I feel like Tampa is on the way down

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This team will be fine next year and moving forward. Missing the playoffs was maybe a blessing in disguise. It gives time for Stamkos, Callahan, and Johnson to fully heal and train for next year , with more time to do it, and they likely got a wake up call that you cannot just let points slip away from your grasp in the beginning of the season.

With seeing some of these young guys perform like Brayden Point while filling in for the wounded, it got to show Tampa's future on the NHL level. The future looks very good. Point would have never gotten this opportunity if it was not for the injuries that started in the beginning of this season. Their cap situation is good now for next season, and don't have to start crunching numbers or moving anyone else out, unless to upgrade the D at this point.

Like someone said above, expect them to be hungry next season, but the rest was needed now.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't expect people to agree but that's fine I stand by what I said

What you said was they'd be hurt by the lose of Bishop, Boyle and Filppula. Boyle and Filppula are depth players so not a big lose. Brayden Point already replaced Filppula as he put up a higher ppg and took his center spot while costing 4mil less. Yanni Gourde looks like he can replace Boyle, he scored at a higher rate while replacing him on the PK. Bishop looked like it would hurt but with the year he had and Vasilevskiy coming on strong it's not looking so bad while freeing up some cap.

The loses you mentioned have been replaced at a discount and not much if any production drop-off. The player we will lose to Vegas won't be a key piece either, even if it's Killorn we have internal replacements and save even more on our cap. The only point you made that may make any sense if Stamkos not being healthy going forward. But even a less than 100% Stamkos would be better than most if not all our other centers so we'd still be improved.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Shh.. that doesn't fit his homer rhetoric. Or buy him his butt hurt cream over Stammer choosing Tampa over TOR.

actually no, if you go back and look at my posts from that time period I had him staying in Tampa until after the deadline, at which point I did think he was leaving but that he would be going to Buffalo because they had missed out on the big fish up to that point and I thought their owner would drive the money truck up to his house because he seems like the kind of owner that wants to make the big splash as seen with the ROR and Evander Kane trades and the agressive pursuit of Babcock.

I wanted Stamkos absolutely but I never had it happening and quite Frankly we might have been better off that it didn't because now his health is a major question.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What you said was they'd be hurt by the lose of Bishop, Boyle and Filppula. Boyle and Filppula are depth players so not a big lose. Brayden Point already replaced Filppula as he put up a higher ppg and took his center spot while costing 4mil less. Yanni Gourde looks like he can replace Boyle, he scored at a higher rate while replacing him on the PK. Bishop looked like it would hurt but with the year he had and Vasilevskiy coming on strong it's not looking so bad while freeing up some cap.

The loses you mentioned have been replaced at a discount and not much if any production drop-off. The player we will lose to Vegas won't be a key piece either, even if it's Killorn we have internal replacements and save even more on our cap. The only point you made that may make any sense if Stamkos not being healthy going forward. But even a less than 100% Stamkos would be better than most if not all our other centers so we'd still be improved.

I'm not sold on Vas yet, lets see what he does as the undisputed #1 next year

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Stamkos' health is not a major question. He hasn't had 3 of the same or similar injuries.

He had a knee injury that they decided to repair instead of just remove the cartilage because it would prolong his career and knee health. The surgery he opted for sidelined him for a long time. If he opted to have it remove he would have been back quick at a cost on the back end of his career and life after the game. Steve Yzerman had this exact same injury, but had to have it removed, and still played 9 more seasons in the NHL.

His other injuries issues were a high speed collision with a goalpost resulting in a broken in leg (on the other leg than the knee problem) which he fully recovered from. The blood clot thing was a rare and unexpected medical condition. He clearly recovered as he was on pace for 43 goals and 96 pts, IIRC, when he got injured this season.

Here are the NHL stats at the time of injury:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...r=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,goals,assists

He and Kucherov were on the same line and absolutely dominating.

Last edited:

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
major star power up front, best D in the league in Hedman, good goalie...pretty much the opposite of on the way down.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
If we can get Nikita Gusev to come over from Russia we'll really be on the way down.

Gusev is a pipe dream at this point, IMO. Not really realistic to include him. I'd absolutely love it if he joined up but I don't see it happening at all. He's going to get a loooooooooooooooooooot of money offered to him by teams when his deal is up. He's really got to want to play in the NHL to come over.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Gusev is a pipe dream at this point, IMO. Not really realistic to include him. I'd absolutely love it if he joined up but I don't see it happening at all. He's going to get a loooooooooooooooooooot of money offered to him by teams when his deal is up. He's really got to want to play in the NHL to come over.

That seals it. We're doomed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad