Pre-Game Talk: I’ll Wait: Sens in YEG @ 8pm Jan 6 2024 on HNIC

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I got a buddy from NS who lives in Gdansk now. Met a girl on Oil Rigs and moved there. He likes it there. Only problem is they are very close to Russia so people r kinda on edge .
I envy this. your buddy met a gal on the Oil rigs? All that pay AND women at work you can meet? lol back in the day this just wasn't the case. Be going to the bar after the week with a bunch of sweaty gorillas.

Never had this going on in a job site when I was young..

1704514088867.png

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Agree. It should be high school curriculum to visit.

I plan on visiting the other 5 death camp sites too one day in Poland. I’m an amateur historian with keen interest in the interwar period, the rise of nazism in Germany and the Holocaust. Visited many of the concentration camp sites in Europe and Germany too.
My in-laws r 92 and from Holland. They lived thru the occupation. They r tough as nails. They were part of the underground and hid Jews . One story they told me is the Germans came into their town and took 600 men away. 12 made it back after the war. There is actually a book about it. I read it. They came to Canada after war to start new life. No such thing as welfare then. They registered as farmers in pier 21 in Halifax and settled in a small village and went right to work. Back then it was you work or basically u will starve . No handouts .

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I envy this. your buddy met a gal on the Oil rigs? All that pay AND women at work you can meet? lol back in the day this just wasn't the case. Be going to the bar after the week with a bunch of sweaty gorillas.
He was a crane operator on the high end rigs and I believe she is a medic. They r working ocean rigs
I worked land rigs in Saudi Arabia for Nabors Drilling. No women on those rigs. After 35 days in that environment, I couldn’t wait to have a drink in Bahrain. I’d get pretty drunk

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He was a crane operator on the high end rigs and I believe she is a medic. They r working ocean rigs
I worked land rigs in Saudi Arabia for Nabors Drilling. No women on those rigs. After 35 days in that environment, I couldn’t wait to have a drink in Bahrain. I’d get pretty drunk
I'd imagine that getting a person awfully thirsty. Used to pull 12hrs with Masonry crews working hot sun in summer time. Great for a tan, great for absorbing beer later. My only question is how one would STOP drinking after that. hehe

Crane Operator on the Ocean rigs. Man, mad respect for the level of skill involved. No joke but I would've become a crane operator but my eyesight was never 20/20. From a kid on being around construction sites I always wanted to be the guy on the crane. Then I developed eye problems. Oh well.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
An OT thread dedicated to sharing family stories and personal heritage would actually be a fun idea, especially during the off season. This kind of stuff fascinates me a lot.
My maternal great grandparents were from Ukraine.

When I was in tom thumb hockey in the mid 80s, before a practice he was driving me to, Grampa told me: ‘Eat your borscht…Wayne Gretzky has two bowls before every game.’
My family must be the only white people in all of Alberta that doesn't have any Ukrainian blood. :laugh: Dad's side is mainly British with a bit of Italian. Mom's side is British and Dutch.
My in-laws r 92 and from Holland. They lived thru the occupation. They r tough as nails. They were part of the underground and hid Jews . One story they told me is the Germans came into their town and took 600 men away. 12 made it back after the war. There is actually a book about it. I read it. They came to Canada after war to start new life. No such thing as welfare then. They registered as farmers in pier 21 in Halifax and settled in a small village and went right to work. Back then it was you work or basically u will starve . No handouts .
This touches me. My maternal grandma was born Dutch and was part Jewish. Her family was never caught though because they lived in a very secluded area when she was a little girl during the war.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Oilers are 7-3 last 10 games for 14 pts

Seattle?

8-0-2 for 18 pts

Shit like that annoys me

An OT thread dedicated to sharing family stories and personal heritage would actually be a fun idea, especially during the off season. This kind of stuff fascinates me a lot.

My family must be the only white people in all of Alberta that doesn't have any Ukrainian blood. :laugh: Dad's side is mainly British with a bit of Italian. Mom's side is British and Dutch.

This touches me. My maternal grandma was born Dutch and was part Jewish. Her family was never caught though because they lived in a very secluded area when she was a little girl during the war.

No Ukraine blood in me either.

Irish, German, English and Scottish.

I am the whitest white person alive

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
GDT is up

Huge bet made on Connor Brown scoring tonight. Read the OP to find out more!

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

Definitely tough times back then.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
When I worked for Bawden (eventually Nabors) I had a beautiful girl working on my crew as a Leasehand. My Derrickhand got lucky with her and had a lot of jealous righands wishing they were in his boots. He even married her for a while but it didn't last.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
When I worked for Bawden (eventually Nabors) I had a beautiful girl working on my crew as a Leasehand. My Derrickhand got lucky with her and had a lot of jealous righands wishing they were in his boots. He even married her for a while but it didn't last.
I think Nabors was probably the worst of the drilling companies to work for. I only worked land rigs from Fall 2005- Mar 2006. We had terrorism attack on Saudi Aramco near my rig so that was it for me. It worked out for the best. I got home , drove out to Edmonton, witnessed the Oilers march to the finals that year and I witnessed GM 3 SCF live. What a party. I still get vibes thinking about it.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I'd imagine that getting a person awfully thirsty. Used to pull 12hrs with Masonry crews working hot sun in summer time. Great for a tan, great for absorbing beer later. My only question is how one would STOP drinking after that. hehe

Crane Operator on the Ocean rigs. Man, mad respect for the level of skill involved. No joke but I would've become a crane operator but my eyesight was never 20/20. From a kid on being around construction sites I always wanted to be the guy on the crane. Then I developed eye problems. Oh well.
Lot of the fellas started on the rigs of Nova Scotia for Rowan. When that work dried up, they had to work elsewhere. Lots of work if u wanna move around. I hated working in the Middle East. It’s a very sketchy area. I don’t wanna start a debate on here but I seen shit over there that should never happen here.

Imagine being the only lady on the fishing boat?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Sens on a losing streak and are going to come out hard to start so Oilers better not take them lightly. Funny how Sens play at 8pm but you would never see Leafs or Habs start here at that time.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
GDT is up

Huge bet made on Connor Brown scoring tonight. Read the OP to find out more!
Do u play the proline?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sens on a losing streak and are going to come out hard to start so Oilers better not take them lightly. Funny how Sens play at 8pm but you would never see Leafs or Habs start here at that time.
Its required to be the latest possible start and longest possible again interval between games because its the OIlers.

Still amazed we've only played 35 games with still 47 left. What a ridiculous schedule. Its Jan6.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I agree that these next 10 games are going to say a lot about where the team ends up. But I don't think that there schedule beyond that is all that tough. They have a fair number of softer games for pretty much the rest of the year.
I haven’t looked at the remaining schedule after January but by memory we must be finished or very close to finished with the Metropolitan division. We’ve struggled with those teams this year so not needing to worry about them anymore makes the schedule seem soft by comparison.

Feels like forever since we’ve played a game. Thought today would never get here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad