Speculation: Hypothetical Trades

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Every now and then one of us comes up with a hypothetical trade, or wants to discuss a scenario. I thought it would be good to have a single thread for that.

To start the ball rolling ... with Lehner signed at Vegas, what would you guys think of having Fleury for two years at 7M? I’d be interested depending on what had to be given up in return. He’s still a damn good goalie and that might be the two years needed for 6K to make his way into the NHL.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
They offered MAF + 2nd around the league with no takers. What would the trade look like? Um...Hutton for MAF + 1st + 3rd?

KiwiGriff

Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
They offered MAF + 2nd around the league with no takers. What would the trade look like? Um...Hutton for MAF + 1st + 3rd?
I imagine it probably would include a 1st. I'd trade Hutton, a 1st (lottery protected) and a 3rd to Vegas for Fleury. I think we'll improve next year, so the 1st might be in the 10-20 range, but let's just say I wouldn't be shocked if we are here again next year and giving up the 8th pick for a top tier goalie is acceptable. The cost might be higher than that though and I don't think I go much higher than Hutton\1st\3rd

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Vegas reportedly offered MAF @ 50% retained + 2nd and that was turned down. The counter offer was MAF @ 50% retained + 1st + 2nd.

I'm betting that Vegas waits to see what team is left out in the cold with the goalie musical chairs and makes an offer then.

I don't see the Sabres having any interest in MAF without retention. And if Vegas is retaining 50%, they have no interest in Hutton.

KiwiGriff

Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
What? Huh? A first for Fluery?????

There are like a hundred goalies on the market for free....
I know, its speculation haha :).
I think he's still top tier, and they're 2nd tier goalies. Is Markstrom better than Fleury? Or Holtby? Or Khudobin? Each has claims to it, but for patches of great performance Fleury has been a consistent great performer... and I'm tired of "one day this draft pick will be good" while we continue to suck in goal. Maybe a 1st is too steep, but it's what I think Vegas will be expecting.

KiwiGriff

Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
I'm betting that Vegas waits to see what team is left out in the cold with the goalie musical chairs and makes an offer then.
This is probably on the money. Vegas, see who's left standing without a chair, and then get a higher return for MAF. I hope we get a seat, and we don't just keep Hutton sitting on ours, rocking quietly and talking to himself.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I know, its speculation haha :).
I think he's still top tier, and they're 2nd tier goalies. Is Markstrom better than Fleury? Or Holtby? Or Khudobin? Each has claims to it, but for patches of great performance Fleury has been a consistent great performer... and I'm tired of "one day this draft pick will be good" while we continue to suck in goal. Maybe a 1st is too steep, but it's what I think Vegas will be expecting.

Vegas can't give MAF away @ 50% retained.

Markstrom is way better than MAF right now.

I'd take Khudobin over MAF.

Holtby and MAF are stay away guys for me.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This is probably on the money. Vegas, see who's left standing without a chair, and then get a higher return for MAF. I hope we get a seat, and we don't just keep Hutton sitting on ours, rocking quietly and talking to himself.

Vegas needs to move salary out. I would be more interested in other players.

There will be a lot better options in net than MAF.

Plus, I'm guessing Buffalo is on MAF's 10 team no trade list.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I imagine it probably would include a 1st. I'd trade Hutton, a 1st (lottery protected) and a 3rd to Vegas for Fleury. I think we'll improve next year, so the 1st might be in the 10-20 range, but let's just say I wouldn't be shocked if we are here again next year and giving up the 8th pick for a top tier goalie is acceptable. The cost might be higher than that though and I don't think I go much higher than Hutton\1st\3rd

You misread my post. Vegas would have to include picks to move MAF.

Reactions: KiwiGriff

KiwiGriff

Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
You misread my post. Vegas would have to include picks to move MAF.
I did indeed :) This is like thinking out loud for me. My statements are often not fully formed ideas, more like starting points. Sometimes I look back at the beginning of an idea and think "WTF" how did I start with that. I know it's probably different to most people here who put more thought into a proposal, and it's why I sure as hell am not a GM. My destination often ain't the path I started on.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Look at space in cap as rental space. You should get assists for space.

Buffalo could say taken 2 $4Zm players and get 2nd for taking them thrn flipping thrm at deadline for 2nds. Day hry only have 1 yr contracts.

Getting MAF for 2 yrs for a late 1st isn’t enough.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Every now and then one of us comes up with a hypothetical trade, or wants to discuss a scenario. I thought it would be good to have a single thread for that.

To start the ball rolling ... with Lehner signed at Vegas, what would you guys think of having Fleury for two years at 7M? I’d be interested depending on what had to be given up in return. He’s still a damn good goalie and that might be the two years needed for 6K to make his way into the NHL.
Retained alotvof salary awesome.. Hutton can play in whatever league has s slightly smaller net...

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Vegas reportedly offered MAF @ 50% retained + 2nd and that was turned down. The counter offer was MAF @ 50% retained + 1st + 2nd.

I don't see the Sabres having any interest in MAF without retention. And if Vegas is retaining 50%, they have no interest in Hutton.

Theres a small codocil in the bargaining agreement.. If a player is filling in for the zamboni driver his salary does not miraculously count against the cap.. If he while driving the zamboni has repeated eye issues.. His salary and eyeglass appt are covered 50 percent by new york state as hes moved off the roster and onto disability.. Also if a czeck player is deemed necessary for sanity of those in erie county .. Ecmc will cover half the salary of that entertainer or athlete not counting against the cap..paid for in deal with thr jacobs family allowing them to come to buffalo from time to time.. These are the winning moves Adams makes in order to resign a rejuvenated Matt Moulson at nhl minimum to fill out the roster. Goid times ahead.. Moulsons wife drugged Jack's spaghetti on the weekends as his outlook always remain s in the year 2015... Theres solutions for everything.. Dahlin suddenly donates his time at 1 milliom aav for three years as Adams once saved him from drowning in the Arctic on a trip after the cup win in the Arctic when dahlin was 8 years old.. This was covered by tickets sales in last years sweden series. . Eichel home will be fitted with glass walls for cash donated by darpa for new ways to create drama. Fulling covering his salary.. We all must adjust ..

Last edited:
Reactions: KiwiGriff

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Panthers fan slowly entering BUF thread with hands up....

IF in another 2-3 weeks, (6-10 games) you guys aren't doing so hot, does Eric Staal become available? Hate to ask you guys but threads may start popping up if you don't go on a 4-1-1/5-0-1 tear soon.
With you guys in a different division this year, was hoping to see both of our teams take the next step.

Again, IF he was available in 2-3 weeks, what is the asking price?
Feel he would be a solid 2C stopgap for us with Lundell waiting in the shadows.

Didn't see a trade thread on your main page so move this post elsewhere if need be MODs.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

IF in another 2-3 weeks, (6-10 games) you guys aren't doing so hot, does Eric Staal become available? Hate to ask you guys but threads may start popping up if you don't go on a 4-1-1/5-0-1 tear soon.
With you guys in a different division this year, was hoping to see both of our teams take the next step.

Didn't see a trade thread on your main page so move this post elsewhere if need be MODs.

It's playoffs or bust this year for the Sabres, so I don't see the team selling off assets unless the wheels really fall off, and even then it'll probably at the deadline.

As of right now, the Sabres are in the playoff hunt, so I'd say the answer is no, they aren't going to be unloading Staal

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It's playoffs or bust this year for the Sabres, so I don't see the team selling off assets unless the wheels really fall off, and even then it'll probably at the deadline.

As of right now, the Sabres are in the playoff hunt, so I'd say the answer is no, they aren't going to be unloading Staal

Same for the Panthers.

Appreciate the feedback, didn't want to give off the vulture vibe.
I hope you guys can pull it off, both our teams have been mired in player/coaching/GM turnover and just prefer to see new teams get in, have their time to shine.

Trade deadline is April 12th so maybe I'll circle back in mid to late March but for now, hope you guys can get on a run after your postponed games.

Cheers!

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

2nd + B prospect maybe

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
That's exactly what I'd offer and seems fair for Staal:

2021 2nd + Heponiemi (LW)/Noel (RW)/Borgstrom (C/LW)/Gildon (LD) etc.

How has he looked so far, only seen small sample size in those two NJ games.
In the first games he didn’t look very good, but then he looked better, it seems he had good chemistry with Cozens and Olofsson. He's good at face-off, he can definitely still score. In D-Zone, he did not look very good, so it is better to give him more O-Zone, but for some reason our coach does not do this.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
In the first games he didn’t look very good, but then he looked better, it seems he had good chemistry with Cozens and Olofsson. He's good at face-off, he can definitely still score. In D-Zone, he did not look very good, so it is better to give him more O-Zone, but for some reason our coach does not do this.

Good to hear, still a solid player even at 36 years old. Thinking he still has another year or two in him for sure.
I saw his one goal against NJ.
Thanks for the reply.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad