Post-Game Talk: "I guarantee a win tonight vs the Avs: 9:07PM"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
We have 5 games left, why on Earth should we overload Holtby for a record? He has plenty of times to get it that doesn't risk him. Holts has also never been great in back to backs.

pocketrockets

Dec 12, 2010
We have 5 games left, why on Earth should we overload Holtby for a record? He has plenty of times to get it that doesn't risk him. Holts has also never been great in back to backs.

People are thinking he should play the B2B to stay in "vezina mode", not for the record.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
People are thinking he should play the B2B to stay in "vezina mode", not for the record.

I just don't think he's ever been great in back to backs, and its not like he's playing a game very night from here on till the dance. If not playing back to back turns him out of his Jesus mode than we're screwed come playoff time anyway. I'd expect him to play the last 2 or 3 games straight out.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Avs fan here coming in peace. Holy crap, that was a butt whooping. You just toyed with us the whole game. Impressive stuff. Helps that the Avs are terrible, but whatever.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
well 5 posts will do that

If I remember correctly the Caps rang the post a lot against MTL in that 1st round choke way back when. Ringing posts is not an excuse. An utterly dominated team should not be within 1 goal with 4 minutes left in a game.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Avs fan here coming in peace. Holy crap, that was a butt whooping. You just toyed with us the whole game. Impressive stuff. Helps that the Avs are terrible, but whatever.

Let me tell you this. The talent is there for the Avs. Duchene, MacKinnon, Boedker, Comeau, Barrie, Landeskog, Johnson. Those are all good players, but they won't score if they don't have the puck. The butt whooping is Patrick Roy's fault.

Caps are a quick transition team and like to cycle the puck. If the Avs don't try to break up the Caps' puck movement in the corners and along the boards, the puck will find itself at the blue line for a SOG by the defense. The Avs collapsed down low in an attempt to cover the backdoor pass to open wingers like Ovechkin or Oshie, but by doing so, some players are left wide open for an easy shot.

Barrie looked like he had no idea how he would get the puck out, it's a coaching issue.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
If I remember correctly the Caps rang the post a lot against MTL in that 1st round choke way back when. Ringing posts is not an excuse. An utterly dominated team should not be within 1 goal with 4 minutes left in a game.

true but 5 shots hitting post and outshooting them 47-19. not much more they could do imo

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Been thinking about Holby's situation re the record, how much should he play.

Caps w/5 left. Grubby should get 1 start, maybe 2. That gives Holtby up to 4 starts. If he goes 3-1 he not only breaks Marty Bs record but hits 50 ! :D

pocketrockets

Dec 12, 2010
Been thinking about Holby's situation re the record, how much should he play.

Caps w/5 left. Grubby should get 1 start, maybe 2. That gives Holtby up to 4 starts. If he goes 3-1 he not only breaks Marty Bs record but hits 50 ! :D

Conventional thinking would say he has 3 starts left.

4/2 @ Arz- Off since its a b2b
4/5 NYI -Start
4/7 Pens-Start
4/9 @STL Start
4/10 ANA Off

STL/ANA could go either way which one he starts

pocketrockets

Dec 12, 2010

Not true:

yXBqba0Zx8S4.gif

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Avs fan here, curious what separates this Caps team from the dominant one that got Halak'd seasons ago? Asking in terms to see what The Avs need to change to get this good. Obviously a lot of you will say Roy, but this teams problems run much deeper than him. He's been a problem, but so has everyone else as well. Everyone deserves blame, it's so frustrating to see your team so close, but yet so far away.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Avs fan here, curious what separates this Caps team from the dominant one that got Halak'd seasons ago? Asking in terms to see what The Avs need to change to get this good. Obviously a lot of you will say Roy, but this teams problems run much deeper than him. He's been a problem, but so has everyone else as well. Everyone deserves blame, it's so frustrating to see your team so close, but yet so far away.

Roy is your biggest problem. Maybe the guys who hired him, too. But you have a lot of great young talent. There's a lot to feel good about.

As for the 2016 vs. 2010 Caps, I'd say defense mainly. Our top 6 in 2010 wouldn't crack the lineup today. Avs seem to play soft on D and rely too much on Varly. Goalies matter a lot, but they can't do it alone. As good as Holtby's been this year, when our D was depleted, he struggled too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad