I have to vent a bit and ask a question?

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
With this team in a swoon or freefall or whatever you want to call this and the trade deadline a week away I hope they stand pat and do nothing. I want the pressure put squarely on this underachieving core and if they fall flat and lose in the first round again ( I could care less who they play) it looks like the Hawks if they fail to win at least two rounds and make the conference finals they need to move out significant pieces of this core before camp next fall.

My question is two fold, what do you want them to do at the deadline and how long of a playoff run would make you content with keeping the core basically the same or totally the same before camp next fall?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
- I want a 3rd-line winger to be added to replace Berglund. Yeah he doesn't hurt the team but he's just stale and there's no point in making a big shakeup right now, but a minor one like that would be fine. Stastny and Jaskin are good together but I want someone else on their wing, at least someone with some energy or a little bit of a scoring touch or SOMETHING to provide other than a decent defensive game. Berglund's offensive game is just so bad now and he doesn't make any impact.

If they lose in the first two rounds there's no way I keep the core the same. I've made that known.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Ok cool we are on the same wavelength here, if they cannot Acquire a legit winger for Stastny would you guys be OK with staying the course for now and overhauling in the off season if a run isn't made ie no small moves just for depth giving away more picks. We have given away a lot of those recently and need to start hanging on to them. If they make only small moves ie moving Berglund or Ott just as hypotheticals to clear cap space for deals in the off season and get picks back for the scouting staff to work with I am ok with that as well

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Winger for Staz and something to bolster the defense. I fear Shatty coming back may not be enough.

The Typo Truther

Nov 29, 2011
Kansas City, MO
At this point, I think we need to start coming to grips with the fact that this team doesn't have the right players to win. There's nothing to do about it now and they might as well let this season play out and see what happens, but the right combination of pieces and talent just don't seem to be there.

Much of the forward talent is on the wrong side of 27, but they will still have value in the offseason. Rather than slog it out for a few more years, wasting the young talent we do have, I think it's time to consider new homes for Backes, Oshie, Steen and Berglund (Stastny probably isn't movable because of his contract but give it a shot). They all have decent contracts and could fetch a worthwhile return. Look for players that can add to the younger group of Tarasenko, Jaskin, Rattie, etc.

It wouldn't be a total reset, given the strength of their youth, but I'm afraid we're wasting that youth by trying to ride it out with what we have.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Some of these comments, I'd expect to read on the Ottawa forum. But the Blues have as good a chance as anyone. Chicago's defense is a mess right now, and they're beatable in a 7 game series. The Blues have their own vulnerabilities, but its not written anywhere that they can't win in the post-season this year. A healthy Shattenkirk would help a lot.

What's the motivation for acting like they've already lost the first round of the playoffs when they're sitting as one of the top few teams in the league?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
At this point, I think we need to start coming to grips with the fact that this team doesn't have the right players to win. There's nothing to do about it now and they might as well let this season play out and see what happens, but the right combination of pieces and talent just don't seem to be there.

Much of the forward talent is on the wrong side of 27, but they will still have value in the offseason. Rather than slog it out for a few more years, wasting the young talent we do have, I think it's time to consider new homes for Backes, Oshie, Steen and Berglund (Stastny probably isn't movable because of his contract but give it a shot). They all have decent contracts and could fetch a worthwhile return. Look for players that can add to the younger group of Tarasenko, Jaskin, Rattie, etc.

It wouldn't be a total reset, given the strength of their youth, but I'm afraid we're wasting that youth by trying to ride it out with what we have.

Really? Blow it up after a small slump? This is overreacting to an extreme degree. Nobody knows if we have the combination of players to win it all. We will find out if we have the right players in the playoffs. Our youth isn't being wasted by being on a competitive team. If we fail in the playoffs again, then we should look at altering the core, not blow it up(which is exactly what you're suggesting).

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Some of these comments, I'd expect to read on the Ottawa forum. But the Blues have as good a chance as anyone. Chicago's defense is a mess right now, and they're beatable in a 7 game series. The Blues have their own vulnerabilities, but its not written anywhere that they can't win in the post-season this year. A healthy Shattenkirk would help a lot.

What's the motivation for acting like they've already lost the first round of the playoffs when they're sitting as one of the top few teams in the league?
Exactly. Regardless of how they are playing now, they have lost exactly 0 playoff games in 2015. I'll wait to throw in the towel until they start playing like this in the playoffs, but I reserve the right to become surly if it appears they may lose their footing on 2nd place and end up having to start a first round series on the road.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
This is why I don't frequent this forum that often any longer. The Blues, even going through one of their worst slumps this season, are 5-5-0 in their last 10 games. While that isn't good, it is far from the terror some fans make it out to be. In context, in a seven game series, that would be forcing a game 7 and a coin flip to win or lose. That isn't terrible. That isn't a free fall. That's the course of an 82 game season taking a toll. It happens. Not to mention this is coming after a 13 game point streak where we won 11 of those 13. The law of averages means we were due to lose a couple after that.

We talk about the Blackhawks like they're some boogeyman, but they're slumping as bad as, if not worse, than we are. We talk about the Kings like they're our kryptonite, but check out the start of their season. Every team is going to have bad stretches. It's natural. To think the sky is falling after every single loss is moronic. We are second in our division, which is the toughest division in hockey, in the tougher of two conferences. That's damn good.

It seems like we are already writing off the playoffs before they start. I know, as Blues fans, we have a history of being disappointed. But so what? Let's at least pretend like we think we have a chance because, well, we do. We're a damn good team. We have very good prospects. Why would we blow it up now? Have you all forgotten the slog the years post lockout were?

I swear, with some fans here, we could win the Cup, but because we lost a game in the final, they would advocate blowing the team up.

The Typo Truther

Nov 29, 2011
Kansas City, MO
The only evidence we have that they're not capable of winning is: every other playoff performance we've witnessed.

Again, don't make any material moves at the deadline, but if this season doesn't play out any better than previous seasons, I think it's time for a long, hard look in the off season. That's not panic, it's reality. There does not appear to be anything special about this group of players.

zachws6

Nov 8, 2010
STL
I already mentioned during the slump a couple moths ago...
I don't care what they do in the regular season this year, but:
1. Make the playoffs
2. Would love to see Tarasenko hit 40
3. Make it to at least the conference finals

If they don't do #3, feel free to build around 17, 91, 22, 27. The rest can go to fetch a new team. I say that even though I LOVE our guys now, but they simply won't be getting us a cup if they blow dodge early this spring again.

sst338d

Oct 20, 2014
I don't think they need to change much, but believe they would see the biggest help by adding a good quality 3rd line center. I think Vermette would fit perfectly on this team.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
This is why I don't frequent this forum that often any longer. The Blues, even going through one of their worst slumps this season, are 5-5-0 in their last 10 games. While that isn't good, it is far from the terror some fans make it out to be. In context, in a seven game series, that would be forcing a game 7 and a coin flip to win or lose. That isn't terrible. That isn't a free fall. That's the course of an 82 game season taking a toll. It happens. Not to mention this is coming after a 13 game point streak where we won 11 of those 13. The law of averages means we were due to lose a couple after that.

We talk about the Blackhawks like they're some boogeyman, but they're slumping as bad as, if not worse, than we are. We talk about the Kings like they're our kryptonite, but check out the start of their season. Every team is going to have bad stretches. It's natural. To think the sky is falling after every single loss is moronic. We are second in our division, which is the toughest division in hockey, in the tougher of two conferences. That's damn good.

It seems like we are already writing off the playoffs before they start. I know, as Blues fans, we have a history of being disappointed. But so what? Let's at least pretend like we think we have a chance because, well, we do. We're a damn good team. We have very good prospects. Why would we blow it up now? Have you all forgotten the slog the years post lockout were?

I swear, with some fans here, we could win the Cup, but because we lost a game in the final, they would advocate blowing the team up.

I agree with all of this. Which is also why I've become more of a lurker instead of a frequent poster on here anymore as well.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006

No disrespect, CornBall :)sarcasm:), but, for better or worse, Backes, Steen and Oshie comprise the Blues most productive line and also the core of the leadership on the team. Steen is not exactly vocal, but leads by example with his exceptional two-way play. Backes leads through passion and is quite vocal and Oshie is like a demi-god, so getting rid of these players is a bad idea.

And we all know that Backes needs to cool his jets a little come playoff time and not get rattled and take stupid penalties or hurt someone really bad because he is pissed off like usual.

On the other hand, cap considerations may drive a change, but it would be a business move and NOT a hockey move, per se.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
The only evidence we have that they're not capable of winning is: every other playoff performance we've witnessed.

Again, don't make any material moves at the deadline, but if this season doesn't play out any better than previous seasons, I think it's time for a long, hard look in the off season. That's not panic, it's reality. There does not appear to be anything special about this group of players.

How many playoff games has this team played this season? Last season, and all the rest before them have no bearing on this season. We are a different team. Adding Stastny, Lehtera, Gunnarsson, and Goc and losing nobody of value helps out quite a bit. Add that to the fact that one of our young studs took a giant leap forward to the level of being a legitimate star player, and the other took a step from being very good to great. To say this is just like the other years is simply untrue. The odds are still against us winning it all, but that doesn't justify shipping off every player over 27. That's a rebuild. Teams as good as the Blues, with the bright young players we have on the team, and those in the not so distant future, don't rebuild. You're worried about "wasting" our young players' career by playing them on a certain playoff, borderline contender team, but are okay with trading their support and forcing them to play through a horrible mess of a team(which is what the Blues would be sans Backes, Steen, Oshie and Stastny). It truly does not make any sense.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I agree with all of this. Which is also why I've become more of a lurker instead of a frequent poster on here anymore as well.

We need balance and levity on these boards and by "shying away from contact" you bring down the overall quality of the product. There will always be Debbie Downers here, but if you go away because someone is being, in your opinion, unreasonable, then it is your fault that the board becomes somewhat riddled with Negative Nancys. Stick around and balance it out, unless you can't stomach the fight, which is ok:shakehead.

By the way, are there any male analogs to Debbie Downer and Negative Nancy?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It's only a few that constantly call for blowing up the team or they are perpetual losers.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
We need balance and levity on these boards and by "shying away from contact" you bring down the overall quality of the product. There will always be Debbie Downers here, but if you go away because someone is being, in your opinion, unreasonable, then it is your fault that the board becomes somewhat riddled with Negative Nancys. Stick around and balance it out, unless you can't stomach the fight, which is ok:shakehead.

By the way, are there any male analogs to Debbie Downer and Negative Nancy?

But it's not "someone, it's becoming a larger group. Now, people are entitled to their own opinions and that's perfectly fine. I'm not advocating group think. But when every single post from certain people is always the same doom and gloom no matter how the team is doing it's just...a waste of time in my opinion. You can't talk rationally to these posters about the team; their mind is made up. I came here to discuss intelligently with other hockey fans and for years I was able to do that. Now it doesn't seem to be that way.

I really didn't mean to get the thread off topic but I wanted to respond to you. I do understand what you're saying about leaving and everything. With it being my last semester in college and working a lot, I don't make the time to visit the boards like I used to in the past because of, my opinion, the quality has tanked.

Bluesin7

Jan 29, 2014
I don't understand the freefall/pitfall? We're 5-5 in our L10. Every team has these kinds of runs. For example, Anaheim, LA, TB, DET, BOS, CHI, and MTL recently got out of theirs along with CHI/LA... we can't win every game

And boy if Kane is actually out for 10 weeks, that's pretty much the first round and a half of playoffs.. We have a much better shot at beating CHI

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
But it's not "someone, it's becoming a larger group. Now, people are entitled to their own opinions and that's perfectly fine. I'm not advocating group think. But when every single post from certain people is always the same doom and gloom no matter how the team is doing it's just...a waste of time in my opinion. You can't talk rationally to these posters about the team; their mind is made up. I came here to discuss intelligently with other hockey fans and for years I was able to do that. Now it doesn't seem to be that way.

I really didn't mean to get the thread off topic but I wanted to respond to you. I do understand what you're saying about leaving and everything. With it being my last semester in college and working a lot, I don't make the time to visit the boards like I used to in the past because of, my opinion, the quality has tanked.

I understand exactly what you're saying. I've been around here long enough to see the ups and downs. Believe me, it's been worse than before you joined. The vibe here ebbs and flows, but one thing is for certain; this board is among the best of the best of the team boards on HF.

There is way less traffic here than on most other team boards, but the quality here far outshines the other boards and most people here (not just Blues fans) would agree with that. That's kind of a brag, but a well-earned brag. This board has a reputation of being intelligent and informative.

I would say to consider yourself lucky to be a Blues fan. By not coming around with more positivity you are contributing to the larger group of negativity.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I understand exactly what you're saying. I've been around here long enough to see the ups and downs. Believe me, it's been worse than before you joined. The vibe here ebbs and flows, but one thing is for certain; this board is among the best of the best of the team boards on HF.

There is way less traffic here than on most other team boards, but the quality here far outshines the other boards and most people here (not just Blues fans) would agree with that. That's kind of a brag, but a well-earned brag. This board has a reputation of being intelligent and informative.

I would say to consider yourself lucky to be a Blues fan. By not coming around with more positivity you are contributing to the larger group of negativity.

Seems rather fitting. :laugh:

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
The fact is nobody we could acquire with our expendables will make the team that much better, so short of an injury replacement for Shattenkirk I don't really see what needs to be done, other than actually play hockey and execute.

Seems rather fitting. :laugh:

I love Triumph and this is probably my favorite song by them but the best part about this video by far is Rik Emmett's hair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad