I Hate The Draft Lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

smytty

Aug 1, 2015
So much whining about the Oilers and the lottery..
Their history since 2010. Pre lottery vs post lottery draft position

2010: 1-1
2011: 1-1
2012: 2-1 - Drafted Yakupov. 2nd was Murray
2013: 7-7
2014: 3-3
2015: 3-1 - Drafted McDavid. 3rd was Strome
2016: 2-4 - Drafted Puljujarvi. 4th was Laine
2017: Not in lottery

They moved up a total of 3 spots due to the lottery. They moved down a total of 2 spots.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I can't believe people still think the NHL fixes the lottery and yet Edmonton keeps winning. There is not a worse result for the NHL. But the argument is they fix it?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
turn it around. Pick 1 to the 17th team in the standings(first team outside of the playoffs),2nd to the 18th, 3rd to the 19th etc. 31st team i the standings get the worst pick of the non playoff teams but still a pretty high pick. Same draft ranking as now for the playoff teams.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I hate that bad teams are rewarded with high draft picks,

I don't get the argument that you hate bad teams being rewarded the say you hate the draft lottery. If you hate bad teams being rewarded wouldn't the draft lottery be an improvement on worst team gets the first pick?

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I don't follow.
Parity sucks and hockey is already the sport that is most strongly influenced by luck rather than top end talent to begin with. A team should never be better off losing.

I don't follow the luck part. Please explain.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
When you have a draft then you must determine draft order somehow. I think the current system is almost fine. one of the things I'd add to it is that if a contending team like Pittsburgh or Tampa narrowly misses playoffs they would have 0% chance to win the lottery. So something same like they used for the 2005 draft where teams with fewer playoff appearances over the last three/more seasons had a better chance of landing higher picks. If they wanted the league could already remove any chance of the outrage and injustice that would follow if a team like current Pittsburgh would win the lottery in a stacked draft. Of course like in everything else the crap has to hit the fan before reaction.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The only reason the system works is because they have ELC contracts and RFA years. Without those the owners would never agree to guaranteed contracts, and without the guaranteed contracts players don't agree period.
That's not true.

1. Players will player were the money is ie the NHL.
2. Teams that offer guaranteed contracts will have the competitive advantage attracting players.
3. Non-guaranteed contracts could well work both ways, players tearing them up when they are outperforming them. Teams won't want that.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
That's not true.

1. Players will player were the money is ie the NHL.
2. Teams that offer guaranteed contracts will have the competitive advantage attracting players.
3. Non-guaranteed contracts could well work both ways, players tearing them up when they are outperforming them. Teams won't want that.

1) there is no NHL without a signed CBA. which brings us to
2 & 3) You'd need the NHLPA to sign off on that, and there's less than zero chance of that. Guaranteed contracts have always been a non-negotiable thing with them. Just think about it from their perspective. The number of players making way less then they're worth (outside of ELC or RFA contracts) is minuscule compared to the number of overpaid guys floating around. And that's before you even get to the potential for career ending injuries.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
I always preferred the way Europe handles the league structure in soccer. No cap, pay your players what you like, and if you want another team's player, pay them a ****load of money for the rights to sign him. Yes, rich teams run unchecked, but some teams in small markets make tons of money by developing and selling their talent. They stay competitive that way.

Also, love the idea of relegating teams that suck. Bottom two teams in the league play in the AHL next year. Top two AHL teams move up to the NHL. Obviously, a system like this will never be implemented, but it was always my preference as someone who watches a lot of soccer. Fighting to stay up is almost as exciting as challenging for the league title. Tends to raise the level of overall play in a league too. Oh well.

Oilers would be playing at the local community shinny hockey tournament if this was implemented a decade ago...

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I can't believe people still think the NHL fixes the lottery and yet Edmonton keeps winning. There is not a worse result for the NHL. But the argument is they fix it?
You obviously are missing the pre-text for that conspiracy theory.
It's actually quite simple, and contrary to rebuttal arguments, does have merit.
You see, Edmonton is a Canadian market, attempts to strengthen Canadian markets in the absence of American markets success is actually a sound foundation.

Ask yourself this......

Why is the lottery pull held in secret, behind closed doors?
If there is nothing to hide, bring it forth for the public to view.....

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I assume you mean Edmonton and Toronto, but you know that the lottery existed before, right? Those weren't the first two years of the lottery. They just changed the rules after the McDavid draft so that the top 3 picks were up for grabs via the lottery rather than just 1st overall. The Leafs had the potential to drop to 4th just like what happened with Colorado. If the rules in the 2016 draft were the same as in previous years, and the Leafs lost, they would have picked 2nd and got Laine because that's as far as they could drop.

Exactly.

Not to mention that Vegas was just added into the league and draft as well as the 31st team so it was even more likely the Leafs would pick 4th than 1st. We got lucky. Very thankful for Matthews! :bow:

snag

Feb 22, 2014
So perhaps someone who watches soccer can answer this: Are the relegated teams used as the farm teams for the "big" teams? Kinda curious how the Pens and Sharks would like playing the Pens and the Sharks....while having no AHL affiliate to condition/develop their players. :huh:

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It's actually quite simple, and contrary to rebuttal arguments, does have merit.
You see, Edmonton is a Canadian market, attempts to strengthen Canadian markets in the absence of American markets success is actually a sound foundation.

Ask yourself this......

But Edmonton sells-out when they are the worst NHl team. So what does that do for the NHL? How does it help them having a generational talent playing in a western small Canadian market?
I really could care less about why it is behind closed doors. The NHl won't ruin all of their credibility with a draft lottery.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

The beauty of conspiracy theories is that you could come up with an argument like this no matter who wins the lottery.

Actually, an argument far better than this, since this argument doesn't make any sense whatsoever. We've had 25 years of "GARY BETTMAN HATES CANADA LOLLLLLLL!" comments, so why would the league do what you claim?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016

Ask yourself this......

lol there's NO merit to that theory, it's absurd, the NHL's growth comes from the US. The sport practically sells itself in Canadian markets. The only real struggle Canadian teams have ever had occurred when the Canadian dollar was 55 cents to the US dollar.

The lottery isn't held in secret, the pull of the numbers is broadcast on live TV across the world. Each team has a representative present and there's an accountancy firm watching over the entire thing.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
The beauty of conspiracy theories is that you could come up with an argument like this no matter who wins the lottery.

Actually, an argument far better than this, since this argument doesn't make any sense whatsoever. We've had 25 years of "GARY BETTMAN HATES CANADA LOLLLLLLL!" comments, so why would the league do what you claim?
I claim nothing other than its a conspiracy THEORY.

Really, you should respond within the context, otherwise the conversation is with a brick wall. Some of us still value intelligence.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
If Edmonton or Chicago win it again this year it is time to start questioning the validity of the lottery.
Edmonton winning it so much proves it is 100% legit. It's a nightmare for the NHL to have that organization keep winning.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
lol there's NO merit to that theory, it's absurd, the NHL's growth comes from the US. The sport practically sells itself in Canadian markets. The only real struggle Canadian teams have ever had occurred when the Canadian dollar was 55 cents to the US dollar.

The lottery isn't held in secret, the pull of the numbers is broadcast on live TV across the world. Each team has a representative present and there's an accountancy firm watching over the entire thing.
Actually, yes there is merit. Please respond within the context of the post. Its a THEORY some believe in.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Actually, yes there is merit. Please respond within the context of the post. Its a THEORY some believe in.
How does Edmonton winning help grow the game exactly? Don't you think it's better for a generational talent to play in a big U.S market? Edmonton sells-out when they are dead last. If you were to pick worst organization to keep winning the lottery, Edmonton might be #1, or at least top 3.
The growth is in the U.S.
I a quite stunned people will actually argue Edmonton shows it is fixed. Edmonton? We use to hear Crosby would go to the Rangers. At least that made sense.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Exactly.

Not to mention that Vegas was just added into the league and draft as well as the 31st team so it was even more likely the Leafs would pick 4th than 1st. We got lucky. Very thankful for Matthews! :bow:
Different year. Vegas first drafted in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille