I Hate The Draft Lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
I agree with this post. The lottery as serves completely disincentives tanking while also giving hope to the teams in ‘no mans land’ where they aren’t good enough to make the playoffs, but not bad enough to get a top pick. Philly, Dallas, Winnipeg etc. It’s good that these teams are given a bit of hope, and you don’t see all the top draft picks going to Buffalo/Vancouver/Arizona guaranteed

Did you use apt examples or did you just pick a bunch of teams you don’t like? I’m trying to remember the last time the Canucks got the top pick, right, it was never, and not a top 3 since the Sedins, and even then we were picking 4th before all of Burke’s wheeling and dealing.

So glad the 2016 lottery worked out for the Jets, /sarcasm. Hope it screws your team one day too, two seasons in a row.

Last edited:

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
The draft lottery is crap too because then the NHL can start putting guys where they want them, and don't think for a second that they won't. It's all about the dollar bill.

The first two years of the lottery, two huge Canadian markets get their saviors. I'm shocked.
Saviours we deserve. Storied franchises deserve this treatment. You're welcome.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
the irony is for all the bitching and complaining people do about "all those Edmonton picks", if the NHL just went reverse order the Oilers only have 2 1st overall picks and not 4.

2012 goes to Columbus
2015 goes to Buffalo

being a poorly run franchise or trading aging vets for picks when bad =/= tanking.

Tanking is purposely not playing your best players explicitly to lose. This year if Montreal keeps Price on the bench, that is tanking...trading Price for picks is not.

Last edited by a moderator:

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
the irony is for all the *****ing and complaining people do about "all those Edmonton picks", if the NHL just went reverse order the Oilers only have 2 1st overall picks and not 4.

2012 goes to Columbus
2015 goes to Buffalo

being a poorly run franchise or trading aging vets for picks when bad =/= tanking.

Tanking is purposely not playing your best players explicitly to lose. This year if Montreal keeps Price on the bench, that is tanking...trading Price for picks is not.

Exactly the only team who has truly and undeniably tanked was Pittsburgh when they used their 4th string goalie instead of their starter during the end of the season stretch so the Devils couldnt finish last while being geniunely awful.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Did you use apt examples or did you just pick a bunch of teams you don’t like? I’m trying to remember the last time the Canucks got the top pick, right, it was never, and not a top 3 since the Sedins, and even then we were picking 4th before all of Burke’s wheeling and dealing.

So glad the 2016 lottery worked out for the Jets, /sarcasm. Hope it screws your team one day too, two seasons in a row.
I clearly picked teams that are bad today and have been bad for some time? Lol at getting this salty about someone acknowledging the fact that your team is garbage

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
I clearly picked teams that are bad today and have been bad for some time? Lol at getting this salty about someone acknowledging the fact that your team is garbage

No what I'm trying to make sense of is why you think it's bad that the top pick would go to any of those three teams since the last time that happened was 1987.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

The Canucks had two bad seasons prior to this one and a very unlucky, injury riddled "everything that can go wrong will" type year in 2014.

We haven't been "bad for a while" and we were a force 5-7 years ago. Don't lump us in with the other teams.

Reactions: Atrusai

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Two points... number 1 before sports teams had drafts it was patently unfair and leagues crumbled because of it... look at the Cleveland Browns... they had no rules in the AAFL... they outbided the nfl for all the talent.. more or less built a dynasty that won so much it destroyed the entertainment value of the league, and were so good they won several nfl championships when that league absorbed them... but once the draft kicked in and you had to develop talent, not just buy all the best prospects and hope some are too good to fail,that team came back down to earth....

Secondly the NHL was about to collapse without a cap... 9 teams banded together to force that out of pure survival because idiot franchises with money to burn, trying and failing to buy championship, were driving costs to unsustainable levels.

instead of blaming a talent aquisition system built on fairness, maybe franchises ought to learn to develop and play young players... the NHL is by far the worse sports league for development...its idiotic how they misused younger players and favor washed up vets...

WinUnlimited

Mar 28, 2016
Chesterfield, MO
the irony is for all the *****ing and complaining people do about "all those Edmonton picks".

NHL Draft Order Based on Mathematical Elimination (PDF Download Available)
Published in Jan 2010, prior to Edmonton winning any lottery. The NY Islanders won draft lottery the year I submitted and it went into press. Guess who I had going first overall in 2009? The team no longer in Atlanta would have gotten first overall in my paper. Tavares in Georgia could have been a thing.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I think too many NHL fans focus more on getting the almighty 1OA pick rather than hoping their team wins a Stanley Cup.

Correct. Get rid of Draft Lottery and all the related gimmicks and stupid other rules people keep proposing. You finish last, you pick first. Stop gifting my team all these 1st overalls!!!! Geez you're going to do it again this year!

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Try thinking about something before you say it. What do you think would have been better for the NHL? Matthews in Toronto or Matthews in Arizona?

Hint: Toronto is going to sell out with or without Matthews

What? Matthews in Toronto is a thousand times better for the NHL than if he was in Arizona were NO ONE would give a crap? In Toronto he is perceived as a top player, same numbers in Arizona and he doesn't get a mention beyond, the four goal game and his final goal total.

Just like Dahlin will be a disaster for the league if he lands in Arizona. There shouldn't even be a team there they are so irrelevant.

Last edited:

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
NHL needs to institute an anti-Oilers lotto rule

That fixes 90% of the lotto

Yup that recent lottery change was just a stupid overreaction to the Oilers making a deal with the devil.

They should have just instead instituted a rule that you are inelligible for the draft lottery if you have won it in the last 3-5 years. Problem solved. But no.
We had to completely revamp the whole lottery and now the worst team in the league is more likely to pick 4th than in the top3...

Just stupid...

Reactions: Atrusai

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
every pick for non-playoff teams should be a lottery draw...that way tanking is gone and teams that try and are good have a shot at a#1 pick...it would make trading first round picks crazy, but damn that would be the most exciting drafts ever, teams finding out what pick they get as a lotto machine draws their logo,..

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
I still say it should work like this

If you draft 3rd overall, you can't select 1st overall the following year
If you draft 2nd overall, you can't draft 1st or 2nd the following year and 1st the year after that
If you draft 1st overall, you can't draft 1st, 2nd or 3rd the following year, 1st or 2nd the year after that and 1st the year after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad