Proposal: Hypothetical-

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
people on this board --- from my perspective --- wildly over-value draft picks. Players who have already been drafted, developed over time and shown to be contributors are known commodities and their value is largely well known. A draft pick (20 years or younger) is still an unknown and the vast majority do not meet expectations. To think of trading Sharp, TT, Seabrook and Shaw for the #2 pick (as one poster suggests) is beyond absurd. If they asked for Seabrook and Shaw and our 2nd round pick I would say no. Seabrook is excellent. Shaw contributes. Eichel is an unknown. He may be awesome down the road or he may be merely very good to excellent (like... Seabrook) or he may, like so many, be but a contributor and nothing special. Let us not overvalue picks. For every pick that produces as one expects there are 4-5 picks that do not. Proven, developed players -- know what you are getting.

To me, this over-valuing of draft picks is just so much projecting onto a name (Eichel in this case) a quality of play you imagine of him (the next HOF guy). It is not rational. Picks do matter --- of course --- but you do not trade 5-6 known commodities (some of high value) for a pick!

Everything about this post is wrong. Top 2 picks don't bust.

Since the lockout all top 2 picks:
Ovechkin
Malkin
Crosby
Ryan
EJ
Staal
Kane
JVR
Stamkos
Doughty
Tavares
Hedman
Hall
Seguin
RNH
Landeskog
Yak
Murray
Mackinnon
Barkov
Ekblad
Reihart
... there are no busts on that list and probably 50% on pace for Hall of Fame careers. The value of a top 2 pick is pretty well established. You are getting a guaranteed all star with a realistic shot at a HOFer.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
no you don't get a guarantee

Stefan was #1 Overall
Jury is still out on some of those guys to become guaranteed All Stars.

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
This year the top two have a chance to be the best player in the game in five years. Its been said that the team that gets the best player wins the trade. If you are the gm of a team that is struggling enough that you can draft one of them you turn off your phone and ignore all offers. This is a chance to turn a franchise around.

Last edited:

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
Nothing is automatic. However, by all accounts Eichel and McDavid have a chance to be really special players. Not all drafts are like this one. Any Gm not taking them risks looking like a fool for years to come.

massey1984

Some Guy from the Chicago suburbs
Jun 2, 2009
McHenry County
Hawks get eliminated first round
Big changes coming.

They get an offer for the number 2 overall pick. Eichel from Buffalo.

What would you give up or what would it take to acquire him?

Toews
Eichel
Combo for 7 years.

I'd offer Saad, 2 1st round picks, and a D prospect for the 2nd overall and Foligno. I know they wouldn't bite, but Kane and Toews are untouchable at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad