i cant say i understand the PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
i have for all this time been very much against the owners tactics and frankly still feel this would have been resolved if the owners had used a softer hand.

HOWEVER, what exactly do the players think they have to hold onto here ? they are a collective group of fools for not taking their stay of execution (on saturday) and making it work.

the NHL called their bluff and now everyone (staff, players, owners, fans, associated business) is losing out.

talk about stubborn. talk about being a victim of your own success. they are so rich (players) that they arent hungry enough to suck it up and "settle" for some less "fair". can you imagine the word "fair" being used so many times as the lone reason why they cant agree to share 42.5m X 30 between their brothers.

i still hold the owners accountable for getting the league into this mess, but my opinion on the players has changed big time in the last few weeks.

dont count me on the players side anymore. they had the chance to bail the NHL out and said screw you. i say screw them.

dr

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
DR said:
i have for all this time been very much against the owners tactics and frankly still feel this would have been resolved if the owners had used a softer hand.

HOWEVER, what exactly do the players think they have to hold onto here ? they are a collective group of fools for not taking their stay of execution (on saturday) and making it work.

the NHL called their bluff and now everyone (staff, players, owners, fans, associated business) is losing out.

talk about stubborn. talk about being a victim of your own success. they are so rich (players) that they arent hungry enough to suck it up and "settle" for some less "fair". can you imagine the word "fair" being used so many times as the lone reason why they cant agree to share 42.5m X 30 between their brothers.

i still hold the owners accountable for getting the league into this mess, but my opinion on the players has changed big time in the last few weeks.

dont count me on the players side anymore. they had the chance to bail the NHL out and said screw you. i say screw them.

dr

Then the NHL P.R to blame everything on the player succeed a lot !!!

My thought is that the OWNERS never want to agree with them. Very often when something got closer to a ''resemblance'' of an agreement, it was said that they put some variance in the offers just to confuse the PA & make sure they wont accept.

Everything seems well for the owners but I'm one who don't believe 1 cent they will win the impasse thing & also they can't live with ''scabs'' to get what they want.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
While I know the season is dead... if the PA had some ****ing brains, and called the owners up and asked if the 42.5 is still available, I think the owners would go for it. Maybe... :dunno:

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Russian Fan said:

My thought is that the OWNERS never want to agree with them. Very often when something got closer to a ''resemblance'' of an agreement, it was said that they put some variance in the offers just to confuse the PA & make sure they wont accept.

Everything seems well for the owners but I'm one who don't believe 1 cent they will win the impasse thing & also they can't live with ''scabs'' to get what they want.
fine, you are entitled to your opinion. fact is, scabs or lockout, the players chose to not suck it up. its their right, but i dont support such a position anymore.

at some point in time you have to see the forest through the tree's and move on. they are fighting a battle that i cant support anymore.

like they care what i think anyhow.

dr

Reilly311

I can't understand how there on players on the PA that don't even have college degrees.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
DR said:
fine, you are entitled to your opinion. fact is, scabs or lockout, the players chose to not suck it up. its their right, but i dont support such a position anymore.

at some point in time you have to see the forest through the tree's and move on. they are fighting a battle that i cant support anymore.

like they care what i think anyhow.

dr

I just don't see why they should ''suck it up'' to owners who are not willing to budge on anything. Fans perceive this as a true statement on how bad the economics are & I think it's all related to the P.R. the owners/Bettman/Daly did so far.

They spend too much time to give the fans what they want to hear instead of really getting it done.

Everyone blame Goodenow here but what he did so far was brilliant if you ask me. He did everything in order the NHL can't go into the impasse stuff by removing the ''philosophical differences'' slash/CAP vs NO CAP.

The owners won't get everything , at least that's not what I think as of today.

P.S to you personally DR, I understand that you can be tired to be in the minority here, it's exhausting.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Russian Fan said:

When push came to shove the NHL has been offering the simplier more direct options. They might not have been the right options for the NHLPA but they are simple. A cap at $42.5m is a cap at $42.4m. Less deception.

I'm sorry but its the NHLPA that have been putting up most of the odd variances. The infamous clause 7, for example. Dodgy linkages and trigger clauses they can manipulate. $49m caps that are really $53.9m caps. Not telling their players about taking a cap or rolling back their wages.

The NHL has been more up front and honest during the end stages of this than the NHLPA.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
me2 said:
When push came to shove the NHL has been offering the simplier more direct options. They might not have been the right options for the NHLPA but they are simple. A cap at $42.5m is a cap at $42.4m. Less deception.

I'm sorry but its the NHLPA that have been putting up most of the odd variances. The infamous clause 7, for example. Dodgy linkages and trigger clauses they can manipulate. $49m caps that are really $53.9m caps. Not telling their players about taking a cap or rolling back their wages.

The NHL has been more up front and honest during the end stages of this than the NHLPA.

You see it only as the #'$ of the cap but this negociation is far more than that.

I don't know how you perceive me as a poster but personnally I don't care a CAP @ 42 or 45. I think it's ok both ways but the owners so far just doesn't want a cap. They want EVERYTHING. The entry level cap, a 4 year starting contrat, staying UFA @ 31 or 30. QO's @ 75%, no increase in the cap even if the MAKE HUGE PROFIT, no revenue sharing even if TORONTO for example go from 20M$ to 60M$ of profit with a cap.

The owner's vision is just to crush to PA & that is awful negociation & will just lead to weakened the NHL as a sport.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Russian Fan said:
I just don't see why they should ''suck it up'' to owners who are not willing to budge on anything. Fans perceive this as a true statement on how bad the economics are & I think it's all related to the P.R. the owners/Bettman/Daly did so far.

They spend too much time to give the fans what they want to hear instead of really getting it done.

Everyone blame Goodenow here but what he did so far was brilliant if you ask me. He did everything in order the NHL can't go into the impasse stuff by removing the ''philosophical differences'' slash/CAP vs NO CAP.

P.S to you personally DR, I understand that you can be tired to be in the minority here, it's exhausting.

The NHL can't get impasse now because both sides still seem to be giving ground. However the NHL can still bargain to impasse on other issues. The NHL can still bargain to impasse on the actual amount of the cap (which will come back to $40m now). What is Goodenow going to do, cave to $40m or $42.5m (if its still on the table) just to stop impasse?

So lets see, he'll screw the season, screw his players, screw the fans, screw the history of the game and then cave to $40m (just to stop impasse) when he could have had $42.5m or possibly $45m? When he could have had a stronger position on other issues by being seen to concede ground on the cap. When he could have his players back earning money.

FAN*F__ING*TASTIC PLAN....

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Russian Fan said:
You see it only as the #'$ of the cap but this negociation is far more than that.

I don't know how you perceive me as a poster but personnally I don't care a CAP @ 42 or 45. I think it's ok both ways but the owners so far just doesn't want a cap. They want EVERYTHING. The entry level cap, a 4 year starting contrat, staying UFA @ 31 or 30. QO's @ 75%, no increase in the cap even if the MAKE HUGE PROFIT, no revenue sharing even if TORONTO for example go from 20M$ to 60M$ of profit with a cap.

The owner's vision is just to crush to PA & that is awful negociation & will just lead to weakened the NHL as a sport.
yes it might be the owners want everything and are being jerkoffs in an attempt to crush the union. guess what, they are going to crush the union anyway. so why not take your lumps and at least negotiate your best deal instead of having it rammed down your throat AND losing 2billion or so in the process.

dr

Insanity

Feb 11, 2005
Russian Fan said:

Hmm.. They aren't... started at $31M cap tied to revenues.. went to a $42M cap not linked... That is movement :)

There is a fundamental issue that I have with the players: They are circling everytime the owners make a move to get closer. Example 1: The triggers. Why did the players not negotiate the triggers? Instead they said no. Example 2: The salary cap - both had no cap linkage and then all of the sudden, the players put upward mobility into it. Changing philosophies like that is a sure sign of negotiating in bad faith.

Neither side should get "everything" .. but at tihs point, they are getting the same thing -- nothing.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
me2 said:
The NHL can't get impasse now because both sides still seem to be giving ground. However the NHL can still bargain to impasse on other issues. The NHL can still bargain to impasse on the actual amount of the cap (which will come back to $40m now). What is Goodenow going to do, cave to $40m or $42.5m (if its still on the table) just to stop impasse?

So lets see, he'll screw the season, screw his players, screw the fans, screw the history of the game and then cave to $40m (just to stop impasse) when he could have had $42.5m or possibly $45m? When he could have had a stronger position on other issues by being seen to concede ground on the cap. When he could have his players back earning money.

FAN*F__ING*TASTIC PLAN....

I understand everything you said but unfortunately it NEVER WAS ABOUT THE FAN & FROM BOTH SIDES. I can understand if you're pro-owner for some reasons but when 70% of the pro-owners believe it's for the FANS & for the game it's very naive from them.

To get back on impasse, do you know what IMPASSE is ? You get it or you don't , as simple as that. You won't called impasse for some subject.

Right now the OWNERS doesn't have what it takes to get impasse so either they start getting a deal the PA would think is fair (& PLEASE fair doesn't mean EVERYTHING ON THE PA's side. It could be fair with a cap but giving some ''bones'' to the PA to make an agreement'')

Brent Burns Beard