I’m watching ESPN Sportscenter in Greece for NHL Highlights

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
It’s 1:40pm here in Greece. I’m watching Sportscenter. 40 minutes in, 41 now, and it’s:

Pats/Bills highlights
-interviews and reports from the game

Raiders/Bengals highlights
-interviews and report from the game

Djokivic news

College basketball highlights

Multiple NBA highlights

Preds/Bruins highlights

Previews of todays NFL games

So, 13 NHL games last night, and they show one game highlights. I know this is nothing new, but I would think they’d want to promote the sport they broadcast just a little bit more this time around. It’s f’ng ridiculous.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Even pre-lockout they barely showed NHL. If it was football season it was not at all.

I mean, many games are thrown to their streaming service as it is. I'm actually surprised they wanted the game back, they've got a lot else on their plate.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
The nhl does a terrible job of marketing it product and a even worse job of marketing it stars ESPN is just following the course

Reactions: vancityluongo

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I knew the return of nhl on espn wouldn't be all that. A lot of the broadcasters and commentators suck. The broadcast quality is frequently bad. Those games that are exclusively available on the streaming app and not televised, also suck.

Everyone complained about NBC, I would take them back in a heartbeat right now.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I knew the return of nhl on espn wouldn't be all that. A lot of the broadcasters and commentators suck. The broadcast quality is frequently bad. Those games that are exclusively available on the streaming app and not televised, also suck.

Id take back the NHL app back, over the crap ESPN player. Its ridiculous that I have to stream from my iPhone or iPad, to my Apple TV, just to watch the game.

Reactions: Leksand

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

The NHL would get bad coverage anywhere because they don’t know how to make anyone think they have a compelling product.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It’s 1:40pm here in Greece. I’m watching Sportscenter. 40 minutes in, 41 now, and it’s:

Pats/Bills highlights
-interviews and reports from the game

Raiders/Bengals highlights
-interviews and report from the game

Djokivic news

College basketball highlights

Multiple NBA highlights

Preds/Bruins highlights

Previews of todays NFL games

So, 13 NHL games last night, and they show one game highlights. I know this is nothing new, but I would think they’d want to promote the sport they broadcast just a little bit more this time around. It’s f’ng ridiculous.

And it’s always going to be Bruins highlights because ESPN is near Boston.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
What you listed is pretty much the order in which North American fans care about these events.

Was the Panthers-Carolina game the other night not exciting? Two of the top three teams in the league. Canes come back to force OT, with a slick winner by Duclair. Was it mentioned on Sportscenter at all? Nope.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
The NHL has gotten a ton more coverage on Sportcenter this season than before, but on these NFL playoff weekends they are going to get squeezed out with the NFL taking over half the time

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
It's NFL playoffs time. ESPN never cared about hockey and never will, even if they are broadcasting the games. I remember the early 2000's and it was the same thing. Honestly, it isn't worth getting upset about. The richest league in the world is having their postseason. Just accept it and hold your complaints until after the Super Bowl.

Reactions: Sean Garrity
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Was the Panthers-Carolina game the other night not exciting? Two of the top three teams in the league. Canes come back to force OT, with a slick winner by Duclair. Was it mentioned on Sportscenter at all? Nope.

You are talking storylines that non-fans don't care about. And Panthers/Carolina is a double whammy of places and teams nobody cares about.

I don't say this to be patronizing, but this is just the way it is. Why does this surprise and bother you?

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
You are talking storylines that non-fans don't care about. And Panthers/Carolina is a double whammy of places and teams nobody cares about.

I don't say this to be patronizing, but this is just the way it is. Why does this surprise and bother you?

Doesnt surprise me at all. I’m 43, and I remember the embarrassment which was the first time the NHL was on ESPN. I know we aren’t the most popular sport, It’s just annoying. It is what it is though.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Espn had Joe Smith jr defending his light heavy weight title last night, and no mention of it during sportscenter? Atleast the nhl got a mention, lol

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Doesnt surprise me at all. I’m 43, and I remember the embarrassment which was the first time the NHL was on ESPN. I know we aren’t the most popular sport, It’s just annoying. It is what it is though.

My man, this thread reads like a guy at a beach side bar in a beautiful place missing his favorite sport. I feel you. I live abroad and can't talk hockey with anyone in real life, so that bit of "back home" failing you sucks.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
My man, this thread reads like a guy at a beach side bar in a beautiful place missing his favorite sport. I feel you. I live abroad and can't talk hockey with anyone in real life, so that bit of "back home" failing you sucks.

Im in Greece, so I have this site, Reddit, and FB. That’s it. My fiancé, who is Greek, watches a bit with me sometimes, when I’m not watching games at 2 in the morning. So anything extra is a bonus for me.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It's the NFL playoffs and the Djokic news is worldwide news because tennis is one of the most followed sports in the world and it's a very unique situation. I don't think ESPN is doing themselves any favors with their NHL coverage so far, but I expect the second half of the NHL season to be shown quite a bit more. Football is king in this country.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What you listed is pretty much the order in which North American fans care about these events.
It's a bit of a chicken and egg thing, tbh.

When I was a kid, I got my sports fill by watching TSN, Sportsnet and the Score... basically the three Canadian equivalents. I became interested in every sport shown on those shows as a result. At the time, I had a favourite football team, because that was one of the sports they showed. If there was a football game on when I was watching TV, I'd watch with interest. Simply having that sport shown to me with people talking about it made me interested in the sport.

Nowadays, I couldn't name more than a half dozen NFL players, since I now get sports entertainment from the more a la cart method of the internet. I don't really know anyone who talks about the NFL, and I don't really come in contact with it at any point in my day. And it turns out that, as an adult, I don't have any interest level at all in the NFL.

To me, the argument "they aren't interested, so let's not show it" is backwards. ESPN has a substantial amount to gain from people becoming interested in a sport over which they have exclusive national broadcasting rights. So would it not make more sense to say "they aren't interested yet, so let's show it more"?

Reactions: ShonSaunders
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Im in Greece, so I have this site, Reddit, and FB. That’s it. My fiancé, who is Greek, watches a bit with me sometimes, when I’m not watching games at 2 in the morning. So anything extra is a bonus for me.

I'm in Korea. The time difference and work/family schedule makes it nearly impossible to watch games. There isn't a breathing human in my life who is interested in talking sports, let alone hockey. I feel your pain.

Now just to help mold my child into my sports watching mate.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
If it was Rangers-Bruins or Flyers-Penguins then they might have showed it. Unfortunately, Carolina and Florida are two of the least popular teams across the country. It's also Wild Card Weekend so of course that's going to be the main focus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad