Hypothetical - 'Playoff Experience' shenanigans

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I agree that the Leafs wouldn't benefit from getting swept in the first round. This is actually something that could hurt the team going forward, considering they would be holding their heads high going into the playoffs but getting manhandled by the Bruins or Habs would certainly knock them down a peg and kill their confidence as a team.

It works both ways though, if say the Leafs go on a hefty playoff run and win a couple of seven-game series. That kind of experience would be instrumental in helping this young team take the next step to becoming a cup contender.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Does anyone really feel like 'Playoff Experience' is something that will make a big contribution (do or die kinda thing) to a hockey team in the post-season, because I don't. Seeing the Canucks, Bruins, Redwings and Penguins Eliminated in the 1st round last year really tells me that It isn't something valued at all. Its annoying how so many fans of other teams are constantly stepping on the leafs due to their lack of playoff experience.. Besides Louder fans, more pressure, more intensity, tougher competition, no SO etc. etc. there really isn't alot that separates playoffs from regular season games Its not like your team starts every game down by a goal or something like that..

Anyone Agree? Disagree?

have u ever played sports?

when your season is on the line people crumble and some love the pressure, they thrive on it. yes it matters u need playoff experience, but more for a bounce back aka last season was a learning thing for this team and imo when they get bounced in the playoffs it will be a big learning thing. also when u have had the playoffs a couple of times u start learning things that aren't in regular season games aka getting under players skins... it can get nasty sometimes.

so to sum it up... to count someone out because they dont have any playoff experience is stupid but playoff experience is important for development.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
have u ever played sports?

when your season is on the line people crumble and some love the pressure, they thrive on it. yes it matters u need playoff experience, but more for a bounce back aka last season was a learning thing for this team and imo when they get bounced in the playoffs it will be a big learning thing. also when u have had the playoffs a couple of times u start learning things that aren't in regular season games aka getting under players skins... it can get nasty sometimes.

so to sum it up... to count someone out because they dont have any playoff experience is stupid but playoff experience is important for development.
We're going to have to learn how to play smart as well. Playoff experiences teaches one how to contain top players, abuse goalies, using size sparingly but effectively, and all without getting penalized.

I suggest fans ought to see how Gary Roberts behaves during the playoffs. In fact, we'll see JVR, Kulemin, Phaneuf and others learn how to rattle the opposition more effectively. You learn so much more about the opposition ( especially weaknesses) during high-stake competitions.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Experience helps keep a team focused on the task at hand but lack of experience does not necessarily mean lack of focus and it surely doesn't mean talent with vanish. Leafs will do fine if they stick to their system.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Does anyone really feel like 'Playoff Experience' is something that will make a big contribution (do or die kinda thing) to a hockey team in the post-season, because I don't. Seeing the Canucks, Bruins, Redwings and Penguins Eliminated in the 1st round last year really tells me that It isn't something valued at all. Its annoying how so many fans of other teams are constantly stepping on the leafs due to their lack of playoff experience.. Besides Louder fans, more pressure, more intensity, tougher competition, no SO etc. etc. there really isn't alot that separates playoffs from regular season games Its not like your team starts every game down by a goal or something like that..

Anyone Agree? Disagree?

Yes it does matter the LA kings dom't win the cup without carter and Richards getting to the final in 2010, the 2009 pens don't win without going to the final in 08. hell even the 80's oilers didn't win right away.

Playoff experience is vital

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad