Rumor: I Heard A Rumor...: Rumor Thread Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
Seems like everyone is high on trading for Oduya, put me in the do not want camp. Turnover machine and constantly makes mistakes in his own zone.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I never called Oduya big or slow, I said our team had too many of them. Oduya isn't the biggest or slowest guy in the league, but he's not an agile defenseman. He's a stay at home, rely on positioning type of d-man.

Ekblad needs to improve skating, Mitchel is big and slow, and you're kidding if you don't think Guds is big AND slow. His skating has improved tenfold since his rookie season, but he's still pretty slow compared to most NHL forwards. When 3 of your 6 d-men are below average in terms of speed, I'd say half the players we put back there constitutes saying we have "too many slow guys".

The East plays a faster game than the West, and we need to keep up. I'd welcome Oduya, but he's not what we need. We need one more offensively gifted d-man. We basically have one, MAYBE two d-men who can contribute offensively (not fair to expect much from Ekblad this year). That's not going to cut it. 15 goals from our blue line is NOT going to cut it next season.
Gudbranson is not slow. His skating is not the best, but he's not slow. And the West is a faster conference than the East.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
I never called Oduya big or slow, I said our team had too many of them. Oduya isn't the biggest or slowest guy in the league, but he's not an agile defenseman. He's a stay at home, rely on positioning type of d-man.

he's a defensive defensman....but his skating is fine. if you weren't calling him big and/or slow, what was the point of that comment?

Ekblad needs to improve skating, Mitchel is big and slow, and you're kidding if you don't think Guds is big AND slow. His skating has improved tenfold since his rookie season, but he's still pretty slow compared to most NHL forwards. When 3 of your 6 d-men are below average in terms of speed, I'd say half the players we put back there constitutes saying we have "too many slow guys".

It's pretty well known that I'm Gudbranson's biggest critique on this board. But he's not a slow skater. If you think he's "slow" then you haven't been watching our games very much. He's a good skater for someone his size.

maybe you meant slow in the head? because he's definitely that in spades.

The East plays a faster game than the West, and we need to keep up. I'd welcome Oduya, but he's not what we need. We need one more offensively gifted d-man. We basically have one, MAYBE two d-men who can contribute offensively (not fair to expect much from Ekblad this year). That's not going to cut it. 15 goals from our blue line is NOT going to cut it next season.

well, we only have one defensively responsible defensman in Mitchell, so Oduya would make it two.

I'm not worried about offense from the blue-line. we have plenty of skill with Campbell, Kulikov and Ekblad. what we don't have are responsible D, aside from Mitchell. Kulikov is very good at times, but very erratic overall. no consistency. Gudbranson is terrible defensively, Campbell isn't very good either. Unfair to expect Ekblad to be anything as an 18 year old, and Olsen is a tweener/7th D type.

in other words, we need another good d-man. offensive or defensive...beggars can't be choosers and we're definitely beggars.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Do you guys think that Tallon is going to do everything he can to pull a top line scorer to Florida?

(barring it doesn't take barkov/bjugstad)

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Do you guys think that Tallon is going to do everything he can to pull a top line scorer to Florida?

(barring it doesn't take barkov/bjugstad)

I think Barkov, Bjugstad, Huberdeau, Ekblad, Gudbranson, and maybe Grimaldi/2015 1st are untouchable. And unfortunately, it'll probably take one of them to get something significant back.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
My Kitty Senses Are Tingling: I Heard a Rumour

Not sure where the rumour(sorry I'm Canadian) thread is but I love speculating about possible trades and since I came across this tid bit it kinda made me happy thinking about trading Campbell.

Elliotte Friedman:

The Wings would be interested in Brian Campbell if the Panthers decide to move him. He’s not a right-handed defenseman like they are looking for, but he is an excellent puck-moving Dman. Campbell does have some no-trade protection.

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2014/10/15/25394/

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
1234525508_ben_stiller_-_do_it.gif

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
And screw up our D even more? We already need a solid replacement for Olsen.

Maybe after the season if it looks like Racine/Matheson/Weeger/Petro might be ready to make the jump.

KittysGotClaws

We See Red
Dec 17, 2008
N of BB&T
I'm in two minds about this. Up until the other day, I was on board with one more ****** season, especially with the amazing draft coming up. But, with the development of the last couple of days, the lack of crowds and the roasting we're taking from everyone, I'm not sure I even care about another high pick. This team needs to start winning, and it needs to start winning tomorrow. Campbell is still one of our best players, and if we get competitive, he'll be back to leading the D, IMO.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Eh only for supreme tank at the deadline. Our D this year and next would be brutal.. No, beyond brutal.

If I was thinking it, it should be Jurco/ Pulk.. or both.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
I'm in two minds about this. Up until the other day, I was on board with one more ****** season, especially with the amazing draft coming up. But, with the development of the last couple of days, the lack of crowds and the roasting we're taking from everyone, I'm not sure I even care about another high pick. This team needs to start winning, and it needs to start winning tomorrow. Campbell is still one of our best players, and if we get competitive, he'll be back to leading the D, IMO.

Well, it seems like the owners/grand poobahs of the team are not surprised by the attendance. My concern (and others') about the team moving stem from the lack of interest being generated by the organization and the general apathy that seems to be present with regards to making the arena look good for games. My thinking is that if they are planning to move the team they're going to move the team regardless of how the attendance goes this year and they are just biding their time until the move happens. So, given that, I say tank for McEichel and hope they aren't planning to move. One more bad year has never really fazed me and if they aren't planning to move, drafting one of those players in South Florida would be extraordinary.

Let the media and Canada continue to freak out about attendance.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
As lackluster as his play has been, our defense has been so awful we really can't afford to lose him unfortunately.

Perhaps later in the season, but I would rather this team try and acquire players to make us better instead of starting another semi-rebuild.

ugh....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad