anaheim for a 1st in 2015 and 1 of Etem/Theodore/Palmieri which I liked as well. I do think that Yak's upside was good still. I keep think of Giroux with a shooter and wonder what he could do especially because he shoots left and plays right...so is set up for 1 timers all day.

Time will tell with Yak.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Thank...it's all for fun anyways. Nothing any of us say, do or think matters or effects the team. I just thought since we are "waiting for the kids", why not make moves that make that future brighter.

I see the point of the Simmonds deal...but I tried to look at years 3-6 from now...when the kids on D are not only playing...but are good. They will play in 1-3 years from now...but should be good in that 3-6 range IMO.

And Sherbak has 1st line potential...plus we add another 1st rounder and prospect. On Paper, Simmonds for 2 1st and a 2nd is pretty good IMO. But I also see why people want to keep him. He is easy to love.

As for Streit...I was looking move into that 3 year window...and his contract is over.

Plus with the deals...ALL the dead weight is gone in 2 years...wil Laich gone in 3 instead of Vinny at 4. Any 2 years from now...is next years deadline...which isn't too far away IF we were to do a mini rebuild.

I just want to have a nice core of F coming and peaking at the same time as our D.

But in reality, as I said, it's all for fun. To those who say it's pointless...so is every other trade proposal, lineup thoughts, who we would draft, etc...it's all pretend. We all think "If I was GM, I would do this......" And when talking to other teams fans, we found some common ground on trades...thought I would share.

Part of me wants to file this away for 2-3 years and remember to look at is to see how bad or good things would have been if these moves were made.

We are of the same mind about trade proposals. I have to laugh when someone gets so incensed about a proposal as though the GMs will act on it if she/he does not show how bad it is. At the same time you obviously put a lot of thought into the moves and they are within the realm of possibility and balance, taking into account each side's need.

I see what you mean about working in the time frame where Streit's contract would be up. And as much as we would be pretty optimistic about the Big 4 D prospects all on the Flyers blue line in 2-3 years, it is not the whistling-past-the-graveyard approach we fans have had thrust upon us over the past years about the NHL worthiness of the prospect pool.

AFTeRMaTH*

Simmer is my fave along with Jake who I find both to be untouchable. That being said Scherbak and Lehkonen are two of my boys. Fucale blows though. If we could get De La Rose or Andrighetto instead of Fucale in that package I think I'd have to bite.

Oh it was Lehkonen or Fucale. No bite. I would probably do:

Scherbak + 2015 1st + JDLR though. Scherbak is awesome.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We are of the same mind about trade proposals. I have to laugh when someone gets so incensed about a proposal as though the GMs will act on it if she/he does not show how bad it is. At the same time you obviously put a lot of thought into the moves and they are within the realm of possibility and balance, taking into account each side's need.

I see what you mean about working in the time frame where Streit's contract would be up. And as much as we would be pretty optimistic about the Big 4 D prospects all on the Flyers blue line in 2-3 years, it is not the whistling-past-the-graveyard approach we fans have had thrust upon us over the past years about the NHL worthiness of the prospect pool.

Thanks BP....it's all for fun. It's painful watching right now so might as well thing about a butter future.

Simmer is my fave along with Jake who I find both to be untouchable. That being said Scherbak and Lehkonen are two of my boys. Fucale blows though. If we could get De La Rose or Andrighetto instead of Fucale in that package I think I'd have to bite.

Oh it was Lehkonen or Fucale. No bite. I would probably do:

Scherbak + 2015 1st + JDLR though. Scherbak is awesome.

Habs fans insisted that if Sherbak was involved, the 1st had to be in 2016. And if I remember correctly, JDLR was talked about as well in there. I do think that Sherbak will be good as well..and in 3-4 years be where Simmonds is now. And that is what I was/is trying to do...think only about how to have good players when the kids on D are starting their good play. And IMO, Simmonds will be a 45-50 point guy at that time and Sherbak will be coming off his ELC doing the same.

Some crazy offers on the main board for Giroux and Jake too! Lol.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Keep doin you Tripod. I think it'll be cool to follow how you can transform the team, whether its real or not.

Too many cranky old folks here, haha.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
After today's game I think you should be fired.

Well....someone should be. Fired...or fired upon.

They need to sit Vinny, Umberger and Grossmann in a room together to watch game film. Then put on Old Yeller for them instead. Maybe they will get the hint.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Well....someone should be. Fired...or fired upon.

They need to sit Vinny, Umberger and Grossmann in a room together to watch game film. Then put on Old Yeller for them instead. Maybe they will get the hint.

Just this and only this.

I remember seeing that in grade 4... tears everywhere, just like how I feel when I watch them play...

:help::(

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
After today's game I fully expect Tripod to announce his promotion to President of Hockey Something Something. Happened with Homer.

On a serious note, not bad trades. Like the idea of taking trash on shorter deals to dump trash on longer deals and to bring in a guy like Yakupov who has potential to be a big steal if he's had for cheap.

Don't like trading Simmonds though. Not a good idea. How bad this team is has people forgetting the upside of a lot of players, including that Simmonds is far from useless at ES or that he's our only net front presence or that he's on a terrific contract.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Umberger, 3rd round pick to a team In need of depth forward. We would retain small salary and they would send us their 2nd/3rd.

Trade Grossmann for 4th-5th draft pick

Trade Lecavalier, Matt Read, Luke Schenn, for Mark Stuart, 2nd

Schenn/Giroux/Voracek
Simmonds/Couts/xx
Raffl/Laughton/Leier
Rinaldo/Bellemare/White

Morin-Streit
Ghost-Coburn
Stuart-Alt

Free agent = xx make ur pick

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The Oilers deal is good. Trading Simmonds for that package is silly. If the Flyers were to trade Simmonds, they'd get a better return than that.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think it's clear that the Simmonds deal isn't liked.

If he was moved, what would you expect back? The current return is 2 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder.

Just curious what you WOULD trade him for.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
can't move Simmonds. he's a top 5 power forward on an amazing contract. it would be sheer lunacy to move him for an unproven prospect or picks. unless we're getting back a top pairing D, he needs to stay.

we can't have a D in 2 years full of kids either. we must have at least 2 solid veterans in there to shelter them a little. MacDonald sucks. i'd try to keep maybe Coburn and Schenn to be those vets. or find someone else via UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad