I have to vent a bit and ask a question?

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
Because he is?

He is like a better Jay McClement at this point, which is not a bad thing. Not long ago when Jay was on the team he was my favorite Blues player, so........

I thought I was the only one....

Man. I really wish we had Cracknell still instead of Lindstrom. That guy was a playoff competitor.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Once Berglund actually starts engaging physically and starts winning battles...... i'll approve of him...... oh and if he ever actually gets a shot off with that long freakin release he has...... until then....I want an upgrade/replacement if it can be done at the deadline

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Once Berglund actually starts engaging physically and starts winning battles...... i'll approve of him...... oh and if he ever actually gets a shot off with that long freakin release he has...... until then....I want an upgrade/replacement if it can be done at the deadline

he does this literally every game. It's one of the things he does well.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

Minus the fighting, Berglund actually plays a "tougher" overall game than Stewart did. Berglund is very good along the wall and in board battles, where Stewart wouldn't go to the hard areas. Just because a guy doesn't throw monster hits or fight does not make him soft.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Minus the fighting, Berglund actually plays a "tougher" overall game than Stewart did. Berglund is very good along the wall and in board battles, where Stewart wouldn't go to the hard areas. Just because a guy doesn't throw monster hits or fight does not make him soft.

people get the vision of 2010 Lucic or 2004 Iginla in their head as to what "toughness" means from a non-grinder and think if you aren't laying people out then you are some sort of pushover. People who pay attention know that Berglund is very good down low and engages in board battles every time. His playmaking ability / offensive creativity ...I agree it's been lacking the last few years. But some of this criticism is majorly unjustified.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I agree with all of this. Which is also why I've become more of a lurker instead of a frequent poster on here anymore as well.

I stopped posting so much for the same reason, just reversed. It's perfectly fine too not have faith in this team, their play doesn't inspire much of it, to people who are not blind optimists. The seasons almost over and they still haven't gelled as a team, or played very few games of good hockey. Can't say that around here though, you catch to much hell.

So I just quit posting regularly.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I stopped posting so much for the same reason, just reversed. It's perfectly fine too not have faith in this team, their play doesn't inspire much of it, to people who are not blind optimists. The seasons almost over and they still haven't gelled as a team, or played very few games of good hockey. Can't say that around here though, you catch to much hell.

So I just quit posting regularly.
I just think it comes down to the fact that people can't handle others that have differing opinions, which is sad. I know I can be guilty of this and have some strong opinions but at the end of the day I forget whatever the issue was and move on because it's an enjoyable place to post for the most part, IMO. Most of the posters here are good and know what's going on. But I don't think others disagreeing with them should cause anyone to want to stop posting.

I don't really agree with you that the Blues have played "very few games of good hockey" given that they have 82 points. I don't think that's true, and don't think it's just a coincidence or luck.

At the same time, you and others definitely have the right to share your opinion even if it's negative because you guys make some logical points too. Being positive all the time is unrealistic and useless, especially with a franchise like the Blues. Because clearly this team isn't some amazing group that can't be criticized.

Both extreme positive and negative views are exactly that - extreme. It seems the majority fall somewhere in the middle though. The Blues are a good team and fans overreact over losses, but that's just sports. Every fanbase to ever exist is negative after losses. If someone wants to quit posting on the forum just because of that, then maybe the internet, as well as sports in general, isn't the thing for them.

Obviously most of this isn't being directed at you, just making a general point.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
So if the Blues go 4 straight years not winning a game past the first round, you really wouldn't make any significant changes to the club? Really? Okay then. Your patience must be off the charts for this franchise.

I think the Penguins did realize they needed to change something after not doing anything for a few years, considering they fired their GM and coach, and traded James Neal. And if they continue to not do anything I think we may continue to see more turnover there in Pittsburgh.

However, they also have maybe the two best players in the NHL, so you really can't compare their situation all that well to ours. Trading Crosby and Malkin isn't very logical. The Blues wouldn't be moving anyone near that caliber.

I'm not saying make no changes. And it's not like we haven't made any changes yet. We have three new starting centers compared to last year. That's a pretty big difference. There's a very real chance that Hitch is going to retire and we'd have a new coach. Again, a big change.

But to make this thread calling for wholesale changes simply because of a rough patch is ludicrous. Wait until we actually lose in the first round. This is the deepest forward group we've had going into the playoffs, and given that our problem in the playoffs has been scoring, that's exactly what we wanted. We have a game changer offensively in Tarasenko, and numerous other players who can score consistently. We're tied for fourth in team scoring. Let's give this lineup a chance before we call them busts and say trade everyone

Captain America*

Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
Once Berglund actually starts engaging physically and starts winning battles

Berglund engages physically every game?

"Really?"

Captain America*

What do you mean by engage? Picking a fight? No. But making hits and muscling the puck along the boards? Yes.

No, there are some games when Berglund is invisible. No checks and no mucking along the boards.

So no, Berglund does not engage physically every game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad