Friedman: "I always wonder about Detroit whenever a top defender is available"

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Everyone saying this is nuts and a bad idea, This has Holland all over it!!! I can see AA and Mrazek going and a 5 year deal with a ntc for incoming older always hurt player. I have no faith in the management of this team at all none.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Detroit plan for this season should be:

1. Deal Green for futures
2. Deal Nyquist for futures
3. Deal Mrazek if he isn't in the team's future plans

Head into the off-season with lots of extra picks in the draft and some cap space to resign Larkin & Mantha & add a veteran Dman on a short term deal to bridge the gap before prospects are ready.

After stocking the cupboards in the 2018 & 19 drafts they could start to turn the ship around.

Does mrazek even really hold any value besides a late pick? Pretty large cap hit for pretty poor numbers and his qualifying offer as a RFA is likely still too much for his worth as an NHL backup

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I've always wondered why ducks quack. Then I found out the majority of duck breeds don't quack at all. They croak. Now I just need 30 more thoughts.

Eventually, Friedman will figure out that Holland has been incapable of trading for a top defender. Its been almost 20 years, and thats if you even considered Chelios a top defender back in 1999.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Everyone saying this is nuts and a bad idea, This has Holland all over it!!! I can see AA and Mrazek going and a 5 year deal with a ntc for incoming older always hurt player. I have no faith in the management of this team at all none.

That'd make sense if not for the fact that this says "Top defender" and you're talking about an "Older always hurt player".

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
That'd make sense if not for the fact that this says "Top defender" and you're talking about an "Older always hurt player".
Kronwall, Big E, Modano, Alfredsson, Wiess, That's just off the top of my head, oh and Latang is back on IR as of about a hr ago retroactive the 24th of this month, and hes on the wrong side of 29.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Kronwall, Big E, Modano, Alfredsson, Wiess, That's just off the top of my head, oh and Latang is back on IR as of about a hr ago retroactive the 24th of this month, and hes on the wrong side of 29.

Kronwall and Ericsson are both Red Wings' draft picks and hardly apply. Assigned from that both were signed back when they were still on the right side of 30. Horrible examples.

Modano and Alfredsson were signed for peanuts. Weiss... That was pretty horrible.

But seeing as how none of the guys you mentioned were acquired via trade, nor are they top defenders, I hardly see how it applies here.

... And we wont begin on how Letang's cap hit is almost completely undoable for Detroit.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Does mrazek even really hold any value besides a late pick? Pretty large cap hit for pretty poor numbers and his qualifying offer as a RFA is likely still too much for his worth as an NHL backup
I wouldn't be giving up anything significant for Mrazek knowing that if I wait he'll end up being an UFA. I think there's a possibilty that he ends up in Europe, not sure he'd be keen on signing as a back-up for a couple million.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I wouldn't be giving up anything significant for Mrazek knowing that if I wait he'll end up being an UFA. I think there's a possibilty that he ends up in Europe, not sure he'd be keen on signing as a back-up for a couple million.

I agree

I would almost guarantee he doesn't get a QO

No reason Detroit should offer it. Nobody will offer sheet him. Negotiate a discount or let him sign for peanuts and one year deals or go to Europe

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Obviously the idea for the Wings should be moving out salary, in order to hold onto their youth.

Zetterberg(3 [email protected])
Howard(1 [email protected])
Svechnikov

For

Backlund([email protected])
Brouwer(2 [email protected])
Rittich/Gillies
Or
Backlund([email protected])
Brouwer(2 [email protected])
Lack([email protected])
Kylington

Wings free up the cap space to extend all the kids and get young goalie prospect, with the option to extend Backlund.

Flames get great veteran leadership, in a replacement for Backlund and a good RW prospect. We also get out of the Brouwer contract a year earlier.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I agree

I would almost guarantee he doesn't get a QO

No reason Detroit should offer it. Nobody will offer sheet him. Negotiate a discount or let him sign for peanuts and one year deals or go to Europe
Yup. For how good he looked for 80ish games a couple seasons ago, he has looked pretty bad since. Last year he was AHL level. He's a project / gamble at this point. He's still young enough to polish his game it's just a question of where and if he does.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Hamilton/Brodie for Mantha and your 1st or Larkin.

StoneColdLaugh.gif

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Holland has a new owner. Owners often require consultation for taking on contracts that require that much monetary exercise. This may have Holland all over it, but it doesn't have Chris Illitch all over it. Especially when Little Illitch hasn't even decided whether he wants to hang on to Kenny.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
which defender has the most value on the wings besides green

Sadly, probably Daley. Fair salary for what he is, would look a lot better in an adequate puck possession system (or even on a team that had any transition game whatsoever), good size and health, and has experience with a variety of systems. Besides that, its Dekeyser who is below average but terrible when you consider his salary, and Ericsson who has actually been surprisingly solid but has a well-publicized (and serious) injury history, has a bad contract, and isn't a good fit for the modern NHL.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I still think a deal around: Green (enough salary retained to make the deal work), Nyqusit or Tatar, and a Conditional 2019 1st (Lottery protected, becomes a 2nd if protection activates) for Letang...isn't so terrible.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
which defender has the most value on the wings besides green

As was said above, probably Daley.

Ericsson and Kronwall are worthless. (I'll give Kronwall the credit of saying that its' due to age and wear on his knees)

DeKeyser may be serviceable on a better team where he's not relied on as heavily. But do you really want to pay $5M for that?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I still think a deal around: Green (enough salary retained to make the deal work), Nyqusit or Tatar, and a Conditional 2019 1st (Lottery protected, becomes a 2nd if protection activates) for Letang...isn't so terrible.

This is 2017 not 2011, and that's a horrible deal regardless.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
This is 2017 not 2011, and that's a horrible deal regardless.
How is it horrible? Detroit would be getting a side-grade on D...lose a salary that hasn't been productive for them and won't be around when they're competitive again, and have money to re-sign Mantha/Larkin.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
In my opinion...trading off Green for what will probably end up being a late 1st or early 2nd, doesn't solve our problems. At least getting Letang in that deal, bridges a gap, and keeps Holland from overpaying on a d-man of lesser quality. The worst that can happen is that Letang goes on LTIR for the rest of his career and Detroit loses a winger and a 2019 draft pick. Maybe Detroit could get an insurance pick if Letang turns that way.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
How is it horrible? Detroit would be getting a side-grade on D...lose a salary that hasn't been productive for them and won't be around when they're competitive again, and have money to re-sign Mantha/Larkin.

Let's break this down. Detroit, a team who, regardless of not wanting to admit it to their fan base and lose out on ticket sales, is rebuilding, gives up:

Green - Will fetch a 1st+ at the deadline. Has to be moved because the team doesn't have the money to re-sign him.
Nyquist or Tatar - Can likely fetch a 2nd+, maybe even a 1st if you find a team desperate enough at the deadline.
2019 1st - Guaranteed to be top 10 with or without Letang. And I don't care if there's a protect or defer option, 2020 will be top 10 as well.

To acquire Kris Letang, a 30 year old injury-prone defender who just had a stroke. Best case scenario, even if he has a long and healthy career he's of no use to Detroit as he'll be riding off into the sunset by the time they're competitive. Worst case scenario, he continues his trend of injuries and health problems and is of little help to Detroit while they've sold off draft picks and assets that could've been used to acquire draft picks.

I'm not saying Ken Holland wouldn't do it, because I honestly can't figure out what the hell that guy has been doing for the last 5 years. But if he did, that should be the straw that breaks the camel's back to send his ass packing.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If Erik Karlsson ever reaches free agency you better believe Detroit will be all over that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00