Hypothetically: Shanahan vs Lucic

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
I was sitting around thinking about this earlier and wanted some other opinions. Brendan Shanahan was one of the tougher, non-enforcer forwards in the league during his career. The same can be said about Lucic.

In regards to fighting, who do you think would come out on top?

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Lucic would have owned him. Shanny was a good fighter nothing special where Lucic is probably the best in his class. I don't think it's even realistically close.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Lucic would have owned him. Shanny was a good fighter nothing special where Lucic is probably the best in his class. I don't think it's even realistically close.

What class is that? Non-enforcer fighters? Then I might be inclined to agree with you. But Lucic isn't in the enforcer class. Neither was Shanny. Lucic is bigger and stronger, so Shanny would have trouble there. But Shanny was a better fighter than he's remembered for. He fought more enforcers than Lucic will ever be willing to fight (granted there aren't that many anymore)

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
Shanny was fearless.

When he skated out to center ice to deal with Brashear. A man much much larger than him. I still remember that. Hell Shanny recently said that doing that has basically meant he never buys a beer in NYC

I think Lucic would get popped and then whine.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Honestly, I think this would be a close matchup. Could go either way.

They are very similar in size and fighting ability.

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
I don't know. Shanahan had some pretty good tilts against legit tough guys in his day. Just some from his Red Wings days.

I think it would be a good fight(s).

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It would be a good series of fights. Shanahan would definitely at least hold his own.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Lucic would probably take 3/5 just from his size and weight advantage.

The fight series I'd like to see would be Lucic vs. Wendell Clark.

I think Lucic would beat Shanny pretty easily, he's just too big and strong. Shanny was a fighter who liked to keep it close when he gave up strength and size. I just think Lucic would be too strong.

Lucic vs Clark? that would be some fight. Clark was notorious for starting quickly and just throwing until it was done, Lucic again, I would say is stronger.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Shanny was fearless.

When he skated out to center ice to deal with Brashear. A man much much larger than him. I still remember that. Hell Shanny recently said that doing that has basically meant he never buys a beer in NYC

I think Lucic would get popped and then whine.

Or probably back off until the refs jump in.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Prime vs. Prime ?

Shanahan would tear Lucic apart.

Shanahan fought some of the toughest heavyweights in NHL history and did well.

Different times , Lucic wouldn't have been able to compete against the likes of Probie and McSorley.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
Prime vs. Prime ?

Shanahan would tear Lucic apart.

Shanahan fought some of the toughest heavyweights in NHL history and did well.

Different times , Lucic wouldn't have been able to compete against the likes of Probie and McSorley.
uhh...and Lucic didn't?

Probie in Chicago wasn't in his prime, McSorley in San Jose wasn't in his prime. And even if Shanahan did well he lost both those fights.

Last edited:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Lucic would never fight Shanahan in the 1st place and then if he did Shanny would easily beat him.

Lucic is a coward well known around the league. Shanny fought anyone.

I am 'surprised' how many chose pick his fights Lucic.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Lucic would never fight Shanahan in the 1st place and then if he did Shanny would easily beat him.

Lucic is a coward well known around the league. Shanny fought anyone.

I am 'surprised' how many chose pick his fights Lucic.

How?...

Explain yourself.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Didn't he run away from laraque?

Shanahan was a star/superstar player. Lucic is not.

Ah, typical response.

Lucic ran Laraque out of the NHL in all seriousness. Again, how is he a coward? You should be able to do better than that, not fighting Laraque makes him a coward?

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Ah, typical response.

Lucic ran Laraque out of the NHL in all seriousness. Again, how is he a coward? You should be able to do better than that, not fighting Laraque makes him a coward?

What about the time he hid behind the ref to avoid a further beating by Orr?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

Again, does that make him a coward? He shattered his nose in that fight to the heaviest handed puncher in the NHL. Is he a coward because Colton Orr, a 5 minute player asked him to fight and he accepted it? Truthfully, that fight was pretty damn even until Orr broke Lucic's face. Look at reality here a bit, bud.

Was he a coward when he went toe-to-toe with Luke Gazdic, Matt Carkner, John Erskine, Tom Sestito, Deryk Engelland, Krys Barch, Joel Rechlicz, Jay Rosehill, Jared Boll, Eric Boulton, Chris Neil? He's a superior player to all of those guys and probably has more goals than the entire group combined, or at least it has to be pretty close.

Name another 1st liner in the NHL right now with that type of fight card. You can't, so don't bother trying.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK

Lucic's nose was smashed and needed surgery because of it, anyone would have stopped fighting after that punch. He lost the fight to Orr, no shame in that, but a coward? Not sure you know what one is, try some objectiveness instead of hate, it will help you when you post.

I am a huge fan of Shanahan, he was tough but I think he loses this fight with Lucic. Sure he took on some big names but he fought those guys after their prime fighting days were done and Shanny lost all of them. Shanny would fight him no doubt but I have the feeling he would just hold on like he did in those 4 examples posted above.

Countryjunkie

Oct 17, 2014
Lucic would probably take 3/5 just from his size and weight advantage.

The fight series I'd like to see would be Lucic vs. Wendell Clark.

Wendel Clark would eat Lucic for lunch. Then again, back in those days, Lucic would have been considered a lightweight at best.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
You have to keep in mind the style of fighting in general was a lot different back then, too. It was wild, 9 times out of 10 you'd end up without a jersey on.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Ah, typical response.

Don't want to get into this argument, but how exactly did Lucic run Laraque out of the NHL?

Laraque did it to himself for poor play. Not sure what Lucic, or any other player had to do with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad