Rumor: I Heard A Rumor...: Rumor Thread Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Hearing Rumblings of Malkin getting moved this summer if the Pens get eliminated in the first round......

wonder what the price would be....wow........

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Hearing Rumblings of Malkin getting moved this summer if the Pens get eliminated in the first round......

wonder what the price would be....wow........

Source?

But anyways, multiple firsts and some quality young players would be my guess.

EDIT:

They would be dumb to trade off Malkin before Letang though.

As good as Letang can be from the blueline, having a guy like Maata can soften that blow.

Malkin, when healthy, is a top 3(2) player. You don't trade players of Malkin's caliber.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Source?

But anyways, multiple firsts and some quality young players would be my guess.

EDIT:

They would be dumb to trade off Malkin before Letang though.

As good as Letang can be from the blueline, having a guy like Maata can soften that blow.

Malkin, when healthy, is a top 3(2) player. You don't trade players of Malkin's caliber.

Couple people on NHL radio now forget their names. I know Bill Watters has talked about it for sure though.

Essentially, one of the reasons was payroll, how 4 players (Crosby, Malkin, Letang, MAF) tie-up so much of the cap and they haven't reaped the success enough.

One cup, and many early playoff exits.

Also, it's because how Malkin seems to perform better when Crosby is out of the line-up (looked it up myself cause I didnt believe it, but it's actually true...)

Malkin's playoff performance so far is probably dictating the rumors as well, but there is no denying the return they would get would be bountiful.

And also, an insider (may have been puck daddy greg Wyshynski) suggests that some players may be unhappy having to take paycuts just to accommodate the salaries of the few, he actually mentioned this about Chicago as well, which is one of many reasons why this is a cup or bust year for chicago because of the pending roster shake-up.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
It would be Ekblad+Barkov+Huberdeau/Bjugstad

An extremely massive price for the second/third best player in the world. I would not do it.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

An extremely massive price for the second/third best player in the world. I would not do it.

He does have a NMC which may or may not drive the price down a little bit since he can control where he goes. Plus that massive 9.75 million cap hit, how many teams can handle that anyway

Sending this year's first would be a start.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
He does have a NMC which may or may not drive the price down a little bit since he can control where he goes. Plus that massive 9.75 million cap hit, how many teams can handle that anyway

Sending this year's first would be a start.
Another boat anchor contract that only a moron GM would make a deal for. Yes he's talented, but he's been a durability problem for a number of years now and it will only get worse as this contract heads out to 2022. Chicago made the same mistake with Toews and Kane. Idiotic contracts that they are stuck with and will keep them in Cap purgatory for the foreseeable future. They will get some relief as Tallon will probably ship off Guds + our 2016 number one for Sharp, but the Hawks will have many holes to fill as they try to create space to keep pace.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Another boat anchor contract that only a moron GM would make a deal for. Yes he's talented, but he's been a durability problem for a number of years now and it will only get worse as this contract heads out to 2022. Chicago made the same mistake with Toews and Kane. Idiotic contracts that they are stuck with and will keep them in Cap purgatory for the foreseeable future. They will get some relief as Tallon will probably ship off Guds + our 2016 number one for Sharp, but the Hawks will have many holes to fill as they try to create space to keep pace.

Whoa, what?
I highly doubt that.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL

Massive overpayment. I don't see much more than Trocheck and a 2nd/3rd.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Massive overpayment. I don't see much more than Trocheck and a 2nd/3rd.
Yeah you all might be right on what goes back for Sharp, as Tallon is generally a pretty slick trader. My thoughts on Guds are the fact that the Hawks are in desperate need of solid lower pair defensive help more so than finding a replacement for Sharp. I do like a 2nd to go along with him rather than the 2016 1st.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Yeah you all might be right on what goes back for Sharp, as Tallon is generally a pretty slick trader. My thoughts on Guds are the fact that the Hawks are in desperate need of solid lower pair defensive help more so than finding a replacement for Sharp. I do like a 2nd to go along with him rather than the 2016 1st.

It'd be Petrovic in that case. I don't see Tallon trading Gudbranson at all, considering all the comments he's made about him in the past.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
It'd be Petrovic in that case. I don't see Tallon trading Gudbranson at all, considering all the comments he's made about him in the past.
I think there is going to be competition for Sharp and you just don't know what other teams may offer to get him. Not to say Petro wouldn't be a good catch for them, but they probably could look to move Seabrook also as he is a UFA after next season and will likely command close to $7M.

KittysGotClaws

We See Red
Dec 17, 2008
N of BB&T
Sharp is not the guy you start mortgaging the future for. If you can get him for a decent price, absolutely. But if you're giving up Gudbranson and first(s), you better be talking a Kessel type.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

No way. No chance that's the return. He has a nmc, right? Plus he has a massive cap hit. That lowers his value.

It would probably be something like Bjugstad, Matheson, Trocheck and a pick. It makes getting a guy like Kessel seem like a steal.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

You say it would be idiotic to trade for arguably the second best player in the world, but you want to give up Guds and a 1st for Sharp! :help:

No way. No chance that's the return. He has a nmc, right? Plus he has a massive cap hit. That lowers his value.

It would probably be something like Bjugstad, Matheson, Trocheck and a pick. It makes getting a guy like Kessel seem like a steal.

Malkin >>> Kessel

So well worth paying more to get Malkin imo.

Last edited:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Malkin >>> Kessel

So well worth paying more to get Malkin imo.

I don't disagree Malkin is better than Kessel but not by enough to justify the difference in cost and ridiculous cap hit, especially considering what we need.

Pitt will want young roster players back. Toronto could take picks and prospects, imo.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Bob Mackenzie has also now talked about the possibility of moving Malkin.

Did anyone listen to the Oilers presser?

People kept asking him about the Seguin trade and asked him how there are many young good pieces here if we he was going to trade any of them, he how trades during the salary cap era are necessary and you have to be ready to make trades if the scenario brings itself.

Then he said doesnt mean he will trade of any of the pieces here but....and stopped hahah

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I think there is going to be competition for Sharp and you just don't know what other teams may offer to get him.

Yeah there isn't a lot of competition for him. It's a decent to good eastern conference team that need a top 6 wing. Only teams that fit that description right now are Florida and Columbus. Maybe Islanders and Habs if they shift salary. But as is, that's it.

Sharp is not the guy you start mortgaging the future for. If you can get him for a decent price, absolutely. But if you're giving up Gudbranson and first(s), you better be talking a Kessel type.

Trocheck and a 2nd or a future first. Trocheck has no future here and a future pick will be low.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Yeah there isn't a lot of competition for him. It's a decent to good eastern conference team that need a top 6 wing. Only teams that fit that description right now are Florida and Columbus. Maybe Islanders and Habs if they shift salary. But as is, that's it.

Trocheck and a 2nd or a future first. Trocheck has no future here and a future pick will be low.

I wouldn't go that far. Not sure I want to trade Tro, he is going to be a very good NHL player IMO and you just don't trade a guy with that upside who is only 21 yo and good contract.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I wouldn't go that far. Not sure I want to trade Tro, he is going to be a very good NHL player IMO and you just don't trade a guy with that upside who is only 21 yo and good contract.

I agree but he needs work defensively, hasn't proven himself at wing and has only looked good as a top 6 c, where there is no room. He's starting in the minors next season where he has nothing to prove. A trade would help both parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad