Hypothetical - 'Playoff Experience' shenanigans

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Does anyone really feel like 'Playoff Experience' is something that will make a big contribution (do or die kinda thing) to a hockey team in the post-season, because I don't. Seeing the Canucks, Bruins, Redwings and Penguins Eliminated in the 1st round last year really tells me that It isn't something valued at all. Its annoying how so many fans of other teams are constantly stepping on the leafs due to their lack of playoff experience.. Besides Louder fans, more pressure, more intensity, tougher competition, no SO etc. etc. there really isn't alot that separates playoffs from regular season games Its not like your team starts every game down by a goal or something like that..

Anyone Agree? Disagree?

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Not sure what your main point is here.

Playoffs are huge. It seems like you were saying that only contenders can benefit from the players but also mentioned how Pitts, Detroit all lost.

Anything can happen in the playoffs. It will allow many players on a team a first look at the playoffs.

The biggest thing that is different between the two is that you really need to be firing for every game. One bad night, and you will be out of the race.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Not sure what your main point is here.

Playoffs are huge. It seems like you were saying that only contenders can benefit from the players but also mentioned how Pitts, Detroit all lost.

Anything can happen in the playoffs. It will allow many players on a team a first look at the playoffs.

The biggest thing that is different between the two is that you really need to be firing for every game. One bad night, and you will be out of the race.

Just kinda trying to say that people put low expectations on the leafs (1st round exit, lose in 5 games kinda thing) because we lack 'playoff experience', which I think is absolutely false. I think we can make a good run even without playoff experience

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
It's just an excuse thrown around for when younger, inexperienced teams get bounced from the playoffs. Experienced or not, they'll either show up to play or not.

Any team can do just about anything in the playoffs nowadays.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Just kinda trying to say that people put low expectations on the leafs (1st round exit, lose in 5 games kinda thing) because we lack 'playoff experience', which I think is absolutely false. I think we can make a good run even without playoff experience

Oh, my bad. Ya, Proline: "Anything can happen, anyone can win" ;)

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Playoff hockey is different yes. Usually more structured and disciplined play is involved but it's not a drastic change. It will be interesting to see how the Leafs match this challenge but once they get a taste, it shouldn't be that big of an issue to overcome to be honest. Especially with how the East stacks up right now and the fact that most of the teams that advance are just getting 'hot' at the right time.

thatshype

Jul 3, 2010
I don't think "playoff" experience is what counts....I think it's more WINNING experience. I'm not talking about experience winning the Cup....I'm just talking about players that know what it takes to win games.

The Leafs have actually done very respectable in home-and-home series' this year. I think our style of play (tough physically, good special teams) will translate well to a 7-game series. I'm excited for playoffs and as we all know, it's a WHOLE new ballgame once the puck gets dropped.

Penalty Kill Icing*

I am pretty sure that you won't find cup winners who missed the playoffs in the previous season.

That should be an indication of some sort.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I am pretty sure that you won't find cup winners who missed the playoffs in the previous season.

That should be an indication of some sort.

nope but I believe recent examples like Tampa and Chicago have it where they have gone really deep(conference finals) after years of nothing. Then Chicago obviously won the cup the next year.

We could easily go deep, very, very doubtful we win the cup, I dont think we have that talent YET, but IMO we're on the right track. Not out of the question if we keep this pace up for the next couple years.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
It exists.

Just like the jump from the AHL to the NHL exists, so does a jump from the regular season to the postseason. That experience is vital to how you prepare for the next game.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
In the past, it seemed like a lot of teams needed to pay their dues before finding success in winning the Stanley Cup. This might not actually be all that necessary any more since it seems like you can be a relatively inexperienced team and jump up and catch the right momentum to win. The Chicago Blackhawks missed the playoffs 9 out of 10 years, then went to the semi finals in 2009 and won it all in 2010. The San Jose Sharks and Vancouver Canucks have been getting playoff experience for years with no success. Seems like you can kind of win with talented kids who just get hot at the right time these days.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
am not saying playoff experience = stanley cup
in the end, it's the team that plays the hardest
that wins

however...
experience always helps in certain situations
how can you disagree with that

playoff experience for the Leafs will benefit them for years to come

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Obviously the more experienced team doesnt always win the series...

However, you cant deny that playoff experience is a good thing for a team to have.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Does anyone really feel like 'Playoff Experience' is something that will make a big contribution (do or die kinda thing) to a hockey team in the post-season, because I don't. Seeing the Canucks, Bruins, Redwings and Penguins Eliminated in the 1st round last year really tells me that It isn't something valued at all. Its annoying how so many fans of other teams are constantly stepping on the leafs due to their lack of playoff experience.. Besides Louder fans, more pressure, more intensity, tougher competition, no SO etc. etc. there really isn't alot that separates playoffs from regular season games Its not like your team starts every game down by a goal or something like that..

Anyone Agree? Disagree?

When one enters the work force, is someone straight out of University with no experience, on the same level as one who has years of experience? Therefore does experience matter?

A sports team and its players learn from losses what is required to win.

So experience in NHL playoffs will play a part in the outcomes, but it doesn't guarantee wins nor losses necessarily. But our Leafs will be a disadvantage in that regard.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
I think "playoff experience" is over rated. What it really boils down to is that teams that make it farther are typically the better teams on paper (like in the regular season for example). Teams don't typically jump from worst to first, no matter how many offseason moves and trades you make, thus comes this fallacy of experience. There's a natural talent progression curve, so of course it is highly likely that you have to win a round or two a year prior before you can win the cup. Match-ups and Talent determine how far you go in the playoffs.

The games are a little different in that you're facing better competition, and that it's more of a race to 4 wins rather than a marathon like the regular season.

I say that playoff experience doesn't create good teams. Good teams create playoff experience. It's all about causality. Teams don't get good overnight, which gives the illusion that playoff experience means something significant. Last I checked, the only thing that changes in the playoffs is that there is no shootouts (which we suck at). It's still the same game with the same players.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I think "playoff experience" is over rated. What it really boils down to is that teams that make it farther are typically the better teams on paper (like in the regular season for example). Teams don't typically jump from worst to first, no matter how many offseason moves and trades you make, thus comes this fallacy of experience. There's a natural talent progression curve, so of course it is highly likely that you have to win a round or two a year prior before you can win the cup. Match-ups and Talent determine how far you go in the playoffs.

The games are a little different in that you're facing better competition, and that it's more of a race to 4 wins rather than a marathon like the regular season.

I say that playoff experience doesn't create good teams. Good teams create playoff experience. It's all about causality. Teams don't get good overnight, which gives the illusion that playoff experience means something significant. Last I checked, the only thing that changes in the playoffs is that there is no shootouts (which we suck at). It's still the same game with the same players.

:handclap: We have a winner!^:nod:

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
The thing about the whole playoff experience and good teams in the playoffs is that its not just skill that wins in playoffs. Will also is a huge deciding factor, teams that are willing to die to win the game even underdogs can win against anybody. I'm not sure how many of you watched the knights memorial cup run last year but Austin Watson was a warrior for them, teams that are fortunate to have players that are willing to play like that are teams to be feared in the playoffs. Lately Gunnersson has been incredible in that regard as well. All the shot blocks at the end of the game even after the one looked like it stung he blocked another right right after. Closing in on the end of the season we need more people to step up like that and hopefully stay healthy while doing it.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
I don't think so, when you hear Gretzky talk about it, he said getting experience in the playoffs was huge for their dynasty to be able to take off, learning how hard you need to push to be pushing as hard as everyone else.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
We have individuals who have playoff experience, that is all that matters to me. Let people write us off as an easy out, they did the same thing to Nashville and ST. Louis and look what happened there? Same with Phoenix.

Here are some of our individual players stats in the playoffs:

Phil Kessel: 15gp 9g 6a 15pts
JVR: 39pg 11g 4a 15pts
Dion Phaneuf: 25gp 5g 7a 12pts
Cody Franson: 16gp 1g 6a 7pts
Joffrey Lupul: 39gp 14g 9a 23pts
Jay McClement: 4gp 0g 0a 0pts
JML: 36gp: 4g 7a 11pts
Ryan O'Byrne: 19gp 0g 0a 0pts
Mark Fraser: 1gp 0g 0a 0pts

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
wayne gretzky once quoted that when the oilers lost to the islanders in the finals they were pretty bummed out about it and when they went by islanders dressing room they were surprised to see the lack of celebrations ect because they were hurt, exhausted ect. it made that young oilers team realize just how much it takes to win it all. at least the story was something like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad