Friedman: "I always wonder about Detroit whenever a top defender is available"

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
If Erik Karlsson ever reaches free agency you better believe Detroit will be all over that.

He wont. And Karlsson probably doesn't look at them twice. He'll be able to get as much money as Detroit would offer with a better chance at winning.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
He wont. And Karlsson probably doesn't look at them twice. He'll be able to get as much money as Detroit would offer with a better chance at winning.

Where Ottawa? The fishbowl which is Toronto? He’ll likely sign with someone like isle than stay in Canada

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Detroit would absolutely be on his short list of teams. Assuming he wants to stay in the East, his list of teams that he could realistically sign with for $9+ million a year after next season is Detroit, Pittsburgh, Boston, NY Rangers, Washington and Philadelphia.

That said, I still think he returns to Ottawa.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
They're not in a precarious position at all. You tear it down now and rebuild over the next 3-5 years, or you keep pretending you're competitive and spend 7-10 years in the hockey hell where you're not good enough to make the playoffs but not bad enough to draft top tier talent.

This comment makes no sense. Already this year the Wings are likely going to be in position to draft top tier talent and they didn’t have to trade the entire team to do so.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
This comment makes no sense. Already this year the Wings are likely going to be in position to draft top tier talent and they didn’t have to trade the entire team to do so.

What doesn't make sense about it? If they try to be competitive and end up picking somewhere between 7 and 14 in the next few years, they're a lot less likely to get a few elite players than they would by tearing it down and getting top 3 picks.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
What doesn't make sense about it? If they try to be competitive and end up picking somewhere between 7 and 14 in the next few years, they're a lot less likely to get a few elite players than they would by tearing it down and getting top 3 picks.

That's so much easier said than done IMO.

Tearing it down works alot better when you've got some pickaxes to work with. Not a bunch of toothpicks like all our long, crappy contracts amount to.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
That's so much easier said than done IMO.

Tearing it down works alot better when you've got some pickaxes to work with. Not a bunch of toothpicks like all our long, crappy contracts amount to.

Green will grab a first provided he's not injured by the time the deadline hits. I think Nyquist or Tatar could potentially bring a first if somebody's desperate enough to add a winger.

Do that and you've got 5 picks in the top 40 next year. (I'm assuming neither Detroit or Ottawa crawls out of the bottom 10) In this draft, the potential of that could put this team lightyears ahead of where it currently is.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Obviously the idea for the Wings should be moving out salary, in order to hold onto their youth.

Zetterberg(3 [email protected])
Howard(1 [email protected])
Svechnikov

For

Backlund([email protected])
Brouwer(2 [email protected])
Rittich/Gillies
Or
Backlund([email protected])
Brouwer(2 [email protected])
Lack([email protected])
Kylington

Wings free up the cap space to extend all the kids and get young goalie prospect, with the option to extend Backlund.

Flames get great veteran leadership, in a replacement for Backlund and a good RW prospect. We also get out of the Brouwer contract a year earlier.
Yeah Howard isn't waiving for Calgary and Zetterberg to Calgary would be a cap recapture penalty waiting to happen as there is no way Zetterberg is playing in Calgary. If you're going to deal Z at least deal him to a team that has a great shot at winning the cup like the Penguins that could make him their #3C or something like that.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Green will grab a first provided he's not injured by the time the deadline hits. I think Nyquist or Tatar could potentially bring a first if somebody's desperate enough to add a winger.

Do that and you've got 5 picks in the top 40 next year. (I'm assuming neither Detroit or Ottawa crawls out of the bottom 10) In this draft, the potential of that could put this team lightyears ahead of where it currently is.

Sorry, I thought you said tear it down. Trading Green, Tatar and Gus isn't tearing it down. Its just trading the only actual trade chips we have that could possibly net us anything close to a decent return.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

They're a bottom 3-4 team in the NHL right now. Should they trade some players off their roster for picks....of course. But as built, they don't even need to tear anything down for a top 3 pick (or at least the best odds at one, nothing is guaranteed with the lottery). What aren't you understanding about that?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
This would be really stupid for Detroit at this point. They would have to give up either Mantha, Larkin, or their 2018 1st rounder + more in any deal for a defensemen that (alone) isn't going to do anything to make them competitive. They need to stick with the younger players they have, let bad contracts fall off the books over the next few years, and make their top draft picks really count.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
"I always wonder about Detroit"....When's the last time Detroit traded for a top defenseman? Mathieu Schneider in 2003? Or do you want to count Brad Stuart in 2008?

Or dare I say Quincey in 2012?

But yea, thanks for reminding me how I completely glossed over the Schneider trade.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
They're a bottom 3-4 team in the NHL right now. Should they trade some players off their roster for picks....of course. But as built, they don't even need to tear anything down for a top 3 pick (or at least the best odds at one, nothing is guaranteed with the lottery). What aren't you understanding about that?

You seem to think we're securely in the bottom three when we're not. There's literally a 5 point spread for us to be out of the top 10. What aren't you understanding about that?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
In my opinion...trading off Green for what will probably end up being a late 1st or early 2nd, doesn't solve our problems. At least getting Letang in that deal, bridges a gap, and keeps Holland from overpaying on a d-man of lesser quality. The worst that can happen is that Letang goes on LTIR for the rest of his career and Detroit loses a winger and a 2019 draft pick. Maybe Detroit could get an insurance pick if Letang turns that way.

Wait, you were really being serious? WTF, seriously?

/facepalm

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Wait, you were really being serious? WTF, seriously?

/facepalm
So here's the thing. If you're talking about a potential trade versus what I think should ACTUALLY take place? Then you need to ask that instead of assuming it. My assumption is that Friedman was serious on the idea that Detroit might be in on it. So if Detroit IS committed to making the trade, under what circumstances do I "THINK" such a trade would occur.

It's called objectivity, something that I know is in rare supply.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
No interest whatsoever in letang

I do elieve Detroit would or will be in on Karlsson. The Swedish connection, the Alfie connection the hx of a commitment to winning. If he hits free agency few teams will have both the cap space and environent to match Detroit.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
No interest whatsoever in letang

I do elieve Detroit would or will be in on Karlsson. The Swedish connection, the Alfie connection the hx of a commitment to winning. If he hits free agency few teams will have both the cap space and environent to match Detroit.

Only chance Detroit has the cap space is if the cap rises as expected, and in that case lots of teams could make the space.

And Karlsson was very angry about the whole situation with Alfredsson, that's probably not going to help.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Only chance Detroit has the cap space is if the cap rises as expected, and in that case lots of teams could make the space.

And Karlsson was very angry about the whole situation with Alfredsson, that's probably not going to help.

detroit will have cleared enough cap space by July 2019 with impending UFA's this year and next and likely LTIR useage(whether one likes it or not)

Alffie did nothing but PRAISE the DRW, its the OS that he has or likely has hard feelings for(melynk)

Not saying it will happen, but the DRW are probably among the 4-6 teams with legit chances should he make it to free agency

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
You seem to think we're securely in the bottom three when we're not. There's literally a 5 point spread for us to be out of the top 10. What aren't you understanding about that?

There may be one really really bad team ahead of the pack (Coyotes this year, Avalanche last year) but after that the point spread isn't going to be huge. It's a league of parity, this is nothing new or something that is going to be avoided.

The Wings are as bad as anyone in the league minus the Coyotes. If the only way you think your team can get a top draft pick is to become historically bad like them, maybe you should just become a Coyotes fan.

The problem isn't that the Wings aren't bad enough as is for a top draft pick, the problem is there are lots of bad teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad