I am Setsuna (JRPG) - PS4/PC

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I love the idea of it, but from everyone whose opinions I respect with JRPGs it seems to be in the camp of good, but not great.

I'll wait for it to go down in price...but hell yes to old school JRPGs.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
It's Chrono Trigger without most of the good things about Chrono Trigger.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
This game might be one of the best games of this generation.

I remember just catching Squeenix's livestream at E3 just in time to catch it in the trailer reel they were showing and it caught my interest. Ended up preordering it and went on a marathon after I was able to download it.

It punches you in the heart right from the start and it just doesn't stop. I got pretty far into it in two days, really hard to put it down. Definitely one of the best games on the system. The music is excellent too, and it really adds to that getting punched in the heart feeling.

Can't say there's anything I don't like about this game, it will definitely end up in my all time favourites list.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Played 2 hours today, really enjoying it.

Only thing I was a bit let down about is that there is ZERO voice acting at all, kinda was expecting there to be with that trailer.. You can have the charactors grunt and stuff during battle but its all Japanese which ruins the game, so I turned those voices off.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
So, how is this? How long is it? Any side quests to do? I'm just wondering because I hold myself to a strict dollar or lower per hour, so it'll need to be 30 hours before I get it, and I'm aware it's 40 dollars but I'm sure it'll go on sale before FFXV comes out, hopefully

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
So, how is this? How long is it? Any side quests to do? I'm just wondering because I hold myself to a strict dollar or lower per hour, so it'll need to be 30 hours before I get it, and I'm aware it's 40 dollars but I'm sure it'll go on sale before FFXV comes out, hopefully

According to IGN's review it's only about 20 hours - but they were also factually wrong in that review about HP/MP being the only thing that rises when you level....so who knows.

I'm probably about 5 hours in so far and enjoying it. Fantastic music as FlyLine said above and the story so far has been plenty to draw me in. Haven't come across any side quests yet.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
The price is holding me back a little.

Which is really funny because I have the worst hunger for a GOOD JRPG (Not even sure those exist anymore) and by all accounts this is a good game

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The price is holding me back a little.

Which is really funny because I have the worst hunger for a GOOD JRPG (Not even sure those exist anymore) and by all accounts this is a good game

Steam is starting to get a pretty good collection of JRPG's, though you have to sort out a lot of cheap RPGMaker titles and a rising number of maybe decent quality but targeted towards that adolescent male anime fan audience. But there are a lot of good games being ported to Steam, the best one being in my opinion Trails in the Sky.

Still haven't gotten to I am Setsuna just yet, trying to finish of Tales of Zestria... which after a decent start has been a bit disappointing.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I agree on Zestria, i have no idea why I gave up on it, it's much better game than Star Ocean (not the newest one) but I finished that POS for some reason, I dunno, I'll go back to it someday.

And agreed on the price of Setsuna, 40 bucks is a tough pill to swallow right now, I'll bite on 30...for now I can break out with the Valyria Chronicles that came out a few months ago

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
This is so good. I absolutely love this game.

It'd def be sitting at number 1 on my top 10 if Firewatch hadn't come out this year.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Anyone got some tips for the Fridging Caves boss?

I got stuck there and gave up. Just absolutely obliterates your party in a few turns.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Anyone got some tips for the Fridging Caves boss?

I got stuck there and gave up. Just absolutely obliterates your party in a few turns.
Level ;)

In all seriousness, if its the same boss I'm thinking of he ****ed me up too at first. Try using defensive buff spells and weakening de-buff spells.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad