Hypothetical new MSG design question

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Oooh, I'm going to like this thread. I have OPINIONS about what a new arena should have.

The "new generation" of arenas starting with Anaheim, Boston, etc. are starting to age out, and they all suffered from a degree of sameness and blandness that robbed fans of any kind of unique character from city to city.

We need a few must-haves to modernize:
- Steeper seating bowl like you mentioned they have in Montreal. There's still too much "DOWN IN FRONT!" needed at the Garden
- Front seats right up against the glass all the way around the rink
- Dressing room access directly from both benches
- Longer distance between glass panel seams
- Better ice by any means necessary
- No obstructed views. The bridge is an interesting gimmick, but obstructing the view of the scoreboard for thousands of people is not the way to go about it
- For the love of f***, emergency exits that are up to code

Nice-to-haves:
- Overall seating capacity for hockey over 20,000
- More leg room and consistent seat pitch across the entire arena
- Cup holder at every seat
- Luxury boxes that are similar in number but don't feel like they separate bowls as much
- Actual customizable horn
- More bathrooms
- More/wider/higher concourses
- More views of the street from concourses
- Similar unique roof but with a lot more head room to allow for steeper bowl and a bigger scorebaord
- LED informational signage the whole circumference of the arena
- Intuitive section and seat numbering
- Some ability to walk the circumference of the arena while inside it (MSG used to have this on 6 and 7 - newer arenas tend to have it all the way in the back, or at least partially, like at UBS arena)
This, and although not going to happen, the ability to walk down from the top to the bottom, like we used to be able to. It was such a good shortcut to leaving. Now it’s honestly mind blowing that their current exits are legal.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
This, and although not going to happen, the ability to walk down from the top to the bottom, like we used to be able to. It was such a good shortcut to leaving. Now it’s honestly mind blowing that their current exits are legal.
Unfortunately not a likely thing in the era of mid-height luxury suites.

Reactions: Kane One

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
GLOR7v4XQAAG3wQ

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah, that’s why I said it’s not going to happen. They just need to have better exits. At this point that’s kind of all I care about.

I might be a grumpy f***, but I don’t care about the food, concourses, or bathrooms.
With you on the food. Baseball, sure. Baseball is a different vibe. Nice weather, 162 games.

I go to hockey games to yell and be miserable.

Megustaelhockey

Apr 29, 2011
The LA Clippers new arena is definitely going weird with some of their features... including a "wall" feature designed to have 51 uninterrupted rows of fans. Features destined to make arenas tougher on opponents should definitely be part of any design process.

Megustaelhockey

Apr 29, 2011
Out of your 80-billion ideas, I wonder how this would work in the current context of 20”wide seats where I’m barely avoiding elbowing penalties with my seat mates?
Just build the arena assuming the way people are in 2024, rather than the mid 1960s.

Megustaelhockey

Apr 29, 2011
Cup holders should be a requirement in any new arena. But they simply can't be a thing in the current MSG with the lack of leg room.
I remember going to a game in Buffalo and being super impressed by how much leg room there was. I said out loud, "This leg room is amazing," and a woman nearby shouted, "We're just fat!" lmao

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
25,000 person arena. upper deck required to be cheap and for rowdy rangers fans. roof of the garden to look the same. name of arena to be madison square garden. arena needs to be near mass transit "hubs"

Reactions: nyrmetros

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Another thing I wished a new hypothetical MSG would have are more tables, or ledges along the walls where you could set your drink and eat. The 8th floor would be hard to do since it's much narrower, but there is plenty of space on the 6th floor.

Reactions: Megustaelhockey

Megustaelhockey

Apr 29, 2011
I've never experienced as long of an exit time from the building as I did last night. It took me almost 30 minutes to get from the bridge to the street. Absolutely terrifying.

Reactions: JRinNYC

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
I've never experienced as long of an exit time from the building as I did last night. It took me almost 30 minutes to get from the bridge to the street. Absolutely terrifying.
Yeah, it was insane! Took the stairs down tower A and we just stood there waiting and that was waiting till after the 3 stars were announced. I don't know what the hold up was. I rarely take the escalators since they are even slower. I should have gone up to the 10th floor and used one of the less used stair cases to exit. Wonder how they were.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Random thought I had during game 1 intermission: we should put 99 in the rafters.

It's retired anyway. He played for the Rangers. I cannot put into words, especially for those of us old enough to see Gretzky play, what an all-time honor it was that he played for the Rangers. To me, it's literally one of the most important things in our history. It's Wayne f***ing Gretzky.

His number is properly retired by Edmonton and LA. It should be retired here. If Wayne Gretzky played for my team, I would hang that up in my building.

Megustaelhockey

Apr 29, 2011
Random thought I had during game 1 intermission: we should put 99 in the rafters.

It's retired anyway. He played for the Rangers. I cannot put into words, especially for those of us old enough to see Gretzky play, what an all-time honor it was that he played for the Rangers. To me, it's literally one of the most important things in our history. It's Wayne f***ing Gretzky.

His number is properly retired by Edmonton and LA. It should be retired here. If Wayne Gretzky played for my team, I would hang that up in my building.
Ehhhh, I go back and forth on this. He did play his last games with us... but it's also like the Avalanche retiring Bourque's number.

I don't want to remember much beyond 1994 about an era where we had to get talent from literally everywhere else in order to win. Between the Rangers, Knicks, and Billy Joel (lol), there are a lot of banners already.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ehhhh, I go back and forth on this. He did play his last games with us... but it's also like the Avalanche retiring Bourque's number.

I don't want to remember much beyond 1994 about an era where we had to get talent from literally everywhere else in order to win. Between the Rangers, Knicks, and Billy Joel (lol), there are a lot of banners already.
If it wasn't already retired, I wouldn't do it, but it is, so it's not that much of a reach for me.

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY

Don't forget about the Phish banner as well. :sarcasm:

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
I'm a huge sports fan and even I can admit what a crime against architecture this was.

While beautiful, it was outdated very quickly. I am a Cooper Union grad, and fellow alumn Adolf Weinmann carved all the stonework for the old Penn, which is why the school was bequeathed an Eagle, and I know about the station's history.

It was designed as a showpiece, but wasn't practical when the use of the station changed from long distance to commuter traffic. It was deep in order for trains to go under the rivers, and that left a lot of sky to the imagination, but also ensured that it could be buried without loss of functionality. I could go on, but I digress...

Amazon Prime recommended a movie to me some time ago. It's called "The Tenth Victim". So I gave it a play. The opening scenes were shot in then under destruction Penn Station. As soon as I saw the main waiting room, I knew were it was filmed. There are even some shots in the train shed... But I was even more surprised when I realized how much this film inspired Mike Meyers and the Austin Powers films... I won't give any spoilers here, but you won't need to wait long after starting the film.

Reactions: noncents

Megustaelhockey

Apr 29, 2011
While beautiful, it was outdated very quickly. I am a Cooper Union grad, and fellow alumn Adolf Weinmann carved all the stonework for the old Penn, which is why the school was bequeathed an Eagle, and I know about the station's history.

It was designed as a showpiece, but wasn't practical when the use of the station changed from long distance to commuter traffic. It was deep in order for trains to go under the rivers, and that left a lot of sky to the imagination, but also ensured that it could be buried without loss of functionality. I could go on, but I digress...

Amazon Prime recommended a movie to me some time ago. It's called "The Tenth Victim". So I gave it a play. The opening scenes were shot in then under destruction Penn Station. As soon as I saw the main waiting room, I knew were it was filmed. There are even some shots in the train shed... But I was even more surprised when I realized how much this film inspired Mike Meyers and the Austin Powers films... I won't give any spoilers here, but you won't need to wait long after starting the film.
Great info here. Thanks. I'll have to check it out.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013

I'd rather see them take care of Brad Park first...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad