Friedman: "I always wonder about Detroit whenever a top defender is available"

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Have zero hope in getting Dahlin honestly. Knowing our teams luck lately we'll be okay to get in the wild card position and not bad enough to have a shot at Dahlin.

Obviously the lottery is one thing that is complete luck, but I think this is a legit bottom 5 team. They had a hot start the first month of the season and registered as a playoff team for a brief moment due to a combination of extra games played, a horrible division, and overachieving. I think when it really comes down to it they're a true bottom five team. Arguably bottom 3.

Since Nov. 9, records and PPG of the bottom 10 teams in the league:

Florida: 11-8-3 (1.14)
Edmonton: 12-10-1 (1.09)
Philadelphia: 8-7-6 (1.05)
Montreal: 9-9-3 (1.00)
Colorado: 9-10-3 (.96)
Detroit: 5-7-6 (.89)
Vancouver: 7-12-3 (.77)
Phoenix: 7-12-3 (.77)
Buffalo: 4-12-6 (.64)
Ottawa: 5-13-3 (.62)

I still get the feeling that Ottawa is not nearly as bad as their record indicates. I think eventually they rebound and leave Detroit/Buffalo/Phoenix to fight for better odds. Obviously Detroit has a decent lead on the other two teams but with over half a season to go, that can change. (Or it could change the other way, to be fair)

... And if Detroit starts selling like they should, they'll only get worse.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
They're not in a precarious position at all. You tear it down now and rebuild over the next 3-5 years, or you keep pretending you're competitive and spend 7-10 years in the hockey hell where you're not good enough to make the playoffs but not bad enough to draft top tier talent.

Hey look at the Canucks,

Our GM is an Idiot, our luck in the lottery abysmal, our owner delusional

But somehow, this year, Horvat and Boesser made this a team that was going to be in the playoffs,

THANK GOD HORVAT GOT HURT, the fact that we sank to the bottom as soon as he was out is proof enough we need more blue chip draft talent, and because he did I think we will get it,

But, think about it, we didn't even draft well, but somehow, someway, rebuilding happened in spite of dummy's at the wheel

As long as Detroit doesn't trade it's first rounders SOMETHING will start to happen, I'd even say that Larkin is the first piece of that puzzle

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
The fans aren’t running the joint though. Detroit does make some strange decisions.

I'm telling you, they are just standing pat till Yzerman can take over, they've had it planned this way for years

Tampa has been their GM farm team

Can't Yzerman make the jump this summer?

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
There's not much to tear down at this point. The only guys with trade value are a guy we literally don't have the cap space to re-sign in Green, and two mediocre wingers, which is the only position we're somewhat healthy in.

Ahh depth at wing.......the WORST thing an NHL team can boast as it's best feature....well maybe a superstar goaltender is worse.

That stupid "build from the net out" philosophy is finally dead and buried, soon the "It's all about the Defense...MOVE THAT PUCK" mode of team building will as well,

The ONLY way to build a cup team:

CENTER ICE

Stack your team at center, then do it again, then go back for thirds

NO ONE has more of an effect on his team's fortune than a center,

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Wings are past the point of trading for a high-end d-man. They've been drafting 10+ d-men in the last few drafts, they're looking at top ~3 lottery odds in '18 which is a draft with good d-men in the top 10, and they don't have the surplus assets (yet) to make any big splash trades. They're not as bad off as people in this thread say but throwing assets at a Letang is exactly the type of move that could put major, major speed bumps in place for the rebuild. They just need to stay patient for a few years and rebuild through the draft.

Reactions: Mork

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
I'm telling you, they are just standing pat till Yzerman can take over, they've had it planned this way for years

Why would he leave the team he’s literally built from scratch and turned into a serious cup contender to go to Detroit and have to try and fix a terrible roster that has NINE players with some form of a No-Trade or No-move clause in effect?

Reactions: Seanaconda

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Nothing for Detroit to do but hope for high draft picks for the next few years.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Would love to see them give up Mantha/Larkin and a top 5 pick to get one.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
would a top defender make Detroit an instant winner considering what they'd have to give up to get one? nobody's going to take castoffs and the Wings 1st rounder and give up a top d-man. not going to happen. the Wings should continue to rebuild and see if they can sign a UFA like John Carlson for free should he make it to free agency.
Bingo.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Sure hope he's not talking about Letang, as that would make no sense whatsoever for Detroit.

The last thing they need is another defenseman who is old, declining, injury prone, and with a high cap hit. Although now that I type it out, that sounds exactly like the type of player Holland goes after.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Honestly, under a certain age, Detroit should be in the market for pretty much everything.

A lot of good, not great prospects in the pipeline has the immediate to long term outlook of this team so grim (on top of the contracts and cap issues currently)

Detroit needs a star to build around and I dont think Larkin, Mantha, or Svehnikov are that for the red wings. They are nice pieces, but I feel if those are the guys you are building around, Detroit will be a bad to mediocre team for a long time
If I'm Detroit, I wait until the draft to see who drafts Svechnikov. Then trade Svechnikov to that team to reunite the brothers and take a good defenseman as return.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015

Why in the hell would yzerman leave a jet set team in Tampa? They are locked and loaded to be contenders for the next 5 years easily

He would be walking into arguably the worst shape franchise in the league, for what? Nostalgia?

Thats the definition of going penthouse to outhouse

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Detroit plan for this season should be:

1. Deal Green for futures
2. Deal Nyquist for futures
3. Deal Mrazek if he isn't in the team's future plans

Head into the off-season with lots of extra picks in the draft and some cap space to resign Larkin & Mantha & add a veteran Dman on a short term deal to bridge the gap before prospects are ready.

After stocking the cupboards in the 2018 & 19 drafts they could start to turn the ship around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad