GDT: I heard something about a game?

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
A point on the road against the Bruins is a good thing. The way we allowed them back into the game in the 3rd and OT is not. Failing to pick up the defenseman coming into the zone led to their first goal. Not taking the passing lane away with Lucic on the boards their second. Fisher going for the hit and skating past Marchand the GWG. Another three ES goals allowed ... one of the most glaring issues the team faces right now.

How this team plays Saturday is important. They just faced one of the better home teams (17-4-2 now) in the league and escaped with a point in spite of the inconsistencies of this season. If they play well against the Panthers, there is something to build upon. If this becomes the start of another 5+ game losing streak, it's time for leadership at all levels to take a hit ... both on the ice and behind the bench.

And to think that I get called a pollyanna. :laugh:

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
A point on the road against the Bruins is a good thing. The way we allowed them back into the game in the 3rd and OT is not. Failing to pick up the defenseman coming into the zone led to their first goal. Not taking the passing lane away with Lucic on the boards their second. Fisher going for the hit and skating past Marchand the GWG. Another three ES goals allowed ... one of the most glaring issues the team faces right now.

How this team plays Saturday is important. They just faced one of the better home teams (17-4-2 now) in the league and escaped with a point in spite of the inconsistencies of this season. If they play well against the Panthers, there is something to build upon. If this becomes the start of another 5+ game losing streak, it's time for leadership at all levels to take a hit ... both on the ice and behind the bench.

And to think that I get called a pollyanna. :laugh:

Yet the first goal never happens if Stalberg takes a body on the guy leaving Boston's end. He even remotely slows him down and it's a different play and game. Leaving the trailer was either on him or the other winger but like I said, he takes the body the play never develops and it's us up 1-0 still.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Yet the first goal never happens if Stalberg takes a body on the guy leaving Boston's end. He even remotely slows him down and it's a different play and game. Leaving the trailer was either on him or the other winger but like I said, he takes the body the play never develops and it's us up 1-0 still.

Yes, he missed a hit (it was a miss on an attempt to play the body that Spooner sidesteps) and several domino falls later, the Bruins scored. So did Fisher leading to the GWG. Weber failed to play the body nor take the passing lane on the Iginla goal. Hmmmm ... a trend.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Weber hasn't been involved defensively? You're kidding yourself if you actually believe that
I agree. Again on that pairing Josi was the weak link.... he won't get called out though, because he doesn't make Weber money or have the C on his chest.

Weber one point off the team lead, once again...... A defenseman should be your top point producer, yet year after year Weber leads us and yet some here consider him lackluster, passenger, etc.

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
I commented on Weber's invisibility tonight long before that play. Pray tell, just where was he involved, committed, and worthy of the letter on his chest and $7.8 mil + cap hit in the first 50 -54 minutes?

So let me get this straight, you think that for the first 50-54 minutes, Shea Weber did not make a single play that counts as being "involved, committed, and worthy of the letter on his chest and $7.8 million + cap hit?" Because that's what you seem to be saying.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
I agree. Again on that pairing Josi was the weak link.... he won't get called out though, because he doesn't make Weber money or have the C on his chest.

Weber one point off the team lead, once again...... A defenseman should be your top point producer, yet year after year Weber leads us and yet some here consider him lackluster, passenger, etc.

As I said, when he turns it on he is dominant. WHEN being the key word in that sentence.

Weber gets an assist on our first goal after Josi stops Marchand and passes the puck across to him. He then just clears it up to Fisher in neutral ice. Not making a play, not stopping a rush. But it gets him a point. On the Iginla goal Weber is not playing Lucic. He's too busy looking out towards the blue line to take the passing lane or body after his soft pass takes Cullen straight into Krejci leading to the rush. The Bruins scored 2 on 4 with both Bourque and Stalberg high in the defensive zone to deal with trailers.

Like I said after the 1st ... we needed Weber to play like he did against the Kings and Wings where he neutralized forwards like Bertuzzi and Kopitar. He didn't shift close to that gear until the final 5-6 minutes.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
As I said, when he turns it on he is dominant. WHEN being the key word in that sentence.

Weber gets an assist on our first goal after Josi stops Marchand and passes the puck across to him. He then just clears it up to Fisher in neutral ice. Not making a play, not stopping a rush. But it gets him a point. On the Iginla goal Weber is not playing Lucic. He's too busy looking out towards the blue line to take the passing lane or body after his soft pass takes Cullen straight into Krejci leading to the rush. The Bruins scored 2 on 4 with both Bourque and Stalberg high in the defensive zone to deal with trailers.

Like I said after the 1st ... we needed Weber to play like he did against the Kings and Wings where he neutralized forwards like Bertuzzi and Kopitar. He didn't shift close to that gear until the final 5-6 minutes.

During the Wings game, Weber played in this gear all night long!

This is my complaint about Weber---so much drive and passion and ability--- when he wants to turn it on, and he can turn it on all game, we've seen it. But he doesn't

big $$$, wearing the C.............if we see this gear only turned on for 5 minutes a game, what would you call that player.....

This isn't a Josi vs Weber argument. This is seeing a player with extraordinary talent not using it consistently.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
This was only mentioned once in the thread, but Fisher is our best player by a country mile right now. Yes, the OT goal was on him, but he's been all heart lately and is racking up points at a pretty obscene rate right now. Maz played really well also; he stopped some very, very quality chances. We may have outshot the Bruins, but in terms of quality opportunities it was much closer, if not in favor of the Bruins (for some reason I can't track down the official scoring chances from the game). Happy with a point at TD Garden; tough place to play.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
B's fan here. I'm loving Jones. He's going to be a stud. Sakic ****ed up.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
This was only mentioned once in the thread, but Fisher is our best player by a country mile right now. Yes, the OT goal was on him, but he's been all heart lately and is racking up points at a pretty obscene rate right now. Maz played really well also; he stopped some very, very quality chances. We may have outshot the Bruins, but in terms of quality opportunities it was much closer, if not in favor of the Bruins (for some reason I can't track down the official scoring chances from the game). Happy with a point at TD Garden; tough place to play.

Fisher is very streaky. He'll rack up points like crazy then go cold for weeks. Usually what happens is he'll get injured and then take weeks to get back to where he was. Fish was playing great at the beginning of the season then got injured and it has taken him till now to get back to where he was. I also think the chemistry between him Wilson and Hornqvist has really clicked now. Hopefully Fisher can stay healthy and continue his hot streak. If Fisher and Legwand could ever get hot at the same time this team could be scoring like crazy but it never happens. It's either one or the other and when both are cold we don't score at all.

I think Cullen and Stalberg have been the biggest disappointments to me. They are the 3rd line when we thought they'd be on the 1st. Spaling has outplayed Stalberg.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I never said Weber was always perfect. Some of you have unrealistic expectations from a defenseman. Weber is one of the league's most consistent, especially physically, which is tough for a guy when he plays 28 minutes a game in all situations. But he's going to mess up, all defensemen do. But expecting a guy to come in every night and play balls to the wall every shift of every game is totally unrealistic. Playing like those type minutes period is taxing but then mixing in Weber's physical role and it's almost unbelievable. I don't want to pull the "played the game card" but I think if some of you had laced the skates on defense you'd understand better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad